X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please BAN Politics & Negative Tone Threads - Please

Okay, well this thread did have some great responses, Thanks everyone!
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
      Since I'm being profusely mentioned here, let me post my side of the story.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Z.......(snort) Whuh?? Whuzzat? Why you waking me up? Hunh? He's got a what? It's how long??? Nahh.....too long to read. Just sum it up for me......

Enh. Whatever. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZ
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

This group is: tinmack, roadrashray, BadgerDave, canucksartech and sometimes plumberscrack.
        It's a group anyone would be proud to be a part of.

Although we'll have to work on that "sometimes" part.

You can never have too much Crack.
        Last edited by tinmack; 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Since I'm being profusely mentioned here, let me post my side of the story.

First of all I'd like to say that I've been a mod on very big boards and I'm an admin on a forum as well right now, so I see things from many perspectives. I have no desire whatsoever to start flame wars. Because this is a Ridgid-related forum, it's inherently biased, just like any other themed forum. If I go to XBOX forums and post about how PS3 has 4 times faster CPU, I will get flamed even though it's absolute truth, this is normal.

So whenever I post that "X" brand's tool "N" is better because of "Z", where Z is derived via rigorous scientific testing, most people respond with their findings. But sometimes a particular group would step in, ignore the "Z" part and respond with a ton of unsubstantiated flame, personal insults and anecdotal evidence. This group is: tinmack, roadrashray, BadgerDave, canucksartech and sometimes plumberscrack. That's it. Nobody else.

One of my hobbies (and part of my job) is electronics. I was an A student in physics, calculus and computer science in school/uni and I read scientific and engineering papers daily. Like any male, I like to "measure" stuff, and that includes measuring cordless power tool specs and performance. I have a set of very expensive gear - thermal imager, programmable chargers, various Fluke multimeters, clamp meters, high speed camera etc etc - I see details that no company and no magazine will ever reveal to you. I'm friends with workers at various brand service centers as well as several large suppliers, I read a handful of tool blogs daily as well. Yes, some of my tests are synthetic, but that's their purpose - they provide raw data to describe worst case, best case and typical use scenario and help make a buying decision based on how you deviate from these metrics. For example, a casual user will see no difference between a low cycle life battery and high-end nanophosphate battery, because nanophosphate battery will be at the end of it's shelf life before cycle life is exhausted by a casual user. But an everyday user in industrial, conveyor-belt type assembly will quickly see the higher cost of ownership of a low cycle life battery.

That being said, it's extremely irritating to me when people not only blindly deny my findings because of "<insert personal experience>" but go much further by responding with inflammatory or agitative comments, and all because they have no valid counterargument. This is called forum "trolling". I'm very receptive to others' opinions even if in my opinion they are wrong, but only if there is a drop of substance to them. I don't believe in magic tools/batteries that outperform manufacturer's specs, and perform chemically and electrically impossible feats, sorry.

Over my tenure here, this exact particular group will cause me grief by harassing me under guise of "innocent" (but very lame) jokes, by threadjacking, by posting offtopic and agitative comments in my threads, only because they disagree with me on certain things, and you can see the ill intent as this very group will post "thanks" for each other under such posts as in "good job harassing Watex". I can take a joke and sarcasm, but I'm not the kind of guy who will tolerate harassment.

Teasing a tiger is not a way to make friends with him. I'm open to settle our differences, but none of the mentioned members would come forward and PM me and say "listen man, let's agree that we disagree, I don't intend any harm" or "I tested this tool in such and such way and my findings contradict yours in such and such way", or better yet, cease this foolish behavior completely. Again, I'm not some stuck up grumpy geezer, I appreciate a well placed joke and a substantiated opinion, but I can't stand forum trolls.

For example member "rotfl" publicly poked at me and I will reciprocated but behind the scenes we communicated over PM and both knew there was no harm intended, it was "for the show", I have absolutely no hard feelings. This group however never ceases to provide me with passive-aggressive, childish harassment.

I went the shortest route and reporter their posts to a MOD, which as any MOD should do, deleted agitative posts. Now they are whining about it. I've been BANNED for trying to defend myself, and you guys complain about your absolutely offtopic posts deleted.

I'm sure we can resolve our differences without you resorting to forum persecution, we can agree to disagree as adults. If you see that I'm not receptive to your jokes however innocent they might be, stop them and problem will go away. The fact that you continue makes all the difference.

I'm not a bad person and I'm sure deep inside you are great guys.

------------------------

PS: And one more thing: moderating a thread includes reading every post in that thread and determining hostile parties, not randomly banning people and deleting posts. I don't expect all MODs to read every post of every topic, but if a post in a particular topic gets reported, read the topic in it's entirety - most topics here are 1-2 pages long, it take 2 minutes to read them.

The "part time" moderators are worse than no moderators at all. Glancing over the topic and banning the most angry poster is NOT moderation. It's "forum nazi" behavior and is very damaging to online communities. If you don't have time to do MODs job, relegate your responsibility to someone who does. There is plenty of members who hang out here daily and have well balanced judgment.

/Getting off my soapbox .
          That was quite a post. You covered a lot of ground, explained yourself and offered a hand to shake. That's really all you can do. Some of my memories regarding your posts were that you favored certain brands and seemed to be very technically learned. Sometimes very learned people can come off a bit cold or difficult. Just an observation. Too bad you didn't write this post a long time ago. Still, good that you were so open. Don't expect too much in return, some folks just can't let things go. Personally, I think such knowledge is an asset to the forum. We just have to agree to disagree at times without being rude. The moderators do the best they can, but I don't think they do have the time to read everything, so subtilties are often missed. I'm sure you're not a bad guy, let's see how the good guys respond.

Comment

Re: Please BAN Politics &amp; Negative Tone Threads - Please

well, tinmack has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Who decides what is "Political & Negative"?

J.C.
              MR. MURPHY , Dummy
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                No comment.
                O pleassssssssssssssssssssse Frank your no comment policy is driving my mad I just know you want to let it all hang out.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                  O pleassssssssssssssssssssse Frank your no comment policy is driving my mad I just know you want to let it all hang out.

Tony
                  I couldn't say.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    MR. MURPHY , Dummy

SCORE BOARD:

MR. MURPHY = 1

PlumbingSkool = 0

looks like the Politics are here to stay

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

- I watched the State of the Union Last night and Obama is still full of crap

Does that count as talking politics?

Comment

Actually - I thought the State of the Union was awesome,

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post

Me too, it was dreamy watching the self obsessed pine over the status quo. I gotta quote the New York Times...

"Mr. Obama tried to recapture the magic of his yes-we-can campaign after a season of no-we-can’t governing"

Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post

So you're the guy.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X