Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a section for Hand Tool discussion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a section for Hand Tool discussion?

We have two sections for Power Tools but as best as I know there's none for hand tools other than to merge them on somewhere. I really would like for there to be a special section for Hand and not Power Tools.

What do the rest of you think about this? Good / Bad / Other _____

Re: How about a section for Hand Tool discussion?

GOOD! I grew up in the era where about the only power tools were a Skilsaw and an electric drill. Surprised my neighbor the other day when I took a handsaw and cut a compound mitre. He didn't think that was possible. ????

Comment

Good idea!!!!!!!!!!
      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

While I have a powered miter saw, I still like my manual one better. With the right blade (much like used in a power hacksaw) I can make nice miter cuts in materials I wouldn't even attempt cutting using the powered one.

I'm sure my hand tools out number my power tools by more than 10 to 1 and the same for most others. Think of plumbers. I'm sure most of their tools are "One Person" powered.

With that in mind I wonder how many forum members have ever seen or better yet used a "Two Person" crosscut saw to fell a small tree or cut it up once on the ground.

Rather than going to the gym and paying them good money think of the nice workout we can get building something using the old grunt & groan way. LOL (but it is a good form of exercise)

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          With that in mind I wonder how many forum members have ever seen or better yet used a "Two Person" crosscut saw to fell a small tree or cut it up once on the ground.
          While I have seen one, I have not used one...
          I have, however, felled and cut up a 16" dia (trunk size) maple a few years ago using only an axe, a hatchet, and a bow saw...
          Saw was similar to this, but a bit larger...

Not fun in the heat - but what a workout - give me a chainsaw anyday now...LOL

Comment

A picture of a two person saw is below. This saw cuts in both directions and the sawing team must work together. The puller does the hard work while the pusher has to guide the saw. Each person in the team of two has to get along with the other or it's just lots of hard grunting and very little cutting gets done. There have been variations but this should give the basic idea of what they are. At some county fairs they have contests using saws like this along with ax chopping.

When I started this thread as a suggestion I had in mind that Ridgid has a vast line of hand tools. Considering there are two sections for power tools, I would think that Hand Tools should have one or more sections on this forum. Maybe a combined section called TOOLS and then division from there would work out for this.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Woussko; 10-03-2007, 05:32 PM.

Comment

That would be a good idea, it seems hand tool talk gets put into open disscution alot.

Comment

Working...
              X