X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid finish stapler

I bought a narrow crown stapler today. I love it. It was either that or another 16 gauge nailer (my passlode impulse got permanently "borrowed") and with all the 1/4 mdf I've been popping up i went for the stapler.

It is very solid, it feels good in the hand, nice and light, easy to load, swivel air inlet, tough case, even the safety specs that come with are comfortable! I am sold on ridgid air guns. The reviews I've seen say no jams too, and so far so good.

A+
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: ridgid finish stapler

Thanks for the info. I need my boss to buy me a new stapler for work and I need to know something specific about the Ridgid. With the safety guard in front of the firing pin, can you shoot a staple at an angle? The Porter Cables, the safety is behind the firing pin so it wont engage if I try to angle it into a corner. It might do it in a corner, but there are times when I have to angle it in, but dont have a corner to engage the safety on.

Does this stapler also take the Porter Cable 18 gauge staples? Bostich and Paslode require a 7/32" crown(even though the box says 1/4" crown). Most Porter Cable staples, nails and brads, fit most other guns. We buy the PC staples at work, and Im not about to buy my own staples for work, I may buy my own gun, but not the staples.

Thanks

Comment

I am pretty sure it takes the pc staples--I know it takes senco for certain. As for the angle shooting, I did shoot quite a few at a slight angle in corners and though I wasn't paying close attention to the ease of this I didn't notice it being any harder than any other stapler/nailer I have used. I can't compare it to the pc stapler since I haven't tried it, but I will take a closer look at the nose on monday and report back.

Comment

I just got one too. Love it also! I retired my old Senco 15 pound monster for the Ridgid.
        As for the staples, HD carries the Senco brand 1/4" ones. Personally, I've used the Porter Cable staples and they suck!!! I bent more of those than any other brand. I trashed an almost full case not long ago and bought the Senco's instead. No more bent ones.

On the safety, I rendered mine inoperative. I hate them and will buy tools only if I can delete the "safety" crap fairly easily. Like i've said before, most "safety features" are NOT for the end user but for liability sake of the manufacturer.

One other thing I did was cut off the belt clip. That thing really pissed me off and saw no way to remove it so it came off with some help from my band saw.
        Other than that, it's great so far. Tons of power and VERY light weight. Just hope it lasts as long as my old Senco.

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I might have to "demo" one at the store some night before I buy it (being an apron has its privileges) It will be used mostly at my regular job though so the PC staples are a must for me. I can handle buying my own tools (even ones that are normally provided) but I wont buy my own consumables

Comment

Hey orange,

I got a chance to use the stapler with your question in mind today while installing some parting stops. It worked great at many angles. No problems, and I'm running it on the lil' one gallon senco compressor. I'd guess that wood meister's is even better in the corners, but for myself I am too used to the safety feature on pneumatic guns to try to retrain myself not to rely on it. My 23 gauge pinner has no safety and I have fired one or two off by a mistake

Anyway, if the pc staples are 1/4 inch crown it should take em.

Comment

I agree completely with The Wood Meister about that stupid belt clip! The gun is great as far as everything else...power, weight, etc. but that belt clip drives me nuts. It hangs partly over the handle, and while you can rotate it, it won't really get out of the way.
              Who hangs an air tool by a belt clip anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by LONGHAIR View Post
                Certainly not one with the safety disabled! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by LONGHAIR View Post
                  I agree completely with The Wood Meister about that stupid belt clip! The gun is great as far as everything else...power, weight, etc. but that belt clip drives me nuts. It hangs partly over the handle, and while you can rotate it, it won't really get out of the way.

I hang my guns by the hook. I guess you've never been up on a ladder installing crown. I like to put hooks an all my air guns.

Comment

I am rarely using my stapler on a ladder, but I do use the hooks on my other guns sometimes when I am on a ladder as newman suggests. The disabled safety issue brings up some cringing thoughts though!

Comment

I guess you've never been up on a ladder installing crown.
                      Not with a stapler.

Comment

I just received the Ridgid stapler. I am very surprised as to how lightweight it is. I like the ability to use 3/8 to 1 1/2" staples. My Craftsman stapler only goes to 1" and I'm limited to staple sizes.

I am new to the 18ga 1/4" crown staple as my Craftsman is a 20ga
                        1/2" crown.

I just tried the stapler on a small project and I'm very pleased!

Now, how do we get Home Depot to carry 3/8 to 1 1/2" staples?!!!! I know that almost any 1/4" crown staples will fit be it Senco, Grizzly, or other.

I was forced to buy staples via amazon.com and was really screwed on shipping costs. But, I was able to a box of 5000 of each size. I won't need to restock staples for a long while.

I also like the fact the stapler is oilless.

Cactus Man

Comment

I use the "Monster Hooks" while on ladders. hooks up easy to the tool belt in whatever location I want.
                          ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X