X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid DP1500 vs HF 43378 opinions

I'm about to buy a drill press, and have read excellent reviews on both of these.

How do they stack up against each other?

One thing that neither one has is a laser guide. Not crucial, but with my eyesight, I need all the help I can get. Do the aftermarket guides work?

Thanks

Al
    America:
    The land of the free
    Because of the brave

Re: Ridgid DP1500 vs HF 43378 opinions

Gee. Thanks guys.

Al
    America:
    The land of the free
    Because of the brave

Comment

Al,

Sorry there hasn't been much action on your thread. Chances are that those that own one won't have experience with the other. I have the Ridgid DP and I think it's great. Speed changes are easily accomplished, and the chuck locks up very nice. It's very stable, and the table locks in place easily.

One thing about the light is it causes a shadow towards the front of the bit, as the light source is behind and above the bit. I have found using the shadow to lineup the bit pretty handy. Especially on a pointy bit (brad-point and the like), this works really well. On a forstner bit it's a little tricky. I have a portable shop light that is near the DP, and that makes it much easier. It's nice having that light there, and I do use it every time I'm doing anything with the DP. It takes a standard bulb, so it's easy to replace.

That's about all I can say, as I've never used the HF DP. I'm very happy with the Ridgid, and see no reason to upgrade or replace it.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sorry about overlooking this thread.

I have purchased the Ridgid 1550 after looking at several other brands/models. I have not seen the Harbor Freight units though.

I picked the Ridgid, because it just appeared to be built with better quality. Most of the DP's that I looked at, used a rod to limit the depth, whereas the 1550 uses a hub-type depth scale mounted on the feed. While not for everyone, that was a feature I liked. Also the 1550 has a decent range of speeds (300 to 3100 in 12 steps), good power (1/2 HP), and an overall fit and finish that illustrates a higher level of quality over some of the competing DP's.

IMO, many DP's have table's that are more in line with metal work, while the Ridgid is designed of woodworking and the rim is such that it is easy to clamp to. Also, the quill/depth feed is very smooth operating, with no snags or points of resistance along it's travel. Controls are all smoothly operated and the extra "ears" on the base provide a little more stability.

You should not overlook the warranty (90-days satisfaction return policy and 3-years), and with registration, a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Having given the Ridgid DP1500 a good looking over, I would say that for the money you'll do well. I own a JET but it's more machine and would cost a good bit more if I had to buy a new one. I found a special on it some time back. As for better lighting and viewing, you might like a small magnetic base "task" (work) light that you can stick on the side of the drill press or on the table. Please see link below for a few ideas.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...r=3489%50mode=

If you have trouble with the above link, please let me know. I'll find another way to let you see what I have in mind. This little lamp with magnetic base is just too handy not to have one around. I bet someone can find a better price.

One thing some users may miss is not having a Morse taper socket spindle in a drill press. For home woodworkers I doubt you'll ever need it. For people that do some metal working or that have had this feature then they may require it. I personally would want it very much. The problem is that this is a feature that requires a good step up and there goes the $$$.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Woussko; 03-21-2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

My DP is a old Craftsman. But to answer your Q about the aftermarket DP lasers I received one as a gift this past Christmas and have used it a couple times so far and like it. Compared tot he ones that I have seen come as standard on the Delta and other makes it is virtually the same. It came from Woodcraft.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have found no significant difference of using an after-market laser vs. a built-in one. Proper attachment and positioning is key, of course, and you'll probably want to simply clamp it in place until you're sure you have it just right. Good luck with your drill press.

Comment

So, which drill press did you buy?
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Had a 20 year old Craftsman that eventually wore out. Bought the Ridgid.

It's OK for wood, but I mostly do metal. Table flexes so I braced it. Chuck is OK but the spindle has slop. If you need precision buy a mill.

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Drill%20Press/

Comment

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. It's nice to see I'm not the only member in MD on here. I agree about trying to do any serious metal work with the DP1500. It's more for wood and home user types.

I think the Harbor Freight web site is in error but it claims a 13" diameter circle capacity. For woodworking that's not near enough depth. I would need to see it in person. It has a rather small round table too. Again, another light duty DIYer drill press. OK, I'm spoiled and that's my problem. With either knowing it was made using child slave labor over in China would make me want it long gone fast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    acemery

Please tell us what you did buy and what you think of it.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 11-09-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X