Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norm, Josh, Can This Be Done?

Norm or Josh,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to slightly change the way a reply to a post is done. Sometimes it get rather confusing just who a particular poster is trying to communicate with.

What I was thinking of was a "reply to this post" box in the original post and also in all the following replies. Someone who wanted to direct an answer to someone other than the originator of the thread could then check the reply box in the post his answer is directed at. Then, at the top of the reply you could have a message that would state what particular post this answer is referring too. I wouldn't want to see you get rid of the reply with quote option but I think it gets overused a little due to the lack of other options. This feature is offered at the WoodNet site and seems to work very well over there.

Dave

[ 08-23-2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Dave, I will look into upgrading our software too the newest version. I dont know exactly how the replies are set up in the newest version of Ubb Classic but it may make some changes.

Eventually I would like to change forum software completely but its obviously important to be able to maintain all user accounts and previous posts.

We are looking at our options though.

Josh

Comment

Josh, if you do change the forum software could you consider one that will allow posters to upload images (maybe with a size limit)? Some well written posts in the past refer to photos which resided on other servers or in a users ISP ftp folder. When that user goes away for whatever reason those photos are lost and the post has lost any visual information that was originally associated with it.

I know there could be concern over storage space as time goes on, and I expect this is why images are handled the way they are now, but 200 or 300 GB drives are now so cheap its unbelievable (I remember paying $450 for a Seagate 32MB HD in 1987 )

Comment

Bob

The ability to upload images is one of our requirements for the new software. Thanks for the suggestion.

Norm

Comment

Working...
        X