X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOME DEPOT

UNFORTUNATELY RIDGID WILL NOT SELL THAT MANY WOODWORKING TOOLS BECAUSE THEY USE HOME DEPOT AS THE EXCLUSIVE RETAILER. HERE ON LONG ISLAND IN NEW YORK YOU CAN VISIT A HOME DEPOT EVERY 12 MILES. TRY TO FIND A RIDGID WOODWORKING TOOL IN HOME DEPOT AND ALL YOU WILL SEE IS DEWALT, PORTER CABLE, MAKITA, ETC. WHERE'S THE RIDGID STUFF? OH HERE'S THE PORTABLE 10 INCH TABLE SAW THAT COMES WITH THE ROLLING STAND, THE DISPLAY IS ON A SHELF 8 FEET IN THE AIR, I CAN SEE IT GREAT FROM THERE, WHO KNOWS THAT IT COMES WITH A STAND BECAUSE THE STAND WENT IN THE GARBAGE. DOES RIDGID HAVE A SALES REPS THAT VISIT THE HOME DEPOT STORES? SOME DAY RIDGID WILL WAKE UP WHEN THEIR SALES FIGURES ARE IN THE TOILET AND FIGURE OUT THAT HOME DEPOT SUCKS AND THEY WILL MAKE THEIR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE TO OTHER RETAILERS WHO TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR CUSTOMERS.

You are correct. Ridgid realized sales were in the toilet. Unfortunately, instead of marketing elsewhere, they sold manufacturing rights. They no longer make the tools, but they are still sold under the Ridgid name and collect royalties.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Here in SD Rigid has pushed tremendously in the last 6 months. They have upfront displays in all the HD(as much as as I hate them they are a necessity here to any contractor here) Who manufactures the tools now, I never heard that when I was reserching my tools? there are always reps here in the stores here.

Comment

It's been almost a year since this thread started, and to tell you the truth in my local HD's I don't see much change for the better in the appearance of the Ridgid displays.

STILL, there is a lack of accessories on display, so they are unlikely to realize additional income from sale of these items at the tsame time the parent tool is bought.

STILL, the displays are piled high with crap from other manufacturers, like is was a back room storage area not a sales display.

STILL, the display areas are dirty, none of the tool are properly shown (missing most accessories like fences, guards, etc.) and they are covered with dust so deep you could measure it with a rule graduated in 16ths of an inch! No white glove test needed for these babies, you can see the inattention to detail and lack of maintenance as soon as you walk in the door. How long has it been since the TS2424 was closed out, or do they still make it. One local HD has Box #2 with the rails for a 2424 saw sitting on the floor last time I looked about 2 weeks ago.

The display model TS3650 is being used as a table to store a bunch of lesser-quality junk tools on, you can barely see it

If a Ridgid rep ever visits these HD stores, he sure isn't doing much for Ridgid letting this condition continue on for so long.

Comment

True, this sort of thing doesn't help Ridgid (or anyone else's tools at Home Depot, Lowes, or anywhere else). I'd like to know just how much power a "Ridgid Rep" has over what an individual store does? This sort of thing ultimately is the responsibility of store management. They are falling down on the job by not enforcing policies and procedures among the employees. When you vist you HD with the messy displays, do you get the feeling that the employees really give a crap?

The HD stores here in Huntsville, all have great displays. I get the sense that most employees, particulary the store nearest my home, really care about their jobs and their customers. That's why I keep shoping with them. The newest store that has only been open for a few months has the best tool displays with a slightly different department layout than the other two stores in my city but all three in the city have tool departments that are nicely set up for the tools. They have yet to receive any of the new Ridgid items such as the tool boxes. And, as with your stores, ours don't work too hard at stocking accessories for the larger power tools. It's rare that you see any accessories at my local stores and that was true before the change over to the new manufacturers.

Around here, the Lowe's stores tend to be the messy ones. Especially the nearest one to my home. And you can truly tell that most of the employees at that Lowe's store don't particularly give a crap about their job. But I rarely go there since HD opened up practically next door to Lowes. My local HDs are so superior in every way to the local Lowe's stores, there's no contest for me. HD gets my business. Plus, my local HDs have a far better selection of quality lumber than my local Lowe's stores.

[ 05-14-2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: George ]

Comment

Weird isn't it? How different the two are from local to local. Lowes seems to be better stocked and cared for in this area. As you said it falls on managements shoulders to correct problems such as these, but if I were the Ridgid Rep and saw my product line being displayed in such an unatractive manner I would certainly let the store manager and probably the district manager know about it. The tool corral area in the HDs are usually well cared for, it is the display area for the larger power tools that is so poorly groomed.

Comment

Bob D - My local HDs are the same way. Their most expensive wwing tools are crammed in the tool corral covered with dust and piled high with crap and other merchandise. When I was looking for saws about 18 months ago, I walked in and turned around and walked right back out. Hard to take them seriously... especially when you go to Woodcraft and see the machines displayed so beautifully....gives me the urge to buy stuff I don't need and can't afford!

Our local Lowe's does a much better job with their tool displays also. They're out in the open along a main isle that most of the customers will eventually walk right past. Most guys buying an extension cord have to stop and paw at them a bit. Merchandising 101....It's as important the "smile" theory, and only costs slightly more, so why does Ridgid spend millions advertising and quarters displaying the stuff?

Comment

In my area (Corning, NY) the HD is only about two years old and its a mess also. I don't understand how HD got to be as big as it is with the way the stores are run. The tool dept is dirty, tools not organized well, and the demo equipment, which is usually Ryobi or Ridgid is left in total disarray. Missing parts, bad setups, pricing not always marked and all too often just old models.

The personnel aren't much better. The sad thing is, I know a couple of the local guys and have worked with them in a local manufacturing company before they went to HD. These are smart guys who used knew their old jobs, but at HD they don't seem to be educated on the products or are not informed. In my local store, I even had the tool manager telling a customer and me that HD gave a lifetime guarantee on all of the power tools (regardless of brand). Most of the time though, you can't find an "orange apron" anywhere near the tool dept.

Comment

Ridgid should have went with blue and used lowes, HD is always a mess compaired to Lowes. I am in and out of the two stores in three states and it is always the same. At first I thought it was poor store managment at Home Depot but it must be poor managment at a higher level.

Comment

Originally posted by TAC:
                    Ridgid should have went with blue and used lowes, HD is always a mess compaired to Lowes. I am in and out of the two stores in three states and it is always the same. At first I thought it was poor store managment at Home Depot but it must be poor managment at a higher level.
                    That is undoubtedly true. However, don't discount the idea that the local management is also to blame. I have had good experiences with the head manager at the local (Garden City, Kansas) store, but the ***.(er, assistant) manager is not customer oriented. If there were a Lowe's here, I would shop there.
                    I am actually so pissed about the way he has treated me on the two occaisions I have had the misfortune of having interaction with him, I have considered shopping at the local lumber company, and biting the bullet on the higher prices. However, I have had overall good experiences for the past few months with the rest of the staff, so that guy can get bent.

[ 05-29-2004, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: tyxlc ]

Comment

I have run into a slightly different problem. I'm looking for a portable stand for my Delta table saw. As far as I have been able ascertain, Delta does not make the kind of stand I'm looking for. I went to my local Home Depot on the west side of Nashville to look at the Ridgid portable table saw and stand. It was not prominently displayed, but eventually I found it. The clerk was very helpful, but when I inquired about buying just the stand without the saw, he said that was no longer possible. He said it had come down from the HD corporate office. I like the way stand is put together and operates, but I do not need a new table saw. So, I'm going to continue to try to but a stand for awhile, but if that is not possible, I'm going to find a stand elsewhere, and HD will have lost a sale and some more of my good will. This is not my first problem with them, and some of the others have cost me money. Actually, I'm not very impressed with HD or Lowe's. They're both just things I have to put up with.

Comment

It is soooooo true that each HD is as different as night and day. There is a brand new HD in Carrollton, TX that is a disaster IMO. They do a piss poor job of displaying tools, their staff is incompetent, and the store is already mess. However, a MUCH older HD in Denton, TX is a carpenters dream IMO. The store is always clean. Their people are, for the most part, knowledgable, and they do a good job of displaying their wares.

All of the Lowes in my area seem to be fairly squared away. I like them all.

Comment

I went to a homedepot in Elmont Long Island yesterday and I was shocked, The tool area is twice as big as the rest in the city and as soon as you walk into the area you are blasted with Ridgid, all jobsite and stationary tools neatly lined up with about two dozen of each stacked high right behind them. This is the first time I have seen the Ridgid tools lined up nice and not mixed up with other brands such as ryobi. My Local Home Depot in queens just got a new Bobcat in the rental department, now I live in the city where you don't even have 20 feet of property what is a DIY going to do with this?

Comment

How can you guys get down on HD and Lowe's employees when you must know how much these people get paid? Have you any idea? I have never worked for them even in my younger years but I am in close contact with several people who do here in AK, including a front end manager, and I can tell you these people are making subsistence wages. Kinda almost exactly like WalMart. Is it an excuse for sloppy displays, inaccurate inventories, and lousy customer service? No. But I'm not going to point any fingers at them either when I am making 5 times what these poor people are (many of whom have no choice as they are either disabled or prevented in some way from holding down a REAL job).
                            Do you go to Wally World and expect the very best in customer service, displays and inventory when you are out shopping for that new gas grill or whatever? Or would you expect better service at a more higher end retailer? You get what you pay for. Obviously Ridgid chose HD to market thier wares partly I'm sure in order to stay competitive, but it's a double edged sword.
                            D.M.

Comment

Okay, but if they don't know what they are talking about, they still shouldn't act like they do. Lately, the problem has been management, not everyday employees, here. And it is, as I have posted before, probably the fault of the upper management, not the individual store management. That exception doesn't apply to that bastard I mentioned in my other post.

Comment

Working...
                              X