X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Light...18V LED would be nice.

I do HVAC work both service and installs. Soooo spend a lot of time in attics running copper overhead, sealing up ducts, and working on airhandlers in attics. Like every other AC guy I've tried every type of head light, flashlight, and work light u can imagine. All have their draw backs...too big, not bright enough, flashlights take a hand to hold that I need for tools and mastic, heats up attic (500w halogen flood lights)....sooo I was thinking. Since I own a bunch of Ridgid 18V tools....why not ask u all to make a miners type head light....with a belt mounted battery holder. I'm not an electrical engineer but seems too me that the 18v ni-cads should be able to power a boat load of LED bulbs....for a long time.....sooo for example 20 or 30 white LED bulbs mounted in a miners type head light should light up an attic really well, and leave the hands free to do the hippo in the attic, rafter to rafter walk or crawl.

Re: Head Light...18V LED would be nice.

you know something, i ain't to big on the flash lights my self, but i really like this idea. if you get enough positive feed back you might want to suggst this to both "josh" an "proband" they work for ridgid and might be able to take this idea farther
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have done a lot of crawling in attics and under homes.At this time I can't think of where it would be good to fasten on ones body to where your not having it being uncomfortable.There are so many positions you have to manuever in to get to something tight.They have done some very good upgrades to the headlights done for rockclimbers.I just use the campers style $40.00,four different settings,including red if you want to entertain someone,they think it looks cool.

Welcome to the forum
      Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
        I do HVAC work both service and installs. Soooo spend a lot of time in attics running copper overhead, sealing up ducts, and working on airhandlers in attics. Like every other AC guy I've tried every type of head light, flashlight, and work light u can imagine. All have their draw backs...too big, not bright enough, flashlights take a hand to hold that I need for tools and mastic, heats up attic (500w halogen flood lights)....sooo I was thinking. Since I own a bunch of Ridgid 18V tools....why not ask u all to make a miners type head light....with a belt mounted battery holder. I'm not an electrical engineer but seems too me that the 18v ni-cads should be able to power a boat load of LED bulbs....for a long time.....sooo for example 20 or 30 white LED bulbs mounted in a miners type head light should light up an attic really well, and leave the hands free to do the hippo in the attic, rafter to rafter walk or crawl.
        Evil Gopher-

Wouldn't this type of tool fall into the "too big" category? I've got a Petzl Zoom that I use for hiking/climbing/camping/etc... it illuminates pretty decent. It does use big duracell batteries... I know they also have headlamps with multi-leds... run on triple As. They may not be bright enough, but they're as bright as the flashlights you get with your combo kits.

Comment

Guess its one of thouse hummmm things... I know every tech at the shop has a diffrent approach...as do the plumers in our shop...funny never figured plumers for attic dewlers until I helped with a re-pipe job.......I like the everady head light...but just not "perfect"....same with the DeWalt flashlight that I got with a kit...the snake like setup just dont work worth beans for me....seen the miners type light on a news channler about miners and went hummmmmm maybe that would work....just an idea....of course thats why I fix the ac unit and not working in the marketing department of Ridgid

Comment

Try looking here http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/sear...s*ls*Headlamps. REI is a very good adventure store outfitter and has a wide variety of headlamps. REI provides an excellent no hassle return if not satisfied policy. I do alot of back packing and canoe treking and have had several lamps over the years including a large one with a remote battery on a long wire lead. I currently have small Princton LED which provides pretty good light and has a halegon bulb when real intensity is needed. Some models have both of those built into one lamp and can be switched depending on need. I prefer the lite double strap model as it stays in place when moving the head around while working.
            Good luck....Ray
            PS-REI has stores in many major metro areas.
            Last edited by roadrashray; 10-29-2007, 08:23 PM.

Comment

i bought one of these rayovacs at costco for $14. this thing is amazing. I have a petzl that runs on 4 C batteries in a belt-pack, and a princeton headlamp that was the "brightest" sold for a time, and this little thing beats the crap out of them. it has 80 lumens off 3 AA batteries, and will run for hours and hours. compare that to my surefire handheld light that runs 65 lumens on CR123 batteries and will only run an hour (though still smaller and brighter than an old maglight).

http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/lu...b.shtml#.shtml

its got a relatively focused beam, but the beam angle is adjustable to your preference. its not going to light up an entire attic, but its going to beat the pants off many more expensive headlamps

Comment

heck there using l.e.d.s for head lights on cars now, look at this.....

LED Headlights Introduced

by Justin Thomas, Virginia on 10.25.06

Science & Technology (electronics)

LED-based headlights have appeared on the new car scene: the Audi R8 and Lexus LS will be the first vehicles to be using LED headlights. The benefits of LED headlights are lower power consumption, durability and significantly more flexible packaging. However, it does appear that heat build up within LEDs are a big issue, as are the fact that the LEDs need to deal with the heat from the engine compartment. See this post from Wheel Talk for a detailed examination of the new headlights.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

LEDs are being used for traffic signals (green, red and yellow) in my area and I see them on the rear of our new city buses in red & yellow. I see lots of bright yellow LEDs being used for highway arrow boards. Heck, I bet soon I'll be using the white ones for lighting in my place.

Cooling is an issue and I'm sure engineers are working on this problem. I'm not too sure how they will work out for headlamps but they would be nice for corner marking and red tail lights on cars and trucks.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 10-30-2007, 12:16 AM.

Comment

woussko my dump has them on the rear sides and front marker/turn signals but i still have the stock type headlights.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by funkymonkey1111 View Post
                      i bought one of these rayovacs at costco for $14. this thing is amazing. I have a petzl that runs on 4 C batteries in a belt-pack, and a princeton headlamp that was the "brightest" sold for a time, and this little thing beats the crap out of them. it has 80 lumens off 3 AA batteries, and will run for hours and hours. compare that to my surefire handheld light that runs 65 lumens on CR123 batteries and will only run an hour (though still smaller and brighter than an old maglight).

http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/lu...b.shtml#.shtml

its got a relatively focused beam, but the beam angle is adjustable to your preference. its not going to light up an entire attic, but its going to beat the pants off many more expensive headlamps
                      Wow......That looks like a lot of lamp for the price. Put it in my faves. The only problem I might see for a hyvac guy would be the battery pack on the back of the head being uncomfortable when working lying on your back.
                      Last edited by roadrashray; 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X