Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts/Accessories Nightmare

Hey there folks,
    This is only my second post so I hope I'm going about this properly.
    I recently had an extremely frustrating experience while trying to purchase the replacement blades for my 13"Thickness Planer Model R4330.
    The blades that are sold in each and every one of the Home Depots within 20 miles of my house are for the previous model which has not been sold in stores for at least a couple of years now.
    So I tried to order them directly from Ridgid's web site only to find that it would not allow me to since "you can purchase these at your local HOme Depot" was the only choice it gave me.
    I'll spare the details of the week-long ordeal I went through trying to buy these blades for another forum.......yes I tried EVERYTHING including suggesting and complaining to HD.
    My suggestion is this: Please let us order these types of "user replaceable" parts directly from the Ridgid web site.
    It appeared to me as though I was able to order pretty much any other part for this Planer from you, but not the blades.
    Thanks.

Re: Parts/Accessories Nightmare

You're right that ordering consumable accessories should be easy but are you saying that your local HD refused to order these for you?
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

This complaint goes back to several suggestions made by myself and others that tools, parts and accessories be more readily available. In the case of tools I feel they should be stocked and sold separately. Running specials on things such as 3.0AH lithium batteries would also put a smile on a Ridgid cordless tool owner's face. Ridgid can continue to make life difficult for tool owners by refusing to stock parts at Home Depots or online, and in doing so lose business! There is competition out there and personal experience including word of mouth can either grow your business or hurt it. I can understand having to special order for an older tool, but not something current. Come on Ridgid, help us buy and use your products. Stop with the "Kits" only approach and offer individual pieces so we can either grow or replace our Ridgid tool line. Thank you.

Comment

I think the real problem is that Ridge Tool Co. (trade name RIDGID) a division of Emerson Electric isn't the manufacture of stationary woodworking machinery or hand held power tools that wear the name of RIDGID. In addition The Home Depot is a big box dump store and wants to only stock items where for a given amount of space the profits are high. In addition The Home Depot is run by high up "Yaupo Schights" that have no idea what they are doing to customers and why we are sick and tired of all the *&^%$.

What's needed is for there to be a good, well run business to be setup that only would sell parts for RIDGID (on the label or name plate) woodworking machinery and hand held (non plumbing) power tools which are not made by Ridge Tool Co. or a related company under the parent Emerson Electric.

I still can NOT accept that Ridge Tool Co. would allow anyone to just use their name on products where they (Ridge Tool Co.) has little or no control over things. Come on Emerson Electric. You are a huge worldwide force. Can't you take action? How about blasting TTI and other off shore manufactures that use the name of RIDGID on products they refuse to support?

In addition I am totally discussed with the problems where people need parts and/or accessories for RIDGID shop vacs. The real ShopVac made by ShopVac Corp is easy to get things for. They have very good customer service on both their web site and by telephone. Now granted some parts are costly and they will recommend an assembly or to maybe just replace the machine. This is where the old $$$ factor comes in to play, but they do try to take care of their customers.

Let us think for a few minutes.
        What would happen if plumbers and drain cleaners couldn't get parts or service for their items that have RIDGID or RIDGID-KOLLMANN on them? (Remember these are USA made items.) I do remember reading on this forum about problems drain cleaning contractors had would some parts and their seriously thinking of changing to some other brand of machine.

Bottom Line: If you skrew over customers, do NOT expect them to buy products from you again.
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          You're right that ordering consumable accessories should be easy, but are you saying that your local HD refused to order these for you?
          Around my area there is a serious problem at Home Depot. All the staff including the manager speak in OOOG (strange grunts and groans) and have very little knowledge of how to communicate in English or Hispanic Spanish? There's just no way they can place special orders and get anywhere with doing so.

Maybe in your area things are different. I sure hope so.

Comment

I feel your pain! Now a days, it seems the Home Depot stores are stocking things based upon local demographics. What they show on "their" web site more times than not do not reflect what's in the stores. with computers and scanners why can't we verify stock status? It costs money running from store to store!

I have ended up having to go to two or three Home Depot stores 5-10 miles apart to run down the specific part I require.

Disposables and contractor size items like quantity packs of sanding discs are no longer available. you have to buy the overpriced homeowner size!!

Also they sell "kits" with unnecessary stuff! For example..I needed some dowel centers. They used to sell a kit with 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 centers. Now they sell a kit ....each size with a drill bit and a dozen or so dowel pins. What a joke!

Well, I recognize that those in charge are simply pencil pushing geeks and have no clue what is really useful or required to stock. They simply look at spread sheets and financial reports. They have no way to recognize our needs!

When you fill out a warranty card they want to know your birth date, how much you earn, level of education, what magazines you read, how much you want to spend on tools in 6 months etc. This stuff is none of their business, [I never include that information] and it certainly does not let them know what nails or screws, or sandpaper to stock!

Cactus Man

Comment

Well since I started this thread I might as well weigh in.
              As an employee (and not a happy one) of Home Depot I can fully agree with pretty much all of the sentiments posted so far.........except for the "OOOG....strange grunts and groans" comment, although I understand where that comes from as there indeed are far too many folks working there who know and care little for what they do or how they do it.
              There are a few of us who actually do try to uphold a decent work ethic.
              The problem there is that HD does not care all that much about a real work ethic as it does about it's employees being "compliant".
              They claim to be changing all this for the better and they say that they recognize that HD's image has fallen into the pits. At our store our customer service has indeed made some gains but I would'nt bet on any serious change any time soon.
              Most of the "good" people, that is those with a strong work ethic who take pride in their work see that HD is a dead end job and so end up leaving after a short while.
              By the way, I was able to have my friend special order the blades although only after much debate between himself and whomever he had called regarding part numbers etc.
              They have not arrived yet, so at this point I'm feeling like maybe a little extra sanding of the nick-marks from my old blades would'nt be such a bad thing.
              Thanks for all of your input.
              Last edited by zentagram; 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

zentagram

Believe it or not I have actually been to your Home Depot several times. The people in general in your area aren't the OOOG type near a much as when you get closer to bigger cities (Baltimore, MD or Washington, DC). I'm not all that far from The Capital City, but most of the time the Home Depot locations I do get to really do have a major language barrier problem with the staff members. I can't say what language(s) they speak but I sure know it's nothing I would even call a real language.

On the other hand most of the customers are also going OOOG OOOG so maybe I just need to relocate to some other part of the USA.

Note: The location called "Aspen Hill" has a better selection of HILTI tools than most of the other locations nearby.
                Last edited by Woussko; 03-04-2009, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I see I'm not the only one with parts complaints.

Having finally used my last spare Ridgid shopvac filter and it being a quiet saturday I wandered over to the local HD store. What do i find. Low and behold no filters.A no longer stocked item.And this vac is only three years off of the shelf

I'm an owner of a bussiness. It's called service people.

Over a period of a few of years I've become completely disgusted with HD

This was the last nail in the coffin for HD. No longer will I purchase products there. Which means I'll no longer be purchasing rigid tools
                  Further more I'll be passing along this message of below standard service to all of my friends and the numerous contractors i deal with.

Big box stores area waste of time.

Thumbs down for both Ridgid and Home Depot

Comment

Well for all the comments I've written in support of my favorite tool line (Ridgid of course), I do have to admit that I'm wondering what is going on with service parts.

Recent experience is giving me mixed feelings. I've got two tools at the local service center and one tool that I ordered my own part for.

With the latter, my ever reliable Ridgid 5-inch ROS finally needed a new hook and loop pad. So, I went to the on-line parts area and ordered one. It was easy and the pad arrived in a week. It cost almost as much for shipping as it did the pad, but what the heck, it was fast service. (It could have saved me a few $ though it Home Depot stocked such "wear parts" though.)

But the other two tools are posing a problem for me. First off, the Syracuse facility told me they no longer handle Ridgid... "just not profitable for them" (whatever that is supposed to mean). But a quick search and I find the nearest authorized service center is now just eight miles south of my Painted Post home. (So there's a happy surprise for a change!)

So I took my 4-year old, 1/4-sheet sander, which just started spitting metal chucks into the dust bag, and my 14.4-volt drill with the off-centered chuck down to the fellow: "How soon do you think they'll take," I asked. "I can have them back to you in a week, if I can get the parts in a day or so", was his reply! (Obviously he's very new to the Ridgid scene I think!)

Well, here we are five weeks later and he's still waiting for parts. "Lots and Lots of parts", according to the lady I talked to. (I think they are as frustrated as a lot of you are.

Me? Well, I'm a patient man. I have other drills and other sanders... but that 1/4-inch sheet sander is certainly missed and I sure could use it on my current project. What's worse though is that the service center seems frustrated by it and probably has a bunch of customers that aren't nearly as patient as I am. I wonder if he is wondering what he has gotten himself into?

I don't know that of course, but I do know that I would be more than a bit concerned if I couldn't get parts from a manufacturer that I just took on the service for. I think "reputation" is important to most folks and having to tell your customers that their parts are still on back order would be concerning!

So, I'll call the guy again in a couple of weeks; but really, should it take that long to get a part for a tool that hasn't changed in the five years it's been on the market? Sounds to me like TTI has some serious parts inventory problems.

CWS

Comment

Sounds to me like TTI has some serious parts inventory problems.

You mean STILL has. Why this has not been fixed is beyond me. But from people I talk to day to day it sure has hurt them (RIDGID) with regard to their line of WWing tools. Every time I mention my TS or any other RIDGID WWing tool I get "how much trouble have you had getting parts?" or something similar. Then I have to go on the defensive trying to justify RIDGID (TTIs') lackluster support for their tools.

Service after the sale is not part of their corporate mission statement it would seem. They sure make it tough to promote their tools by word of mouth which as we all know if the best advertising you can get.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I visited one of the 4 Depots within 15 miles of my home the day before yesterday to by a tablesaw and found not one, not two, but 14 PACKAGES OF R4330 REPLACEMENT BLADES!!! I've ordered them twice online because of the same issues that have been discussed earlier on this thread.

It turns out that one of the guys in the tool department had remembered my commentary about the previous unavailability of blades at the store, and mentioned it to a Ridgid rep that came through the store. According the store employee he had the blades about a week later...they shipped him 40 sets, 26 (now 27) of which he sold withing a couple of weeks.

So, the moral of the story is this...talk to the asst. manager in charge of the tool department at your local store and find out if he has a relationship with the local Ridgid rep. Or, even better, call Ridgid and get the name of the rep yourself. As a former big box manager I can testify that most of the time it's not lack of desire to help, but simply not knowing how that's the problem. In this case, the SCU's in the system, so the item is there to be ordered, if only the people in charge of ordering understand how to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by tulsafinecabinetry View Post
                          I visited one of the 4 Depots within 15 miles of my home the day before yesterday to by a tablesaw and found not one, not two, but 14 PACKAGES OF R4330 REPLACEMENT BLADES!!! I've ordered them twice online because of the same issues that have been discussed earlier on this thread.

It turns out that one of the guys in the tool department had remembered my commentary about the previous unavailability of blades at the store, and mentioned it to a Ridgid rep that came through the store. According the store employee he had the blades about a week later...they shipped him 40 sets, 26 (now 27) of which he sold withing a couple of weeks.

So, the moral of the story is this...talk to the asst. manager in charge of the tool department at your local store and find out if he has a relationship with the local Ridgid rep. Or, even better, call Ridgid and get the name of the rep yourself. As a former big box manager I can testify that most of the time it's not lack of desire to help, but simply not knowing how that's the problem. In this case, the SCU's in the system, so the item is there to be ordered, if only the people in charge of ordering understand how to get there.
                          Whenever I am in there and spy the reps truck in the parking lot I hunt them down and bend their ear a bit, especially about spare parts. Just trying to do my part as a squeaky wheel.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                          X