Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty handling HOMEDEPOT whats your point ?

My general suggestion is : If Homedepot is selling RIDGID tools as an official dealer they should handle also warranty returns.

It is just a big sh... if you have to find a service point to get a battery changed.

If you turn up with a RIDGID tool at homedepot they tell you "Contact the company direct ! Great !!
    Last edited by Mark0815; 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM.

Re: Warranty handling HOMEDEPOT whats your point ?

Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Comment

I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Waaaaaaaaah

I see you've only posted three times, and I also note that this is the third thread that I've read this same whine in. I think you've made your presense known.

As I recall, you have the freedom to take your business anywhere you want, but wherever you go and whatever you buy, there are certain criteria that is required for any options that may be offered. The LLSA is NOT automatic, it is NOT guaranteed as part of the purchase, and it is NOT without some responsibility and effort on the part of the purchaser. It IS an option and the criteria to obtain said option is clearly stated on both the website and in the paperwork that came with your tools. (But you probably threw that away too.)

So, if you don't want to take the necessary steps, that's fine; but then don't whine about it, you're just embarrassing yourself.

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 02-21-2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Of the tens of thousands of items Home Depot sells, I wonder how many of them Home Depot is the authorized repair facility for?

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think that it is our job as consumers to ask the right questions ahead of time or before making a purchase so we are not disappointed and upset later on. "Authorized Dealer" and "Authorized Repair" do not necessarily go hand in hand. Just because a tool or machine says "Lifetime Warrantee" does not mean there are no terms in fine print, it is up to use to read and know what we are buying! I am a chainsaw fanatic, I really like the chainsaw, and the top of the line saw in my opinion is made by Stihl. I was very diasppointed to read how poor their warrantee is for such a well known and respected brand. As a knowledgeable consumer I refuse to pay for such a poor warrantee. I also ask about return policy in every store I shop. Yes, it would be real nice and convenient if Home Depot took all the warantee repairs and exchanges for Ridgid, but is not going to happen.

Comment

The main reason Stihl's warranty is short, is because they are primarily used by pros. They get dropped out of trees, thrown into trucks, and run the hell out of all day long. You can offer a long warranty on a homeowner saw because they are typically pulled out once every 6 months on average and cut one tree. A pro cuts more with his saw in a couple of weeks than the average homeowner type saw sees in it's lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                  The main reason Stihl's warranty is short, is because they are primarily used by pros. They get dropped out of trees, thrown into trucks, and run the hell out of all day long. You can offer a long warranty on a homeowner saw because they are typically pulled out once every 6 months on average and cut one tree. A pro cuts more with his saw in a couple of weeks than the average homeowner type saw sees in it's lifetime.
                  I agree that the use and abuse a tool or machine a professional uses is far greater than that of a homeowner, that said I still believe the warranty offered by Stihl is insufficient. I have a neighbor who bought a small Stihl chainsaw last year. He immediately had trouble starting it and returned it for an adjustment. He got the saw back about a week later but did not have to use it until about a month and half to two months later. The saw seized up and had several damaged internal parts. No warranty, no repair or exchange, he was out of luck with a basically brand new saw. I think it was defective to begin with and the warranty was way too short for my liking. I know that Stihl is well received and used by the Pros but I spend my money on products that are not only popular for their design, build quality and performance but also for how well the manufacturer will stand behind them when they have problems. By the way my neighbor bought his saw through a friend who is a contractor and purchased six chainsaws at the same time. I believe the warranty offered to the contractor was much less because these saws were sold for professional use, and as you pointed out Stihl expected them to take a beating.

Comment

Franki,

Almost sounds like the saws were reconditioned at the time the contractor purchased them. Most of the reconditioned tools that I see have a much lesser/shorter warranty period than original puchase items and can be had at a lesser purchase price. Might be the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
                      Franki,

Almost sounds like the saws were reconditioned at the time the contractor purchased them. Most of the reconditioned tools that I see have a much lesser/shorter warranty period than original puchase items and can be had at a lesser purchase price. Might be the case here.
                      I would agree with you about the warranty expectations on a reconditioned tool, unfortunately in this case they were new. I went to a different store that sells and repairs tools just to check out a few of the larger chainsaws, Stihl and Husqvarna. While I was there I picked up a couple brochures and when I got home I read the warranty on the back of the Stihl. I think it said one month for commercial use and two for home use, not entirely positive but it was not much at all especially for a thousand dollar chainsaw! The one my neighbor got was really small and I urged him to get a model or two bigger (stronger). I'm sure it was defective, because I know the guy and I know he did not use it except for the time it quit. He just got disgusted and never did anything with it, I would have tried my best to get it repaired rather than keep it sitting there useless! His buddy the contractor did not have any trouble with the ones he purchased at the same time but I'm not sure if they were the exact same model? I have old Homelites that still run like new, but I take good care of them. I think chainsaws in general see a lot of hard use and abuse, so I can understand a company not wanting to give a long warranty but like I said the one from Stihl is really weak.

Comment

Ouch! A one or two month service/warranty is nothing when you're paying that much for a tool. Makes me think of all the times that I turned down the "extended" warranties at the check out counter for some of the things I've purchased. Haven't really had any real problems with any of the tools and definitely happy with the Ridgid LSA on the batteries. I guess it's just the luck of the draw when it comes to where a service center is located from our homes and how much time we have to spend to get warranty work. It caused me to check the warranty info on my other tools and where the service centers are located, and you know, none of them are really any better for me than the Ridgid. Oh, well.....

Comment

Talk about warrantys, saturday I went to Sports Authority and bought a $29 pair of walking shoes. The girl at the check out asked if I wanted to buy and extended warranty. I didn't even ask about the details, just seemed too odd.

Comment

I will agree that 2 months is weak - I didn't realize that it was that short. For a homeowner looking for a saw, I would buy one of the bigger Poulans that they sell at the depot. I have a 15 year old Poulan that was a factory reconditioned when I bought it, and it has been great. I can let it sit for a year and have it running in 30 seconds on the year old gas in the tank. The new cheap green poulans do not have as large of an engine but the gold pro ones do. I upgraded mine from a 16" to an 18" bar and that didn't slow it down at all even when buried. For the money, mine has been hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                              I will agree that 2 months is weak - I didn't realize that it was that short. For a homeowner looking for a saw, I would buy one of the bigger Poulans that they sell at the depot. I have a 15 year old Poulan that was a factory reconditioned when I bought it, and it has been great. I can let it sit for a year and have it running in 30 seconds on the year old gas in the tank. The new cheap green poulans do not have as large of an engine but the gold pro ones do. I upgraded mine from a 16" to an 18" bar and that didn't slow it down at all even when buried. For the money, mine has been hard to beat.
                              Thanks for the useful information, always good to know what works for another guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X