A Suggestion for The Ask the Experts Section

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Suggestion for The Ask the Experts Section

And effectively you taken it upon yourself to take business away from plumbers all over the country...protecting homeowners because you've decided all plumbers are rip-offs..Ace Ventura, plumbing detective.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      And effectively you taken it upon yourself to take business away from plumbers all over the country...protecting homeowners because you've decided all plumbers are rip-offs..
      i knew i was good, but if i've taken business away from plumbers all over the country, i'm better than i thought

so you don't mind competing against all the poorly trained, so called techs out there, with no formal education or licensing.

i guess it's me that your afraid of and not your local hack shop

you're giving me more credit than i deserve

on guard 24/7 protecting the public from falling victim to hack shops

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Would you concede there needs to be a limit to the type and quantity of advice given to a DIY?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Right along the same lines that all flat raters are acually "flat rapers".
          You know it all, there's no opinion aside from yours that matters, hero to homeowners everywhere who might otherwise pay a plumber.

You got it Ace.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Rick,

Would you concede there needs to be a limit to the type and quantity of advice given to a DIY?

Mark
            absolutely

we tend to police the questions pretty well.

look at all the people that tried to stop the guy (nhmaster) from doing the pex gas line a few weeks ago.

although it turned out to be a practical joke there was not 1 person giving anything more than a reason to not do it.
            i even offered them my personal phone # to talk to them in person. of course they never took me up on this.

i don't think anyone wants to see a non pro get hurt on a job they are attempting to do. 95% of the questions asked are not of the life and death type.

even drain/sewer cleaning i tend to refer to a local qualified co. as a power snake in an untrained hand can be dangerous.

but thinking plumbers around the country are starving because of this forum is just plain crazy.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

The problem here is both of you guys are stubborn as heck and neither of you wants to respect the others right to have an opinion. We all live in different regions and none of us can truly understand all of the conditions the others are working under. I’m sure everyone knows where Duck stands on giving advice to DIYs and I’m sure everyone knows where Rick stands on giving advice to DIYs. I’m not sure it needs to be reiterated on an hourly basis.

Mark

Comment

Before Mark closes this thread I would like to lose what little respect some of you might have for me

I'm a prositute. The worst kind, too. I'm free. So that makes me what? a whore? I can easily be pimped out for plumbing advice for nothing more than a nice smile and a firm handshake.

Walk up to me while I'm eating lunch in my truck and ask me about your water heater thats making a popping noise. Why you have low water pressure. Should your boiler make that sound when it comes on. I tell you what ever you want to know. That's just who I am.

I'll even stop by your house if I have time and talk about the bathroom you just gutted. I kinow you won't call me to finish it. That's not why I'm here. You are a weekend warrior who just moved here from a small town in Nebraska. Your wife is 7 months pregnant and you need to finish this bathroom before the baby comes. You are in WAY over your head and you know it. You bought a 120 year old house on Capital Hill and work for the Dept of Agroculture making less than $45,000 a year.

I'll walk you through it. I'll advise you on some of the pitfalls of working with cast iron and galvanized pipe. We will talk about the benefits of copper piping but I know you have no skills or tools for that so you will go with CPVC. I'll bring up the importance of pulling a permit but you will quickly change the subject. I'll make a drawing of how the drain line should be piped and vented. You will buy an air admittance valve instead.

I'll go back to my truck a half hour later to finish my lunch. I'll give you my card in case to have any questions and say 'good luck'. 2 years will go by before you call back. You've changed jobs. The wife is back to work and the nanny is watching the little one.

Now you need a boiler and remembered a kind plumber that wanted nothing in return for his advice. I give you a fair price for the boiler and you sign the contract even though my bid was $300 higher than the next closest. You show me the completed bathroom and how proud you are of it. My 15 year old niece could have done a better job of it but I still say 'well done' Then we will comiserate about the Redskins new West Coast offence.

As long as you live in the city you are a loyal customer of mine. I'll install a water heater for the neighbor across the street and you will stop by to say hi because you saw my truck. You gave that neighbor my name.

Now this scenario doesn't happen everyday but it does happen frequently. We've built a reputation in this city doing just this. No longer do we need to advertise in the Yellow Pages or Direct marketing. Our ad budget last year was limited to business cards, refrigerator magnets and truck lettering.

You see, giving away free advice to homeowners isn't about taking money away from other plumbers. It's about building a customer base for me.

Wrap yourself up in the almighty Plumbing Flag and say I'm bringing down the whole industry. To me, that arguement is washed out. There are lots of things wrong with the construction industy but giving away free advice is way down the list.

Now, where's my lipstick and handbag? It's time to walk the block
                Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-07-2008, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I feel the same

Comment

Good morning everyone, I see there was a little friendly debating overnight while I was dreaming of plumbing peace around the world.

Many have said it before and many will say it again, those who want to share advice will, and those who don't, won't. No one's arm is being twisted here. Everyone on this forum is very strong minded, and has an opinion of their own. That is fine.

My personal view is that because there is a section that says ask the experts, and it is open to everyone, that everyone should be able to ask. Being some jobs pose a risk to the untrained, I think there should be a FAQ section that assesses that so the experts don't have to.

I can also tell you that I know a FAQ section could benefit me. I want to be part of the forum, but I will be very hesitant to ask anymore questions because it actually makes me feel really badly when I read that some of the experts think I'm pulling their chains, that I am suspicious, that I am someone else, that I have an alterior motive, or the insinuation that I am being a mooch. Those responses do give the experts black marks.

I have responded and gotten off the topic of thread when replying to some posters, but the only debating that should be happening in this thread is whether a FAQ sticky thread would benefit the board.

PlumbCrazy, I would love to respond to your post, but this thread was not created for that debate, no disrepest intended, and even if I did respond, you are very smart, you believe what you believe, and I respect your view.

Comment

Good luck trying to get this back on subject Caryn. That train jumped the tracks just after midnight

Sorry if I perpetutaed the situation

Comment

PlumbersCrack, All I can say to you is BABY GOT BACK! and Brains too!

Comment

Bill, I do the same thing as you. When I'm bored or slow, I go to HD and give out advice and my card(I have some friends who work their that let me do this). Picked up quite a few calls like this. The difference is that I have face to face contact. I can see the potential customer. How is helping some guy in idaho going to help me? I have in the past and currently help the diyer so I'd say I'm on the fence and can see both points of view. However that being said, if I even suspect that someone is asking for advice so they don't have to pay a plumber or their job is beyond their scope, I will not walk them through the job.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My shop still gets calls from people who say they called because I helped they once when they called my radio show. I have not had the show in at least 15-years.

Mark

Comment

I have come to realize from one of my previous posts, I registered twice with two different user names, and when I used the other computer this morning, my computer remembered my old name used which was specialneeds. Sorry for any confusion, but that is me, Caryn

Comment

Sorry no pretty flowing words.

This is the way I look at it.

I joined this forum to be a part of something better than me alone.

I joined to help others so I could ask for help sometime in the future.

What people are asking about is simple handyman common sense sh!t.The members here have tried to help as much as possible to help the "individual" to a point not going past their abilities or greed.

There are many other topics that I would like to reflect on this issue and some of the matters surround it.
                                Recession...People calling themselves a "PRO" when they don't know sh!t(oh,I joined a forum that only pros are allowed to participate)...laziness.
                                I've erased a lot of banter.My ADHD has got me off the charts right now.AHHH!!!

No we don't need to help a housewife repipe her water heater to another location so she can fit another Mercedes in the garage.But I think it's O/K to help her unclog her garbage disposal or change a toilet flapper.

I suppose if you guys were an electricians you would not want the homeowner to know where the electrical panel is because you need that service call to reset a tripped breaker to keep you "In your comfort zone"

ADAM

Comment

Working...
                                X