Please BAN Politics & Negative Tone Threads - Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please BAN Politics & Negative Tone Threads - Please

IF I come across a thread I do not like the subject matter of, I just do not read it. I always find it funny that people get all upset over something when they have the power to just ignore that particular something. For example the "shock" jocks on the radio. You hear people complaining about their shows. If they do not care to listen to the show, they have two options, tune into another station, or turn it off. So I apply the same philosophy to threads in forums, if there is one I do not like I just tune it out (do not read that thread) and continue enjoying all the other threads on that forum.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      No what is the point of a forum if one cannot discuss politics its part of out daily lifes whether one lives in the U S or not, yes there should be some rules but I for one I have learned a lot about you and your political system over the last two years of being here and hiding ones head in the sand because some don`t like the cut and thrust is madness it reminds me of China where google is going to be siliened as they don`t like freedom of speech and just why have both of our countries been fighting and dieing in all those wars for the last two hundred years so we had freedom of speech or is that just words now as we take our freedoms for granted.

Tony
      No comment.

Comment

Personally If the persons want politics I think one should just have a political forum, and if Ridgid wants a disclaimer that state that the feelings or opinions do not nessarly reflect Ridgids views (all statements are those of the poster),

and as far as the negative of the products, I do not want to see personal smear campaigns, but if there is a problem with the product it is nice to know and I would think it would be in Ridgids interest to use the info to improve the product,

many times it is obvious that it is operator error or stupidity and most of the time it is soon pointed out to the persons,

but one thing that sets this board apart and above most others is the willingness to allow the the negative to be posted, if you go the Dewalt board you will not find one negative post, there is no way of really getting a feel for the tool before hand.

For example I remember a post about the auto shift drill, (sounds like a winner in many ways) but some one posted how it trapped and smashed there hand and took some real effort to get released from the unit as it would not reverse for some reason. That is some thing I would want to look into as a manufacture, and as a user, and make sure I do not duplicate a similar situation If I owned the tool.

yes there are threads that are just out to blast Ridgid for some reason perceive or real, and the tone and the intent of the poster is just to do harm to the company and the board, (I do agree that those need to be considered for removal, as most of those have to do with revenge and nothing to do with improvement of the process or the tool or the company.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
          A more pressing point for me is how excessive threads(political or otherwise) could be avoided if the thread starter/poster simply did a subject search beforehand. Of course, most times it's a new member/or possible spammer that is most guilty of this.

Would instituting a minimum post requirement help - i.e. new members must post 20 times on existing threads BEFORE being able to start a new thread? Then they'd be forced to do a subject search in order to post an inquiry. And just think how it would cut down on spam threads and those "Can I use my old nicad batts with my new Ridgid 18 volt tool/I bought some new tools and the batts won't charge" etc.etc.
          I completely agree with this idea. I know it's maybe a bit of a Forum improvement thought, and not necessarily directly tied into politics and negative-toned threads, but I just love it. I feel that this could help things become a bit less uncluttered maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            I completely agree with this idea. I know it's maybe a bit of a Forum improvement thought, and not necessarily directly tied into politics and negative-toned threads, but I just love it. I feel that this could help things become a bit less uncluttered maybe.
            Thanks man.

Yeah, not directly related to the thread subject, more of an unclutter(your word) thing altogether. Got me thinking after seeing a ton of unnecessary threads with one post by new members that just signed up that day. Might force searches AND cut down on new thread spam.

Don't know how to cut down on spam posts within existing threads by new members, other than reporting it.

I've been on another forum where members will be all over someone who asks a question/posts a thread on something that was already covered/posted.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

On the main thought, regarding politics and negative-toned threads, I do fairly agree. For the most part, I've read the offending threads, chuckled to myself, and then clicked to something else. I think I've only ever posted a dozen or so posts in these sort of threads from time to time - and it's mainly been to crack a smart-alec joke to try to lighten things up and relieve the tension, or I've given my personal view as a middle-of-the-road Canadian just to give an outside view. But yes, the political debates do tend to get extremely heated. And I agree fully that anything extremely derogatory, defamatory, or even remotely racist or ethnic/religious does need to be acted on - and Josh and Mark have been great at that.

Do I think that we/they go overboard sometimes? Maybe. Are people's politically correct sensibilities overly touchy nowadays? For sure. But, this is Ridgid's forum as others have said, and it's run according to their rules and regs - simple as that. They have the liability to answer for.

BUT....

Connected to this, though, is what I feel may be a tendency to completely remove posts/threads as a pre-emptive strike - but in threads or with comments that have no relation to anything racist/ethnic/political/sexually related/etc. I myself was a party to this earlier today actually. I was posting in a thread "Question for DRC-Wartex" in the Portable Power Tools: Power Tool Discussion Forum area last night. JC's Plumbing posted a question for Wartex, but was not getting a reply. I posted, jokingly on how to get a prompt reply (with lots of smilies to get across the connotation), as a reference to earlier discussions and threads where Wartex and I have not always seen eye-to-eye. Wartex came back with a harsh comment, and I tried to roll it off, and crack yet another sarcastic joke to lighten it up a bit, and as I mentioned to Mark afterwards when he gave us a bit of a warning, "offer an olive branch through humour" or so. Now, clarifications were done, and Mark warned us (even though I personally don't think that what I posted, nor what even Wartex posted, were anywhere NEAR allowed posts in the past). Yet, I notice tonight that this thread has been drastically altered, with about 10 or so posts deleted out of it completely. All gone.

I personally feel a little bit perturbed that this was done. Whether it was my comments or others that caused this decision, and whichever moderator did it, I think it was unreasonable to clamp down and delete those posts and alter that thread - there was no need for it. There was nothing of the no-go items that were in there. There was nothing vulgar or defamatory in there. Was there sarcasm? Absolutely, but we're all big boys and girls. I think that what was there should be left - for other forum members to see what each other are saying/posting. Hey, if I crossed the line and was a bit too sarcastic, fine - then other forum members would call me out on it, and/or a general warning from Mark or Josh, and that's that. But to delete stuff, as a pre-emptive strike, is overboard in my opinion, especially with this thread I feel. There is nothing that was said there that merited that - ESPECIALLY considering things that have been said in the past (distant and recent), but with members not being banned/removed.

For the most part, things are very well run/done here, and Josh/Mark/Wyatt, you guys do an excellent job on all fronts. But I think that as it relates to this one particular thread that I mentioned, the moderating went a bit overboard.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                A more pressing point for me is how excessive threads(political or otherwise) could be avoided if the thread starter/poster simply did a subject search beforehand. Of course, most times it's a new member/or possible spammer that is most guilty of this.

Would instituting a minimum post requirement help - i.e. new members must post 20 times on existing threads BEFORE being able to start a new thread? Then they'd be forced to do a subject search in order to post an inquiry. And just think how it would cut down on spam threads and those "Can I use my old nicad batts with my new Ridgid 18 volt tool/I bought some new tools and the batts won't charge" etc.etc.
                If you've been around a while that might seem great, but I think it would make it uninviting to new members who don't know about the search or are maybe just using the wrong terms. I don't think you want to make it more difficult to ask legitimate power tool questions, and if the occasional spam is the cost of that (which our mods do a great job of removing promptly); I think that is a worthwhile tradeoff.

Comment

On the main thought, regarding politics and negative-toned threads, I do fairly agree. For the most part, I've read the offending threads, chuckled to myself, and then clicked to something else. I think I've only ever posted a dozen or so posts in these sort of threads from time to time - and it's mainly been to crack a smart-alec joke to try to lighten things up and relieve the tension, or I've given my personal view as a middle-of-the-road Canadian just to give an outside view. But yes, the political debates do tend to get extremely heated. And I agree fully that anything extremely derogatory, defamatory, or even remotely racist or ethnic/religious does need to be acted on - and Josh and Mark have been great at that.

Do I think that we/they go overboard sometimes? Maybe. Are people's politically correct sensibilities overly touchy nowadays? For sure. But, this is Ridgid's forum as others have said, and it's run according to their rules and regs - simple as that. They have the liability to answer for.

BUT....

Connected to this, though, is what I feel may be a tendency to completely remove posts/threads as a pre-emptive strike - but in threads or with comments that have no relation to anything racist/ethnic/political/sexually related/etc. I myself was a party to this earlier today actually. I was posting in a thread "Question for DRC-Wartex" in the Portable Power Tools: Power Tool Discussion Forum area last night. JC's Plumbing posted a question for Wartex, but was not getting a reply. I posted, jokingly on how to get a prompt reply (with lots of smilies to get across the connotation), as a reference to earlier discussions and threads where Wartex and I have not always seen eye-to-eye. Wartex came back with a harsh comment, and I tried to roll it off, and crack yet another sarcastic joke to lighten it up a bit, and as I mentioned to Mark afterwards when he gave us a bit of a warning, "offer an olive branch through humour" or so. Now, clarifications were done, and Mark warned us (even though I personally don't think that what I posted, nor what even Wartex posted, were anywhere NEAR allowed posts in the past). Yet, I notice tonight that this thread has been drastically altered, with about 10 or so posts deleted out of it completely. All gone.

I personally feel a little bit perturbed that this was done. Whether it was my comments or others that caused this decision, and whichever moderator did it, I think it was unreasonable to clamp down and delete those posts and alter that thread - there was no need for it. There was nothing of the no-go items that were in there. There was nothing vulgar or defamatory in there. Was there sarcasm? Absolutely, but we're all big boys and girls. I think that what was there should be left - for other forum members to see what each other are saying/posting. Hey, if I crossed the line and was a bit too sarcastic, fine - then other forum members would call me out on it, and/or a general warning from Mark or Josh, and that's that. But to delete stuff, as a pre-emptive strike, is overboard in my opinion, especially with this thread I feel. There is nothing that was said there that merited that - ESPECIALLY considering things that have been said in the past (distant and recent), but with members not being banned/removed.

For the most part, things are very well run/done here, and Josh/Mark/Wyatt, you guys do an excellent job on all fronts. But I think that as it relates to this one particular thread that I mentioned, the moderating went a bit overboard.
                  I think I know the comments you are referring to , and if it was up to me no harm, no foul just sarcasm and goofing around. I can understand however the stress they are under to monitor all these posts and if they over react it's understandable. I'm at a point where I would not be offended if something I wrote was deleted. Look at it this way, you had your say, received no flack and the moderators did what they felt was right. I'm sure as the mood here lightens up so will the moderators. Same thing happened a while back . Whether or not they decide to allow future political discussions, for my own sake I'll decline. I've been a part of too much drama and unpleasant behavior. Nothing good comes of it anyway, so why bother? I'll take in the News, talk to friends and neighbors, and have my say at the polls. Sorry if I got sidetracked. enjoy many of your posts, please don't let the deletion get you down. Take care. Frank

Comment

I agree Canuck.

Part of the fun and entertainment in coming to this forum is seeing/reading the differing of opinions that each of us have. Some much more outspoken than others but that is really what makes it great. You have some of the members here that I believe are known for their raves and excitement. Please don't take offense to any of what I am about to say but there are some self proclaimed howlers on here (Woussko) and there always the Ridgid naysayers. But just like in any good movie there always has to be a villain of sorts. There are several of those but I enjoy seeing Canucksartech and DRC-Wartex get into from time to time. I really don't think that either of these guys would have a personal issue with the other one outside of this forum, it just makes things more interesting. Canuck enjoys poking at DRC and I can't imagine that DRC is really as obstinate as he makes out. One of the best threads I have read on here recently is the one started by Gene Bickford - Please read RE:me. The amount of support that was given to him in three hours is amazing, ON A TOOL FORUM!

My point is, we are not coming to blows here and unless serious name calling begins, let the party flow (so to speak). If someone is offended, then they can click off of it. It is really that simple. But eliminating multiple postings is ridiculous. I know that it was done to create harmony but I bet most of us like to see a little chaos. Anyone who has ever watched a NASCAR race knows exactly what I am talking about. A race with out wrecks is a bunch of guys driving left....

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
                      I agree Canuck.

Part of the fun and entertainment in coming to this forum is seeing/reading the differing of opinions that each of us have. Some much more outspoken than others but that is really what makes it great. You have some of the members here that I believe are known for their raves and excitement. Please don't take offense to any of what I am about to say but there are some self proclaimed howlers on here (Woussko) and there always the Ridgid naysayers. But just like in any good movie there always has to be a villain of sorts. There are several of those but I enjoy seeing Canucksartech and DRC-Wartex get into from time to time. I really don't think that either of these guys would have a personal issue with the other one outside of this forum, it just makes things more interesting. Canuck enjoys poking at DRC and I can't imagine that DRC is really as obstinate as he makes out. One of the best threads I have read on here recently is the one started by Gene Bickford - Please read RE:me. The amount of support that was given to him in three hours is amazing, ON A TOOL FORUM!

My point is, we are not coming to blows here and unless serious name calling begins, let the party flow (so to speak). If someone is offended, then they can click off of it. It is really that simple. But eliminating multiple postings is ridiculous. I know that it was done to create harmony but I bet most of us like to see a little chaos. Anyone who has ever watched a NASCAR race knows exactly what I am talking about. A race with out wrecks is a bunch of guys driving left....

Kevin
                      That last line was something to remember. This is a special place, lots of openness and support. The rest of the Internet could learn from that "Please read RE:me"thread. I agree with your take on all this if the moderators were up to keeping a close watch. Personally I have enough chaos and drama at home, I need to chill out when I'm here, getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I think I know the comments you are referring to , and if it was up to me no harm, no foul just sarcasm and goofing around... ...enjoy many of your posts, please don't let the deletion get you down. Take care. Frank
                        Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
                        I agree Canuck.

Part of the fun and entertainment in coming to this forum is seeing/reading the differing of opinions that each of us have. Some much more outspoken than others but that is really what makes it great...

Kevin
                        Thanks to both, I get what you are both saying and agree with it. I've also had the chance to discuss it further with Mark in a few PM's back and forth, and I understand it's not necessarily what I or others said, but more about making others feel comfortable.

I just don't want to see pre-emptive post/thread deletions or moderating. Hey, if someone royally screws up, and things have to be removed and a member banned, then so be it - you clean up the mess at that point. But I don't like the editing/censoring of people's opinions/thoughts - as a "just in case" measure. If a member has rubbed others the wrong way, multiple times in the past, and has been given numerous chances, with suspensions and then back, etc., and then those other members vent their opinions/thoughts, so be it. As I said to Mark, if you make your bed, it's up to you to lie in it.

Hell, not long after Tinmack first joined, he completely rubbed me the wrong way (and I, innocent as I am, no doubt PO'd him). We more than had our head-to-heads a couple of times, with everyone watching with some amusement - neither of us were simply tuning in to each other's gist/meanings or humour/sarcasm, and we were offending each other.

But in the last year and a bit, there's been no issues. It's because we're adults, and move forward from criticism and get on with things. We're all mature enough here I think to learn to not take things personally, and to understand that there's pros and cons to typing thoughts on a keyboard. We all agree more often than not, and we all understand that we're here because of a common interest - of doing things with our hands, of being proud of our tangible work, of using a skill or trade that you are good at to accomplish an improvement for someone (yourself, or a customer).

I just have no patience for people who always have a chip on their shoulder, who don't seem to be in it to bring anything positive or beneficial to the conversation, who usually end up insulting and name calling and belittling others just because they can hide behind a keyboard, and who just bash away (at others, at products, etc.). So I dislike having posts deleted of others calling someone out on it, just to make things supposedly fair and comfortable.

As I've said before, you can only extend the olive branch so many times. And eventually, you tend to sometimes need to turn it into a whip.

Okay, vent over. Mark and I have had a good discussion over it, and I'm not upset. Just wanted to explain, that's all.

Comment

Hell, not long after Tinmack first joined, he completely rubbed me the wrong way (and I, innocent as I am, no doubt PO'd him). We more than had our head-to-heads a couple of times, with everyone watching with some amusement - neither of us were simply tuning in to each other's gist/meanings or humour/sarcasm, and we were offending each other.

But in the last year and a bit, there's been no issues. It's because we're adults, and move forward from criticism and get on with things.
                          Dude, we're outnumbered on here so we gotta get along.

If they only knew that you going to Roundup last year was just a small part in the Canuck invasion plan. Muwahh-ha-ha...(gleefully rubbing hands together while staring at large wall of television monitors)
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Yea I'm really not a fan of politics myself...
                            I'm a little tired of being bombarded with the right and left politics that our attention diverted nation has been reduced to...
                            I'm more of the opinion that we are alternating having out nation run by a whacked out lefty or a whacked out righty as the truth and the path we should take is somewhere down the lukewarm middle of the road just doing the right thing.
                            Instead we are heading to hell in a handbasket on the road to globalism and the ruling corporate parties...

Every radio station or, tv station I can tune my radio or, tv to wants to brainwash me in one direction or the other either wanting to turn me into a glassy eyed frothing at the mouth goose stepping right winger or, a glassy eyed frothing at the mouth save the world left winger...

as it gets harder and harder to make a decent living...

Frankly I'm tired of buying smart bombs under one administration and free lunch under the next watching them spend money for my benefit while I watch my 401-k turn into a 101-k and we get to bail out the Wizards of Wall Street who decimated my retirement account buying things called Derivitives and Toxic Assets...

The only political discussion I'm interested in hearing is lets get some rope, some tar and feathers and lets go get the treasonous B@$#T@^*$

I just come here for a little shop talk and to learn a bit about my chosen profession maybe help some one out with what I know...

I don't really feel like walking into a brainwashing here too!
                            Just my 2-cents...
                            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Since I'm being profusely mentioned here, let me post my side of the story.

First of all I'd like to say that I've been a mod on very big boards and I'm an admin on a forum as well right now, so I see things from many perspectives. I have no desire whatsoever to start flame wars. Because this is a Ridgid-related forum, it's inherently biased, just like any other themed forum. If I go to XBOX forums and post about how PS3 has 4 times faster CPU, I will get flamed even though it's absolute truth, this is normal.

So whenever I post that "X" brand's tool "N" is better because of "Z", where Z is derived via rigorous scientific testing, most people respond with their findings. But sometimes a particular group would step in, ignore the "Z" part and respond with a ton of unsubstantiated flame, personal insults and anecdotal evidence. This group is: tinmack, roadrashray, BadgerDave, canucksartech and sometimes plumberscrack. That's it. Nobody else.

One of my hobbies (and part of my job) is electronics. I was an A student in physics, calculus and computer science in school/uni and I read scientific and engineering papers daily. Like any male, I like to "measure" stuff, and that includes measuring cordless power tool specs and performance. I have a set of very expensive gear - thermal imager, programmable chargers, various Fluke multimeters, clamp meters, high speed camera etc etc - I see details that no company and no magazine will ever reveal to you. I'm friends with workers at various brand service centers as well as several large suppliers, I read a handful of tool blogs daily as well. Yes, some of my tests are synthetic, but that's their purpose - they provide raw data to describe worst case, best case and typical use scenario and help make a buying decision based on how you deviate from these metrics. For example, a casual user will see no difference between a low cycle life battery and high-end nanophosphate battery, because nanophosphate battery will be at the end of it's shelf life before cycle life is exhausted by a casual user. But an everyday user in industrial, conveyor-belt type assembly will quickly see the higher cost of ownership of a low cycle life battery.

That being said, it's extremely irritating to me when people not only blindly deny my findings because of "<insert personal experience>" but go much further by responding with inflammatory or agitative comments, and all because they have no valid counterargument. This is called forum "trolling". I'm very receptive to others' opinions even if in my opinion they are wrong, but only if there is a drop of substance to them. I don't believe in magic tools/batteries that outperform manufacturer's specs, and perform chemically and electrically impossible feats, sorry.

Over my tenure here, this exact particular group will cause me grief by harassing me under guise of "innocent" (but very lame) jokes, by threadjacking, by posting offtopic and agitative comments in my threads, only because they disagree with me on certain things, and you can see the ill intent as this very group will post "thanks" for each other under such posts as in "good job harassing Watex". I can take a joke and sarcasm, but I'm not the kind of guy who will tolerate harassment.

Teasing a tiger is not a way to make friends with him. I'm open to settle our differences, but none of the mentioned members would come forward and PM me and say "listen man, let's agree that we disagree, I don't intend any harm" or "I tested this tool in such and such way and my findings contradict yours in such and such way", or better yet, cease this foolish behavior completely. Again, I'm not some stuck up grumpy geezer, I appreciate a well placed joke and a substantiated opinion, but I can't stand forum trolls.

For example member "rotfl" publicly poked at me and I will reciprocated but behind the scenes we communicated over PM and both knew there was no harm intended, it was "for the show", I have absolutely no hard feelings. This group however never ceases to provide me with passive-aggressive, childish harassment.

I went the shortest route and reporter their posts to a MOD, which as any MOD should do, deleted agitative posts. Now they are whining about it. I've been BANNED for trying to defend myself, and you guys complain about your absolutely offtopic posts deleted.

I'm sure we can resolve our differences without you resorting to forum persecution, we can agree to disagree as adults. If you see that I'm not receptive to your jokes however innocent they might be, stop them and problem will go away. The fact that you continue makes all the difference.

I'm not a bad person and I'm sure deep inside you are great guys.

------------------------

PS: And one more thing: moderating a thread includes reading every post in that thread and determining hostile parties, not randomly banning people and deleting posts. I don't expect all MODs to read every post of every topic, but if a post in a particular topic gets reported, read the topic in it's entirety - most topics here are 1-2 pages long, it take 2 minutes to read them.

The "part time" moderators are worse than no moderators at all. Glancing over the topic and banning the most angry poster is NOT moderation. It's "forum nazi" behavior and is very damaging to online communities. If you don't have time to do MODs job, relegate your responsibility to someone who does. There is plenty of members who hang out here daily and have well balanced judgment.

/Getting off my soapbox .

Comment

Re: Please BAN Politics &amp; Negative Tone Threads - Please

DRC, I have seen what I perceive to be unnecessary conversation between yourself and some others for whatever reason also. Both parties.

Some people I have been in contact with are unable to accept another persons differing opinion and/or conclusion when given the same information.

I appreciate your informative posts that do not contain judgement towards others conclusions. The ones I've read, I'm sure I missed some.

I do not dispute your science, as I have not performed the tests to agree or disagree.

But I don't always necessarily agree with your conclusions on what's "best" for a persons needs.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X