X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ts3650 Table Saw Review

I started out by researching online to find the table saw I wanted. I read many, many articles and opinions and to sum it up, the RIGID TS3650 appeared to be the best saw for my budget and my garage (did not want to rig for 220V). I also like the mobility given by the lift kit.

Assembling the saw went fairly smoothly. Will say that two of the bolts that attached the leg support braces snapped when tightening and I had to replace them. Also of note, one of the bolts holes used to attach the right side cast iron extension (as looking from front of saw) is badly placed. You have to work the bolt pretty good to get it seated in the threads.

A good tip is to ensure you download the newest assembly instructions from the rigid site. It provides clearer instructions than the manual that comes with the saw. Aligning the saw is easy--not that much to it. Mine came from the factory pretty much spot on. Hardest part for me was to get the lift kit working right. The bolts have to be attached just right or it will not lift. New manual clears this up. Although the lift kit works when properly adjusted, the bolt design and the way the pieces are attached to the frame is not well designed. Over time, I could see these bolts failing if the lift is used a lot.

After reading that factory saw blades from rigid or pretty much any mfg are not that great, I started out with a Freud blade. Saw cut through my first 2x4 like hot butter....nice and smooth.

Everything was square as well. However, after working with the saw a while on my first project, I noticed the cuts were no longer square. I rechecked everything and found the saw blade was no longer parallel to the miter track. Hmmm.....Manual provides instruction on how to square this up.

When I attempted to loosen the trunion bolts, I discovered they were not that tight to begin with. In other words, saw came from the factory with those things not being torqued down. After reading through posts on this site, it appears other TS3650 owners have reported this problem. My recommendation is to check these bolts before putting the saw in operation.

So, in my estimation, although the saw was squared up when it left the factory, the trunion bolts not being torqued down caused the saw to shift and become misaligned.

Anyways, no problem--at least I thought. I figured with the manual and patience, I could realign the saw. Not so. I readjusted and readjusted...got the blade parallel to the miter track..perfectly square--tighened the bolts back down, rechecked for parallelism and it seemed to be fine...Cut perfectly straight. However, when I attempted to adjust for a 45 degree cut, I discovered the saw could not tilt. As it would bevel to about 5-8 degrees, it was cutting metal slither out of the trunion tracks...BAD.

Anyways, long story short, I tried everything (followed the manual step by step and the suggestions of other folks) to get this saw adjusted so that it would tilt and cut straight...nothing worked.

I emailed Rigid. Bottom line, they recommened I return the saw to the retailer.

I tore the saw back down, put it in my truck and took it back for a refund.

At this point, I don't know if I got a lemon from the factory or if the saw is poorly designed. After seeing all the reviews, it may be that I just got a lemon.

At this point, I am back in the market for another saw.

I give Rigid cudos for making a sight like this.

DB

Re: Ts3650 Table Saw Review

I had the same thing happen to my saw. I spent countless hours getting the saw squared up and I went to adust the saw to make a 45 cut and it bound up. I have spent more time assembling this saw and getting it to cut square than using it. I re-veneer speaker cabinets as a hobby and was using a Ryobi saw for years with no problems except it was to small. So I decided to buy the Ridgid TS3650 because of the large table. I was let down when I saw that it was not made in the US, I would have gladly spent more money to support our local economy. I also own a ridgid drill press which is made in China. I don't think much of it either. It does it's job but barely. What ever hapend to good quality american made power tools? Now I get to load this 300pound in my truck and bring it to a service center for repairs. I wonder if they are going to compensate me for my time and gas? We shall see!

Comment

Working...
    X