X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Automotive Tools

What's your favorite brand of automotive tools?
    A) Craftsman
    B) Husky
    C) Mac
    D) S-K
    E) Snap-On
    Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Snap-On always been my favorite tools.

Comment

To use this question, you have to be specific that you mean something that someone would be going out and buying today.

I have several hundred pounds of Craftsman mechanical tools, acquired over the last [deleted] years, most of which are as good as you can get. However, if I were going out to buy something today, it would be Husky.

Just as with electric power tools, Craftsman tools used to be the best and were made by someone else. In the case of hand tools, they were usually made by Stanley. Then Sears decided, for reasons that have been debated, to sever its relations with Stanley, Emerson, and others, and substitute stuff that, in my judgment, can't hold a candle to the old stuff. Just like it did with the Ridgid brand name, H-D acquired the rights to the Husky name and the Husky hand tools its sells today are made by Stanley and the same as the "good" Craftsman tools used to be.

Comment

Re: Favorite Automotive Tools

Draper have always been my tool of choice but that might be because their shop is close to me, the people have always been nice and helpful and the prices I feel have been good also. Having said all that I live in Spain so finding companies who are reliable and honest are hard to come by, so once I find someone who can help me I tend to stick with them for some time!

I use http://www.premier-tools.com

Comment

I have always like SK tools, but there price is starting to get out of hand in my opinion, at one time they were sold locally, and I preferred them,

(we have never had a full service sears store and they will not warranty sears tools with out first sending them in so for the most part few sears),

The snap-on guy will not stop out where I am, (it is all off a truck here), there is no mac dealer, and husky have only been around for less than 2 years, (until 2 years ago no home depot)
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

There is a Sears Hardware store about 2 miles from me, so that's where I buy most of my wrenches, sockets, etc. Reasonably reliable, reasonably priced, and an easy to use lifetime warranty. I'd *like* to have all S-K, Mac, or Snap-On, but couldn't justify it.

Originally posted by RGad View Post
            Just like it did with the Ridgid brand name, H-D acquired the rights to the Husky name and the Husky hand tools its sells today are made by Stanley and the same as the "good" Craftsman tools used to be.
            Just for clarification, Home Depot did not acquire the rights to the RIDGID brand name. They do have exclusivity to sell the products, but Emerson still owns RIDGID.
            Last edited by smorris; 07-20-2007, 12:55 PM.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

J H Williams
              Armstrong
              Proto
              S-K
              Craftsman
              Others

In that order, but sadly Williams isn't near as strong a company as back when they were on their own. Today they are part of Snap-on. Mac is owned by Stanley Works and much of the Proto Industrial line (also Stanley) are very close if not the exact same tools, but the prices are much better for Proto than Mac.

Mac and Snap-on are nice but also very overpriced thanks in part to the way they are sold.

Comment

Snap-On is now my fav. Used to be craftsman because they were good quality, nice price and great warrantee. Will NEVER buy anything at sears again. 2 years ago, one of my craftsman ratchets stripped some gears, so I took it back to get another. They were insistant on giving me a refurbished one. I asked who refurbished them. "Our clerks" was the answer I got. This didn't fly with me. After about 3 months of phone calls and letters, I somehow made it through the chain of command to the President of customer relations. He told me that it is now company policy that "It is at the discretion of the store manager to exchange a new OR refurbished tool on a warrantee claim". I told him that I had been buying their tools for more than 25 years and I figure I have another 25-30 years of tool buying left in me. If he wanted to lose that business over a few dollars, so be it. He stood firm and so have I. I did a search on various tool forums and found I was not alone in this. When you see a warrantee that says "lifetime", you now have to wonder, who's lifetime? Losing my business won't hurt sears, but it sure won't help them. And being paired up with k-mart, they should be grateful for any business they can get.
                Wow! I guess I can rant just a bit...
                ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

When Sears dropped the mail order, I stopped buying Sears unless it is jsut a have to, there is no real sears store in our area, jsut a so called catalog store, and it is a joke, and you go in there and ask to order some thing, and they have a phone on the wall and say you order it. and then they charge you shipping to the sears store, NO WAY.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X