X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2600 Random Orbit Sander

Ridgid Random Orbit 5" variable speed sander.
    Just purchased one of these the other day
    I paid $89.95 cdn.

My initial reaction was.... pleased

Nice molded case (a plus for me because I'm mobile half the time)
    Solid well built feel to the tool (seems like good quality)
    Extra long cord with lighted plug and a velcro cord wrap (why aren't all corded tools like this?)
    Nice variable speed control, works well
    Decent dust collection, though I removed and used a shop vac (solid sturdy filter, well placed)
    Big assortment of reasonably priced sanding disc's available

Would I buy again? Sure wood

Cheers! - Jim
    Last edited by jbergstrom; 04-01-2007, 11:51 PM.
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Re: R2600 Random Orbit Sander

i got this sander this past christmas and i really like it i have used it on some body work and wood working projects alike. it is smoth running and it has a soft start so it don't twist you hand off. and the case has enonght room for 2-3 boxes of sanding disks
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
      it is smoth running and it has a soft start so it don't twist you hand off. and the case has enonght room for 2-3 boxes of sanding disks
      I hear you, I like the weight of the tool as well - not too heavy but heavy enough to absorb the vibrations

It's a great case and nice to be able to chuck everything you need for sanding in there as well Like I said I'm on the road most of the time and I'd rather have a case for a tool then to have it rolling around loose. I've got cases for other tools that didn't come with em but after you load five or six tools into a bigger box they start to get heavy . (did I just say that? I must be getting old )

Cheers! - Jim
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
        Ridgid Random Orbit 5" variable speed sander.
        Just purchased one of these the other day
        I paid $89.95 cdn.

My initial reaction was.... pleased

Nice molded case (a plus for me because I'm mobile half the time)
        Solid well built feel to the tool (seems like good quality)
        Extra long cord with lighted plug and a velcro cord wrap (why aren't all corded tools like this?)
        Nice variable speed control, works well
        Decent dust collection, though I removed and used a shop vac (solid sturdy filter, well placed)
        Big assortment of reasonably priced sanding disc's available

Would I buy again? Sure wood

Cheers! - Jim
        Got one in December and agree completely.

DWC

Comment

You should try their 6" ROS, it'll make you throw out the 5".
          The only reason I got the 6" was that I originally bot the 5 but the variable speed control didn't work, and the one I exchanged it for at HD also had a bad VS control, and a third one had a bad VS. So I got a 6" ridgid ROS and am glad the 5" ones were lemons.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I guess I got lucky

Mine works perfect
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------

Comment

I figure that they produced a bad run of them and fixed the problem eventually.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

on year 4 of my 2nd R2600 (my 1st one grew feet and walked off a job site! Imagine that) As with all my tools, brand name is secondary to performance and features. Like other Ridgid corded tools, this one has the lighted plug (cool, not necessary though) BUT, the length of the cord sold me (same with my Ridgid inline 3x21 belt sander- the PorterCable would have required an extension probably 99% of the time!) anyway - the cord length is actually adequate! The variable speed was the clincher, as the others (I think it was DeWalt & Porter Cable I was comparing against) didn't have variable speed - I would say this is huge, although 85% of the time, I have it all the way up, but when you need it slower, you really need it slower. The HUGE problem this sander has, is the ease to which one can inadvertently turn the machine off while it's in use - hassle, and while handling in off setting, very easy to have it turn on accidently. Also, I am in need of a replacement hook & loop pad - been using hot glue as of late

Comment

Working...
                X