Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24V Circular Saw R885

Hi,
    Has anyone used the 24V Circular Saw R885 ? It recently came in my combo set and I have been in love with all the other tools, all have more than enough power, especially the drill.
    However, I went to use the circular saw and couldn't even cut a piece of 5/8" plywood!??! I was pretty disappointed, tried both batteries which had full charges and worked well in the other tools. All it did was consistently stall... I couldn't even keep it spooled up by cutting very slowly. It wasn't being bound up at all... just like it had 0 power.

Is this the norm?? I've never used a cordless circular saw before. Should I try to contact ridgid to see if they can refurbish it or something?

Thanks for your help,
    Mike

Re: 24V Circular Saw R885

If you just bought it from Home Depot you can exchange the combo kit for another one. I would first try giving your saw a little breaking in. Try a fully charged battery and just run it in free air not sawing for about 5 minutes. Then switch the battery for one you know is fully charged and try sawing with it.

A friend has an 18 Volt DeWalt and we can saw through 2 x 4s with it pretty fast. Maybe you have a defective blade or it's not installed correctly. If you can, try it with another blade and be sure it's installed correctly. Please see pictures and note the teeth. Red blade needs to rotate CW and silver one CCW.

Please note the teeth and the direction arrows. While I doubt this is the case it is possible to install a sawblade backwards. They sometimes will still cut, but the saw really labors.

Good luck and please post updates.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 02-05-2007, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Just used my 18V counterpart to your R885. Its smoother than my 25 year old corded skil circular saw and much more powerful than my old 18v craftsman cordless circular saw.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I haven't tried the 24v, but I have the 18v and I am a convert. I seriously thought that a cordless circ saw would be a joke until I used it. I have only used it since December, but it has cut through everything I have tried it on. As a matter of fact, my wormdrive SkilSaw hasn't seen the light of day since. I will be building a shed shortly and I am sure I will have to break out the Skil with that many cuts, but I have been seriously impressed with the cordless for the medium duty work.
        Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

I have the R885 and I use it all the time to cut 5/8 plywood. I can cut all day with one battery. There is something wrong with your saw. Just exchange it because when you get one that works right you will never touch your 7 1/4 again. Just be carefull bacause the tool really doesn't fade, I found myself just a little more than half way from ripping a 4x8 long ways when my battery died. Nothing worse than being stuck holding a dead saw and half a sheet of 5/8. Live and learn.

Comment

Ditto to the other guys, I have the 18v circ saw and even with the smallest ridgid batteries (1.4mah) it works great.
            With the Max HC it really kicks arse so I cannot imagine what it would do with 24v or lithium!!!

Comment

I also have the 24v saw and it is powerfull and a pleasure to use, except for the sawdust cloud. I cut 3/4 plywood, osb , plunge cut with ease and even ran it backwards with no slow down. The batteries hold a charge well too.

Comment

I couldnt agree more, I have the 24 hammerdrill and circ saw. I use the saw almost every day, and it has plenty of power. I'm so impressed with the Ridgid line so far that I just bought the 24 jigsaw and the planer then sawzall wont be far behind. The only reason I havent bought the sawzall sooner is because my Dewalt is still like brand new but I find myself hoping it will die just so I can switch to the Ridgid. I just bought the jigsaw today and cant wait to use it. I am switching to Ridgid as my Dewalt collection dies as so far the Dewalts dont even compare in quality and power. The whole nose piece and some of the parts in the lever to change the blade fell out of my Dewalt sawzall within a couple weeks of purchasing it, and I was just to lazy to return it. Now, I cant wait for the whole thing to fall apart so I can add to my Ridgid collection.

Comment

Originally posted by kelpike View Post
                  I couldnt agree more, I have the 24 hammerdrill and circ saw. I use the saw almost every day, and it has plenty of power. I'm so impressed with the Ridgid line so far that I just bought the 24 jigsaw and the planer then sawzall wont be far behind. The only reason I havent bought the sawzall sooner is because my Dewalt is still like brand new but I find myself hoping it will die just so I can switch to the Ridgid. I just bought the jigsaw today and cant wait to use it. I am switching to Ridgid as my Dewalt collection dies as so far the Dewalts dont even compare in quality and power. The whole nose piece and some of the parts in the lever to change the blade fell out of my Dewalt sawzall within a couple weeks of purchasing it, and I was just to lazy to return it. Now, I cant wait for the whole thing to fall apart so I can add to my Ridgid collection.
                  I couldn't agree more, I had dewalt XRP for a long time and it was ok but when I saw the lithium ion Ridgid go on sale for $317 , I had to get a set and try it out. First the drill drills twice as many holes as the dewalt in a charge and the batteries on the ridgid don't heat up so if you do run it hard till you kill the charge the batteries arn't hot so they will go right to charging as soon as you put them on charge. All my co workers saw how much I love my ridgid 24v kit and after spanking thier dewalts thouroughly in every way they went out and bought their own ridgid 24volt kits and they absoulutley love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    If you just bought it from Home Depot you can exchange the combo kit for another one. I would first try giving your saw a little breaking in. Try a fully charged battery and just run it in free air not sawing for about 5 minutes. Then switch the battery for one you know is fully charged and try sawing with it.

A friend has an 18 Volt DeWalt and we can saw through 2 x 4s with it pretty fast. Maybe you have a defective blade or it's not installed correctly. If you can, try it with another blade and be sure it's installed correctly. Please see pictures and note the teeth. Red blade needs to rotate CW and silver one CCW.

Please note the teeth and the direction arrows. While I doubt this is the case it is possible to install a sawblade backwards. They sometimes will still cut, but the saw really labors.

Good luck and please post updates.
                    Just want to thank you for the tip on breaking in the Ridgid cordless saw. I just got it today and was not at all impressed and was getting ready to return it when I read your tip. Followed your advice and ran it in the air for a while and now it's working great.

Comment

Originally posted by ARE1 View Post
                      I also have the 24v saw and it is powerfull and a pleasure to use, except for the sawdust cloud. I cut 3/4 plywood, osb , plunge cut with ease and even ran it backwards with no slow down. The batteries hold a charge well too.
                      I used the 24V Circ saw for the first time....i bought it in a combo kit a few years back. I love all the tools in the kit. The power remains full until the battery dies. The down side is you don't know the battery is dying, it just dies. However, that is a small price to pay instead of a fading battery. Saw worked great, until I dropped it and it broke the blade housing. A new housing is $47, a refurbished saw on Home Depot is $50. I have cut through many pieces of 7/16" OSB and 2 X 4's like butter. Love the tools, the quality, everything about them. They definately outlast me on the job site
                      Last edited by Boz; 09-06-2009, 09:39 PM. Reason: mispelled words

Comment

Working...
                      X