No announcement yet.

Where are the fire sprinkler guys???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where are the fire sprinkler guys???

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    ....sprinkler guys not knowing how to properly solder....

rick.
    Soldered joints on sprinkler lines I have never seen here in 31 years, its either screwed or Vic joints. Maybe on residential with less than 15 heads (IIRC that's the limit here that a Plumber can install) it's allowed, but I don't do residential work. But I will find out for sure tomorrow and let you know what the rule is here in NJ.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Soldered joints on sprinkler lines I have never seen here in 31 years, its either screwed or Vic joints. Maybe on residential with less than 15 heads (IIRC that's the limit here that a Plumber can install) it's allowed, but I don't do residential work. But I will find out for sure tomorrow and let you know what the rule is here in NJ.
      The single family residential I use to do was copper. Now they can use CPVC.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

"Nowadays instead of fighting among ourselves we need to be concerned with people taking our work who don't even belong in the country."

Yeah, that's a problem all right. And the big corps like it when we are arguing amongst ourselves, cause we are not paying attention to what they are doing to hurt us, the American worker.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          The single family residential I use to do was copper. Now they can use CPVC.

Mark
          I did a couple of homes with the contractor I was working for,he was able to do it on his plumbing license.It was copper.He wouldn't let me set the heads cause I kept getting the trim and cieling greasy

Comment

"Nowadays instead of fighting among ourselves we need to be concerned with people taking our work who don't even belong in the country."

Yeah, that's a problem all right. And the big corps like it when we are arguing amongst ourselves, cause we are not paying attention to what they are doing to hurt us, the American worker.

Amen to that!! All the illegals, gardners turned plumbers, handymen turned plumbers and the hacks killing the trade.

They should all go home and stop destroying our trade, if they wanna stay, then get proper education and learn to take pride in the trade and raise your rates, keep the money in the USA where you will learn the value of a dollar after you pay taxes on it. Try paying for health care a few months, the value of a dollar really hits home.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Babe you took your pills today Calm down

Comment

Our government which over the years looked the other way and allowed 12 to 20 million illegals, along with the corporations which add to the problem will eventually pay the price. As the American worker faces give backs, take backs, pay cuts, outsourcing, downsizing, layoffs and the rest of the employment horrors after years of hard work, our ability to pay taxes which supports our government also shrinks. As we lose work to illegals who will work for spit and do not pay for many of the services they and their families receive our buying power as consumers also is affected and that's when the corporations will wake up! Who will buy the cars and trucks, the consumer electronics? This Christmas season is giving them a taste of the future, and if and when more of us stop going further into credit card debt they will really understand how stupid it was to give those jobs to the third world and illegals! It's all about quality of life and standard of living, it took a long time to get us where we are, men and women fought and died to establish Unions which allowed for better pay, shorter work week hours, benefits and safer working conditions. If we are ever reduced the standards of the third world worker our government and corporations will be sorry. Never compromise your hard work, never give back!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Actually Plumbers in California were allowed to do Fire Sprinklers up until the "Dorthy May" Law was passed. Then all of the guys who were doing Solar stuff became sprinkler guys. The sad part was the real sprinkler guys had to then compete against solar guys.

Mark
                  I have never heard of the DORTHY MAY LAW But i do know that in 1988
                  you take a lic. class about N.F.P.A. 13 and get the C-16 fire sprinkler,

added to you CA. plumbing lic. because that is what i did to get my lic.

JERRYMAC C36/16
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Well, looked through NFPA 13, 13D, & 13R which cover installation of sprinklers systems in residential settings. Copper and CPVC are both allowed and on wet lines soldered copper is allowed, doesn't have to be brazed. Plumbers doing sprinkler work around here disappeared in the late 60s/early 70s, which is a couple years before my time, and why I never saw it done by plumbers. But I don't recall anyone ever talking about it either.

Found nothing in the NJ Plumbing code that stops a Licensed Master Plumber from installing sprinklers though, but there IS the certification requirement as I spoke of for all installers of fire protection systems ( www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs )

Fire Protection Equipment Contractor Certification Requirements

Taking a quick scan through the 747 contractors listed as qualified to perform fire protection work in the state, I recognize only one contractor who is also runs a mechanical and a plumbing shop (there are no doubt others, I just don't know of them). But I have worked for this contractor in the past and the three divisions are run pretty much independently and not even located at the same facility. About 200 of the 747 are class C1 or C2, which would qualify them to do sprinkler work.

Looking throught he proposed changes (if passed), NJ will be adopting the 2006 IFC in place of the current which is the 1996 BOCA Fire Code.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM. Reason: fixed a typo.

Comment

I have seen copper and soldered fitting on fire sprinkler piping in a MRI room in Staten Island hospital because would could not use any metal in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM638fitter View Post
                        could not use any metal in the room.
                        Do you mean steel pipe?
                        Ferrous metal?

Comment

Yes no Ferrous metals.

Comment

Working...
                          X