Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please BAN Politics & Negative Tone Threads - Please

Hi,

I would like to request that NO MORE Politics & Negative Tone ThreadS ARE ALLOWED.

Personally I think it has gotten way out of hand,

The hate here is building up and its making me sick,

In 2008 when I joined it was about TOOLS and helping each other,

Please do not allow and threads with Politics or Negative Tones.

Just my Thoughts

Thanks for listening

I think all posts should have to relate to tools or jobs.....

Re: Please BAN Politics & Negative Tone Threads - Please

i agree for the most part

i too refrain from getting into the political threads.

unless you consider drum versus sectional political

news worthy events, such as hati are still important, but limit the politics of the discussion.

your right that this is a tool/ trades/ homeowners forum, sponsored by a tool company.

plenty of political forums out there

thanks joe

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I agree 100% with anything that is racial in any way. Some things that are posted by members are probably not intended to be in any way but if it offends someone then the harm outweighs any value of the discussion regardless of the intent.

As far as current events that involve politics this has always been a bit of a grey line thing. During the elections it was a Democrat vs. Republican thing that usually got out of hand. Discussion of current events and current govt activity doesn't always fall under the negative political discussion group. I have tried to keep an eye on threads that discuss health care reform and have tried to make sure everything stays civil. just because its civil doesn't mean that it doesn't bother folks though so we may need to be a bit more strict.

So lets let this be a calm discussion. This forum is the members forum. We need to make sure it stays focused but at the same time allows folks to discuss some current events and how they impact their businesses and the economy as a whole. if discussion outside of tools are a distraction then we need to evaluate the content of those discussion and possible clamp down a little more. I have always been for allowing open discussion here as long as everyone behaves correctly and respects each other.

If we feel that these discussion negatively impact the spirit of this place then we should tighten down a bit on what current events are discussed.

Thanks for starting this thread Joe. Everyone please chime in on this one and suggest where we should head with current events that have political ties. Please discuss this respectfully and rationally.

To summarize again... anything racist or discriminatory in any way needs to be brought to the attention of the moderators and will be removed. As far as current events discussion I would like to have a level headed discussion and darken the lines that need to be repainted.

Josh
      Last edited by Josh; 01-18-2010, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I have been paying close attention to the Political threads and for the most part they have been respectful. When they get out of hand they will be closed.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

THanks Rick, Josh & Mark!

@Mark,

You do handle this place fast

Nice Job!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            I would like to have a level headed discussion and darken the lines that need to be repainted.
            Dude......have you been sitting in the dark listening to the White Album on the hi-fi again....?

But seriously........the negative/political-type threads do nothing for the forum except promote incorrect information and hard feelings. I'm not terribly politically correct myself but even I thought that "Martin Luther Murphy" thread was over the line.

The other, personally disturbing thing I've noticed about the recent threads is the participation of members who never would have bothered posting in that type of thread before. I don't know if it's an indication of party change or a change in their own personal situation(i.e. they're hurting and they're mad).

A more pressing point for me is how excessive threads(political or otherwise) could be avoided if the thread starter/poster simply did a subject search beforehand. Of course, most times it's a new member/or possible spammer that is most guilty of this.

Would instituting a minimum post requirement help - i.e. new members must post 20 times on existing threads BEFORE being able to start a new thread? Then they'd be forced to do a subject search in order to post an inquiry. And just think how it would cut down on spam threads and those "Can I use my old nicad batts with my new Ridgid 18 volt tool/I bought some new tools and the batts won't charge" etc.etc.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

^
              Attached Files

Comment

Who decides what is "Political & Negative"?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                  I'm not terribly politically correct myself but even I thought that "Martin Luther Murphy" thread was over the line.

I agree 100% and that thread was so disrespectful. It just shows the lack of class and respect that some people have for others including RIDGID as a brand, I mean starting a thread like that was only disrespecting RIDGID the brand as well as the forum. (Leaving Defamatory comments knowing its RIDGID'S brand, is also showing no respect for RIDGID as a company)

That kind of behavior should not be allowed here period.

Remember RIDGID EXTENDS itself so we can have this forum,

Let's show RIDGID A BIT of RESPECT back........and keep the threads about tools, jobs, and family friendly topics......

Its a TOOL forum - Lets talk about tools ......How about that?
                  Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I totally concur. I try very hard to stay away from political threads and just the other day I commented on a thread that really set off a storm. I apologized to the member who my comment was directed at and i now apologize to anyone else who may have been offended. It would be so much better if any thread that starts to wander from tools, help, and trades is cut off. My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Who decides what is "Political & Negative"?

J.C.
                      The moderators are the ones that have that power.

I do agree though... I'm a member on other forums that do a really good job editing or deleting any threads that even broach politics. I even left here for a period of time just because of the topics on some of the threads.

Is this forum closely monitored by the company/administrators or is it kinda in the background of it all?

There are plenty of other outlets (forums) for politics. I too, try to stay out of the threads like Pipestone Kid said, but sometimes I feel like I get sucked in... even if all I do is read it.

Thanks PlumbingSkool for starting this thread.

Comment

I have always tried to let the forum works its way through discussions as long as everyone stayed respectful and none of the rules of the board were being broken.

Discussions on Religion and Politics have always been something that are probably best not discussed and for the most part have been avoided over the last 10 years. Every once in a while a thread comes up during an election and some members start fighting. This is a no brainer... personal attacks and especially anthing racist or crude just doesnt fly.

The difficulty comes in when current events are discussed and they cross over into legislation that is being passed or how the country is being run. At what point do they become political or even negative in their political tone?

Mark and I both try to watch the discussions and make sure they stay on track and respectful.

I want this place to be fair to everyone and a comfortable place to discuss tools and the trades you work in. We could go crazy policing any time there is even the slightest comment that ties back to politics.

From now on I will try to keep a closer eye on discussions where anything involving the government, politicians, our president, or current legislation are discussed.

The Martin Luther King comments were taken care of when pointed out to me. Anything that can be racially offensive will be taken care of without question.

As a general rule we can work at not starting any threads that could lead to negative political discussion. We could also remind each other to be careful when current events are being discussed.

Josh

Comment

Don't like the political threads, don't read them imo. For the rasicst stuff, I think to let it go a couple days. That way, everyone can see the true colors of an individual. Just my opinion.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Don't like the political threads, don't read them imo. For the rasicst stuff, I think to let it go a couple days. That way, everyone can see the true colors of an individual. Just my opinion.
                            I don't like the racist stuff either, but I thought there was a point at which he explained the "murhpy" comment and it was not a insult. Still I can understand the confusion. The political stuff has never ended very well, so I will work harder to avoid such threads. There's plenty of current events local and worldwide along with personal stories to share, and we are all stressed enough without adding to it. Hope this will calm things down, and allow us to enjoy the site more. Frank

Comment

No what is the point of a forum if one cannot discuss politics its part of out daily lifes whether one lives in the U S or not, yes there should be some rules but I for one I have learned a lot about you and your political system over the last two years of being here and hiding ones head in the sand because some don`t like the cut and thrust is madness it reminds me of China where google is going to be siliened as they don`t like freedom of speech and just why have both of our countries been fighting and dieing in all those wars for the last two hundred years so we had freedom of speech or is that just words now as we take our freedoms for granted.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X