X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The art of doing business

My thought is, how about a Business section where all trades can share hints and advice about things they've learned the hard way? (We'll steer clear of the whole flat-rate/hourly debate) All trades can find some common ground in this. Being able to run you business effectively is usually the make or break in a business.
    Just a thought for the next round of upgrades/changes.
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Re: The art of doing business

That is one heck of a good idea.
    There are so many details, like markup on stock/subs, tax breaks/write-offs...buz software we could compare, effective marketing (targeting, media type...etc).
    Foreseeably the topic would get..."zesty" from time to time, but the exchange of idea's on this level could make or break some of us, or simply boost our income as well as help the trades over-all in our prospective area's.
    We'd just have to keep tabs on not letting different styles, techniques and motives from getting personal.

Comment

Did anyone from ridgid reviewed this thread?

Comment

This is a very good idea!!! Hope to see it happen
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Closed forum for business owners only.

General public doesn't need to see your playbook before the game is played.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

My thoughts exactly.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

not that i didagree with that i just feel that if there is a "closed forum" it will take away somthing from this site.

also i used to be a bisinness owner, but i am not any more, does this mean i can not help and or sujest things?

also how would you beable to tell who is a "bisiness owner" vs an employee, vs a home owner?
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I would feel more comfortable if it was intended for business owners.But it is not a necessity.I realize if a dishonest person wants in they will manipulate and deceive to whatever level they deem rewarding.

Comment

Federal Tax ID number...........Current

Safely given to Josh for verification.

Comment

I will tell robert to tell me all the gossip inside it..

Don't worry osc..i will be pm-ing you to let you know what thoughts they shared...

Comment

Federal Tax ID number...........Current

Safely given to Josh for verification.
                      I guess that excludes all Canadians, Brits, Aussies etc. etc.
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------
                      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
                        I guess that excludes all Canadians, Brits, Aussies etc. etc.

Oh I'm sure there is some kind of registrar or license holding number that comes with the territory of where you live.

That statement wasn't meant to exclude anyone that rightfully owns a business.

Surely it would be hard to police and surely info could be leaked...but it's not like we're discussing top secret knowledge.

I have some topics I wouldn't mind discussing but won't do it in a public forum that relates solely to operations of a business. I've talked about accepting credit cards, bad checks and the like but that's in direct correlation to onlookers that should know how businesses deal with it...possibly warn them of how businesses collect and what not.

Lots of people participate in forums from Canada/Austrailia that I personally deal with. It's good to have a view of plumbing systems/trade practices other than US.

Comment

That was a suggestion I made back when I first joined.
                          A thread was taken up with the discussion that it would be very nice to do things like compare techniques, tools, even rates without having to worry that "budget conscious" landlords or handyman services (illegally competing with us) could peak in and learn at our expense.
                          An argument was made that it would be completely daunting, maybe impossible, to check all licenses in each state.
                          As a sole prop the simplest of information can be overwhelming to acquire sometimes on top of doing paperwork, estimates, travelling, talking with customers/suppliers/inspectors over the phone, reading MFG specs, organizing tax records...etc.
                          I still think it would be a fantastic idea, but Josh would have a tall order on his hands between checking credentials and setting up a private forum with seperate passwords.
                          Last edited by DuckButter; 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Just kidding Dunbar

I know you didn't mean to exclude the rest of the world

I'm a small business owner myself (carpentry) but it makes me chuckle a bit over the secrecy aspect...

The information is out there for anybody that wants to spend the time looking

I used to laugh at a friend of mine... He did irrigation but he kept all his employees in the dark and wouldn't explain anything to them...
                            He was afraid that if they knew too much they would quit and start their own company
                            Yet he was constantly irritated because they didn't know what was going on and they had to be told what to do every step of the way

I laughed and told him that if I really wanted I could find out everything there was to know about irrigation and start a company within a couple of months. It's not rocket science.

Back to the point... Do you really think that your business would suffer if you discussed a few business practices or tips and tricks on this forum?
                            You could always use pm's for the stuff you didn't want public but secret codes and handshakes etc. to get into a forum full of info that any business development bank etc. hands out for free? With a friend like Google anyone could choke a horse with info in no time flat

Just my take, peace out - Jim
                            Cheers! - Jim
                            -------------
                            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

The federal tax-ID no, would work. We also have an equivalent in Scandinavia & Europe, so that would not be a problem. For example, My firm is called RiR, and my Norwegian company ID-Reg is 987 325 143 MVA. You could try checking this as a test.

Comment

Working...
                              X