Member Status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member Status

What is the member status code based on? I noticed that there have been different titles lately, the most recent set being Craftsman, Professional, Novice, Ridgid Pro, and Moderator.

Are they based on activity? Is a Craftsman someone with Sears tools? Is a Ridgid Pro an employee?

My latest title is Novice. OK, maybe I have given some dumb answers or asked a dumb question. OK, since my profession is computing, not woodworking. But the title feels funny since I have rebuilt several "handyman special" houses, rebuilt 4 kitchens (including building all the cabinets for two of them) and 7 bathrooms, and learned to use a wood lathe about 47 years ago.

I was wondering the same thing for much the same reasons. Having decided more than thirty years ago that Ridgid was the tool source for most my needs I was a little miffed that I was suddenly a novice. What's wrong with new member or semi ridgid.
    anything but NOVICE!
    \"The details are where you and your gods smile at each other...\"

Comment

was wondering myself too... hey whats the craftman thing on me? how about a distributor...

Comment

We just upgraded the software for our forums. It now allows us to set up different levels for users depending on how many posts you have. Right now its set up like this...

0 - 9 posts NOVICE
        10 - 49 posts CRAFTSMAN
        50 - 149 posts PROFESSIONAL
        150 + posts RIDGID PRO

These are wide open to suggested changes. Do you guys have any suggestions for names at different levels?

Later, Josh

Comment

What are the ratings for really? I can see the need to know who just signed up and who has been around a while, but that is clear from the number of posts, isn't it? And what was wrong with the old ratings anyway? Personally, I thought the old ratings (new member, member and moderator) was just fine!

Just my 2 c...

Comment

What are the ratings for really? I can see the need to know who just signed up and who has been around a while, but that is clear from the number of posts, isn't it? And what was wrong with the old ratings anyway? Personally, I thought the old ratings (new member, member and moderator) was just fine!

Just my 2 c...

Comment

Its all a matter of taste. Some people have complained because there are no different levels depending on how offten you post.

You're opinons count though this is your community. So should we stick with the different ratings or scrap em and go back to the old system?

Josh

Comment

I have to say I was curious, too; just not curious enough to ask.

Once you have explained the grading scale, it is apparent that the labels and the values (for number of posts) are the same, which raises the question of whether you need both.

How about "Deckhand," "Quartermaster," "Mate" and "Captain"?

Frankly, if it were up to me, and if you had a reliable way of feeding the system the information it would need, I would key the ratings to the background (and presumed skills) of the individual. Something like "Weekend DIYer," "Hobbyist", "Amateur Furniture Maker," and "Professional Woodworker." But I don't think that's feasible.

Comment

Just a thought...

How about each member chooses their own rating? I guess I would like to lower mine from "Professional" to "Novice" on my own... I don't feel I have earned my "Professional" rating... I am a professional at some things but woodworking is not there yet... Just my thought... Trying to think out of the box a bit... Otherwise… I still love reading this site 10 times a day... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-25-2002, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Big Johnson ]
                  Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Heck I agree with Big Johnson, it was fine the way it was. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Apart from anything else, until this question arose, my impression was that some of these people are/were Pro's in woodworking. It did make me a bit curious as I know a lot of the names of various posters and familiar with some of the questions they have asked and things didn't jibe somehow. Now I know.. until the next time it gets changed.

Cheers Ivor in Calgary (Stampede City & G8)

Comment

The rating system is confusing, I don't think the rating should be on how many "postings", it should be on an individuals personal qualifications. The way it is a "professional" answers a question and someone (like me) not knowing would assume they know what they are talking about and in reality they might chase gophers in Podunk! I have a suggestion, it is probably a little bit much...but here it is: 1st category "homeowner" don't know of any homeowner that hasn't had to fix "something", 2nd "hobbyist" this one dabbles in a little bit of everything 3rd"Handyman" all around individual that does most of their own repairs and projects 4th "Advanced" this is a handyman that could work in the trades should they desire because of their expertise.5th "Professional" career individual and/or contractor 6th "Master" this is a master of their trade and have at least 30 years continuous in the trade....there, you have my opinion, and I don't believe there would be any doubt about someones qualifications.
                      \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

I sent this to the Webmaster yesterday but now I have the answer.
                        Hi: enjoy your forums very much. I registered yesterday (Ross J) and my member status is NOVICE. What exactly does this mean, your time as a member or your woodworking ability? I don't recall ticking anything off to indicate this. Just curious!
                        Thanks!
                        Ross

Comment

Ok, Ok... due to the confusion on the new naming system I have switched back to the old system. It is set up this way.

0-5 posts = Junior Member
                          5-100 posts = Member
                          100+ posts = Forum Pro

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Josh

Comment

some people have "rate member" and some don't, what is that about?
                            \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

hi ho silver,
                              All members by default have the rating link and the rating displayed. The reason you and a few other people dont have it is that you opted to hide it when you registered. You can change it back to being displayed if you want to. To do so click on the "my profile" link near the top of the page. Then click on "Update my Profile" link under this page. Then down under the options you will see something about displaying user ratings. Switch this to yes and you should be set.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X