X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the fire sprinkler guys???

I am fairly new in the fire sprinkler industry and am a sponge for any information, especially regarding new products. The company I work for loves ridgid tools, especially the 300 Threading machine, the 916 and 918 groovers and the 258 hydraulic cutters. We also recently started fabricating our own pipe. I am pretty ignorant to that side of the business, would like to change that. Are there any fire sprinkler fitters or pipe fabricators out there???

Re: Where are the fire sprinkler guys???

Jessie,
    What are you talking about,once the entire fire protection industry finds out your here they will start flooding in behind you.You guys are kind of sheepish like that.OOOPS,did I say that out loud.
    Just kidding,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Honestly,hang out for a while.Even though we are not under the same license our trades are very similar in equipment and instalation.There are a lot of good people here,most knowledge I have ever found pertaining to my interests

Comment

Yep, we don't have many (if any ) sprinkies on here, so please hang around and welcome to the forum.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

wow i allways thought that plumbers did the fire sprinklers as well. hummmmmm learn something everyday i do................. lol welcome to the group
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thanks guys! Our trades are similar when it comes to equipment and installation, I was really surprised to find that not many sprinkler guys were on here! I will be patient! I feel like a pioneer. Sprinkie, huh? Is that what y'all call us behind our backs?? Aren't plumbers just sprinkies who like to dig in the dirt and are afraid of heights?? hee hee
          Thanks again welcome committee!!
          Last edited by JessieSprinkler; 12-05-2007, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Welcome Jessie,

Maybe if enough of you "Sprinkies" chime in, who knows, you may get your own "Sprinkie Discussion" category. It will only make sense.

Tracy
            sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

"Sprinkie, huh? Is that what y'all call us behind our backs??"

Yes, and right to your face too as it is not a negative term. It's no different than calling an electrician a sparky or a sheet metal worker a tin knocker.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Originally posted by JessieSprinkler View Post
                Thanks guys! Our trades are similar when it comes to equipment and installation, I was really surprised to find that not many sprinkler guys were on here! I will be patient! I feel like a pioneer. Sprinkie, huh? Is that what y'all call us behind our backs?? Aren't plumbers just sprinkies who like to dig in the dirt and are afraid of heights?? hee hee
                Thanks again welcome committee!!
                we used to be able to do your work, until politics kicked in.

no more jr. systems or standpipes.

welcome to the forum

please chime in, and talk about something other than bidets

maybe you can tell us your experiences with victaulic fittings and the lifespan of them as it relates to the rubber gasket contained within them.

thanks.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I Guess you could call me a sprinkler fitter. I am a steamfitter and that fall into are line of work. The 258 hydraulic cutters is a nice cutter we have a few of them at work and they rock but I dont think there so hot for Sch 10 pipe which is what we use 90% of the time here for sprinks. The 916 is a nice groover for on site fab work alot of the sprinkler co here use them for that purpose. The 918 is a nice shop machine but there a few nice ones out there. The Ridgid 300 what do you want to know its the Sprinkler fitter best friend from therding to grooving to well making up fittings(dont tell ridgid).

Comment

Rick wrote: "we used to be able to do your work, until politics kicked in."

Was it politics to protect the property owner from bad installs or was it politics on the part of the sprinkler contractors twisting their arm to get favorable legislation and wrestle the work away from you (plumbers that is)?

I see nothing wrong with fire sprinkler work being a specialized section of the trade and a separate license. I think it makes for a better job quality wise and probably cheaper (and safer) for the client.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Rick wrote: "we used to be able to do your work, until politics kicked in."

Was it politics to protect the property owner from bad installs or was it politics on the part of the sprinkler contractors twisting their arm to get favorable legislation and wrestle the work away from you (plumbers that is)?

I see nothing wrong with fire sprinkler work being a specialized section of the trade and a separate license. I think it makes for a better job quality wise and probably cheaper (and safer) for the client.

the systems we did were fire hose cabinets, jr. systems of 21 heads or less and dry standpipes.

all the water safe flux is a direct result of the fire sprinkler guys not knowing how to properly solder. the excess flux ate the sprinkler orifice disc.

you can thank them for that.

they couldn't do our work, but we were able to do theirs.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

rick, them there seem like fighting words
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                          rick, them there seem like fighting words
                          no just speaking what i have witnessed in the trade.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

they couldn't do our work, but we were able to do theirs.

rick.[/QUOTE]

The battle to keep work in your respective trades rages on. It hurts in the pocket and in the ego to have people from outside your trade doing what you feel is your work. Politics plays into all of it too, who can pay to legislate on way or the other. Back in 1971 I tried to become an apprentice in either the Plumbing Union or Electrical Workers Union in NYC, but Equal Employment was in the way and as a white guy I didn't stand a chance. I did become a telephone worker and years later I had the pleasure of having Union Electricians cut and deficate on the telephone riser cables we ran. They lost that part of their work and they were angry. There's nothing wrong with fighting to keep your work and sometimes that's what it takes! Nowadays instead of fighting amongst ourselves we need to be concerned with people taking our work who don't even belong in the country. Good luck.

Comment

Actually Plumbers in California were allowed to do Fire Sprinklers up until the "Dorthy May" Law was passed. Then all of the guys who were doing Solar stuff became sprinkler guys. The sad part was the real sprinkler guys had to then compete against solar guys.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X