Spelling counts>>>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spelling counts>>>

In your most recent email, regarding the introduction of JOB MAX, you may want to change "scrapping" to "scraping".....and then scrape that egg off your face...

Re: Spelling counts>>>

You sound like You're from Mass.

I have little use for a Man that can only spell a word one way ! Mark Twain
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Spelling counts?? not on this forum we are all illiterate.

Tony

Comment

Ah come on!

You want people to spell right now? You've got to be kidding me

Here's one I found a while back, since we are playing teacher

Constrctors = I think should be Contractors, Unless I am wrong

http://www.google.com/search?q=ridgi...GGL_en___US337

RIDGID Plumbing Forum, Woodworking Forum, Power Tool Forum

Professional Forum and Chat for Plumbers, HVAC, Constrctors, Framers, Roofers, Electricians, Drain Cleaners, on Plumbing, Woodworking, Locating Tools, ...
        www.ridgidforum.com/ - 4 hours ago - Cached - Similar -

Oh and before someone "beats me up" , I know I don't spell perfect all the time, But come on, Most the jobs at RIDGID require a B.A. degree or higher.

Is spelling not required in college?

Spell check is included in word and also in Firefox browser,

I still love RIDGID Though

and some major newspaper had a type the other day as well. I saw it on John Stuart ;-)

Comment

Your axkin a lot from you're fellow forum member if you axpect them to spel right and use proper gramar.
          ================================================== ====
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I guess to make "light" of this embarrassing moment for RIDGID.

You'll could check out:

http://shamefultypos.com/

There's a whole website about typo's

Maybe we all need to go back to the basics and learn grammar and then this country can go forward.

Comment

Hey I'm from Mass and thank God for spell check. The whole M******* thing so true that's why I moved My edjamakation helpadid makes me a plumber. Spelling wuz not required on Journeymen's test.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by eckswhyzee View Post
                In your most recent email, regarding the introduction of JOB MAX, you may want to change "scrapping" to "scraping".....and then scrape that egg off your face...

First of all both words are correctly spelled,

Scrapping is the process of making something into scrap, My son was a scrapper for a number of years, in the scrap iron business,

scraping is the process of removing some thing by running a tool over it a number of times,
                such as
                Scraping a label off the part,

so the problem was the editing or proof reading not the spelling process, (most likely some one clicked on the wrong word or missed clicked in a spell check).

Spelling and proof reading is becoming a lost art, is it importation YES, can I do it well NO, but people who see a written message, make judgments of who one is by how they write and spell, and will make judgments on who that person is by how they communicate,
                Fair or unfair it many times the way it is done, has little to do if there intelligent or smart, but may indicate where there natural gifts are.

Personal I would prefer a craftsman who is an artist and genius in his chosen area, than a perfect linguist, or word master.

put a different way I would rather see spelling mistakes on the invoice or a note left than in the work they preformed for me.

(now I did use a spell check, I hope all is spelled correctly it may or it may not be, and most likely the grammar is not perfect, I have tried.)

there is a small add on program that I believe helps me out some, and it is called IeSpell.
                http://www.iespell.com/
                it is designed to spell check the forum boxes and other boxes that one fills out,

no it will not help if you do not know if the word you click on is the correct word in the first place.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD, I only found five grammatical mistakes. Was that intentional , or wasn't I supposed to proof read? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    BHD, I only found five grammatical mistakes. Was that intentional , or wasn't I supposed to proof read? :-)
                    +1

Gee, I hope this response doesn't get deleted like the last time I used a +1.
                    ================================================== ====
                    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      Like I did say I did try but I am not at all gifted in the grammar or spelling area, and language arts.

No the mistakes were not intentional, but I can not see the difference, not saying that that gives one a pass as it sure did not in school.
                      But I do try to make what I type readable and understandable.

If I have some thing important I will let my wife correct it, she is gifted in the language area, and most of the time the paper is so marked up it is embarrassing to me, before she retypes it.

I do have dyslexia and when I type many times the word are missed placed in a sentence as well as the letters, as well as just missing endings and some times entire words.

I do realize the importance of it being done properly, it is not that I do not try, but it is not where my gifts lie,

I remember teachers hounding me in school and accusing many with disabilities with being lazy and retarded and so on, yet a few years later the same teachers were the ones they wanted you to work on there homes and cars and to repair there broken items, should I have called them lazy and retarded because they did not know how to build some thing or repair some simple item?

We are each presented with gifts and talents, and most if possible are most likely working and earning a living using the gifts and talents we have, I really doubt if some one who has reading & writing difficulties enjoys the struggle it gives them,

I guess when it comes to writing and reading I am a genuine HACK, but it is one of the areas that we all have to try to work in talented or not, in the current world it is hard not to live with out talking writing and reading.

First of all I would not take a job as editor, writer, or proof reader, but if I was in the business world I would sure try to get some one who was gifted in those areas to redo my information that was going out publicly representing the company.

All I can say Is I do try to make a readable post,

Even the most gifted can make a mistake.

I am not giving the person a pass on the apparently the wrong word, in the email, (I apparently did not get the email so I do not know what it said), most likely it should have been better proof read.

But I do not know that jumping on ever language error is the correct thing to do either, (Pipestone Kid, I did not feel you were jumping on me).

That is my Opinion.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I can see ALL the points here,

BUT - the problem is that a "technical writer" or a "marketer"

Should know the difference!

I am not just referring to RIDGID either, many people see typo's all over BIG COMMERCIAL websites, Its just silly and there is no excuse for it.

Sure, I for one, mess up on grammar and spelling all the time, BUT that's okay because I don't "get paid" to write, that's the difference and point I am trying to make,

If your job is to "write" "market" etc . Then HECK! You should do your job and do it well.

Getting paid to write and then having grammar / spelling errors is the same thing as a hack in plumbing etc, But instead its a grammar hack.

So ya, As far as I am concerned if you are bsing, posting on forums, sure, we all have typos. But when you GO TO WORK, and the "time-clock" starts well, please do your job the right way,

Comment

BHD: I am sure glad you didn't think I was "jumping" on you. I wasn't. I honestly thought you were doing it on purpose to test us. My best friend has dyslexia and I understand perfectly. I don't care how you say it, or how you spell it, just keep posting. I think your responses are terrific. PK

Comment

All this over a ma$$hole I no Rod knows what I am talking about
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Hey, as a guy who has made a fair amount of money over the years with "writing" (Technical), let me assure you that "spelling" does count. But let's really be serious here... spelling really only counts when you're being paid to deliver script to a targeted audience. Personally, I've made a few mistakes and am very grateful for "spell checkers" and even more so for the "editors" and "proof readers" in my past who have prevented such lapses from making it to press. As a "writer" it is my job to "communicate", it is the proof reader and the editor that gets paid to prevent the goofs. That of course doesn't relieve me from minimizing such errors.

But even in the creative writing business, "spelling" isn't nearly as important as the ability or talent of being able to "communicate" your thoughts and tell a story. Some of the most popular writers in history have been notorious spellers. One of the most recent that comes to mind is Stephen J. Cannell, who passed away earlier this month.

But, here on the forum or in general correspondance, "spelling" doesn't matter at all. If we are to poke fun, or somehow put ourselves into a position of being "spelling cops" then I think we do our forum friends a great disservice (sp?) (Sorry, is there a spell checker here on the forum?).

On the forums, in messaging, or in most publicly shared areas of written public exchange, correct spelling should never be a prerequisite or a publicly denounced flaw. Especially here, there are many valuable people who give of themselves and their experiences freely; and the simple fact that they are able to communicate their experiences with us is far and away more important than their ability to spell well.

Personally, I'd much prefer to share thoughts with someone who is challenged by "spelling", than I would with someone who is challenged by manners!

CWS
                              Last edited by CWSmith; 10-26-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X