Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Dual Voltage Cordless Wet/Dry Vac

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
    I haven't heard or seen anything to lead to believe that this MaxSelect tool is being discontinued.

I believe you may have suffered at the hands of yet another ill-informed Canadian Home Depot staffer. This item is not available at your local store, not because it's "being discontinued" as the staffer said, but because this MaxSelect wet/dry vac has never been sold at any Canadian HD stores, as far as I know. They did not have it, and could not order it, because it's not available on our side of the border.
    Canucksartech: My Canadian Home Depot staffer was well-informed after all. I have confirmed that this tool is discontinued. I sent a message into Ridgid (Emerson) asking if it is still available, and received the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting RIDGID® Customer Support. The WD2450 is indeed discontinued and Home Depot is currently selling these while supplies last. There is not a replacement model number at this time for the cordless vacuum.
    Regards,
    RIDGID® Customer Support"

Comment

Originally posted by jimme View Post
      Canucksartech: My Canadian Home Depot staffer was well-informed after all. I have confirmed that this tool is discontinued. I sent a message into Ridgid (Emerson) asking if it is still available, and received the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting RIDGID® Customer Support. The WD2450 is indeed discontinued and Home Depot is currently selling these while supplies last. There is not a replacement model number at this time for the cordless vacuum.
      Regards,
      RIDGID® Customer Support"
      I guess I can be wrong now and again.

But that has JUST happened in the U.S. (was not listed as being discontinued back when your original post was on the 10th), where they are clearing out the wet/dry vac. And either way, your local HD store associate was still somewhat wrong - it doesn't matter if it is now being discontinued in the U.S., as it was never retailed here anyways, and he couldn't get it either way since you just can't get it at the Canadian HD's. Also, if he told you it was being replaced with a newer model, it looks like your note from customer support says otherwise.
      Last edited by canucksartech; 06-30-2008, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        it doesn't matter if it is now being discontinued in the U.S., as it was never retailed here anyways, and he couldn't get it either way since you just can't get it at the Canadian HD's. Also, if he told you it was being replaced with a newer model, it looks like your note from customer support says otherwise.
        I looked over the WD2450 and could not find the usual made-in-xxxxx tag. Could it be a genuine Emerson-Ridgid product made USA? That could be one reason for the product unavailability/discontinuation.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
          I looked over the WD2450 and could not find the usual made-in-xxxxx tag. Could it be a genuine Emerson-Ridgid product made USA? That could be one reason for the product unavailability/discontinuation.
          Yes, it is a USA-made item I believe. There is a silver foil sticker on it on the lower left side of the black plastic near the handle (on the side with the screws going in) that says, "Ridgid Wet/Dry Vacs, St. Louis, MO". So it appears to be a genuine Emerson/Ridgid product made in the USA. But I don't know if that's necessarily a reason for the product unavailability/discontinuation.

HD/Ridgid has clearanced out and not replenished the MaxSelect product line in Canadian HD stores - you can't get them here anymore. And in the US, the MaxSelect caulking gun and wet/dry vac are going that way also it appears. There have been rumours on here of Ridgid getting ready to do a repackaging/re-assortment of these tools, but it doesn't seem like that's happening anytime soon - I just flipped through the 2008 Ridgid Powertools Product Guide the other day, and everything is listed in there as per normal (ie - how it's been, solo MaxSelect tools).

Josh, ProBrand - any news on these changes?? Ahem, I mean, anything you can let us know right now as to what's going on with this stuff?
          Last edited by canucksartech; 07-01-2008, 10:35 PM. Reason: Speelings

Comment

The Canadian HD customer service person who tried to get me a MaxSelect cordless vac a few weeks ago was told by Emerson that it was being discontinued in preparation for a new line of batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by jimme View Post
              The Canadian HD customer service person who tried to get me a MaxSelect cordless vac a few weeks ago was told by Emerson that it was being discontinued in preparation for a new line of batteries.
              Hmmmmm. Interesting.

Josh? ProBrand?

Comment

So my HD has a few of these on the shelves for $49.99. Any good reason why I shouldn't pick up one? Do you think the filters will still be available after they discontinue it?

ghost

Comment

Ghost, pick 'em up!! I've done the same, and picked up a few.

I don't think it should be an issue with the filters, as this unit has a kick butt filter in it, and it is a filter that is used in a few other Ridgid wet/dry vacs. So, they'd have to discontinue a bunch to not make that filter anymore. You can always pick up a spare one or two.

But this unit is a steal at that price.

Comment

Thanks canuck! I picked one up tonight for $49.99! Now I only have the 18V and 18V 2.5 ah batteries. Are the 24V that much better to have in this vac than the 18V versions?

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      Thanks canuck! I picked one up tonight for $49.99! Now I only have the 18V and 18V 2.5 ah batteries. Are the 24V that much better to have in this vac than the 18V versions?
                      Yes they are, but sort of. Confusing? Yes.

The 24 volt gives a higher RPM to all of these MaxSelect tools, so with the wet/dry MaxSelect vac, the higher RPMs would lead to slightly better suction. Run time is also at a slightly better advantage. But, if you have the 18 volt 2.5 Ah batteries, they are pretty good compared with the 24 volt 3.0 Ah batteries. Run time is fairly simply determined by the Ah, and RPM's/torque/speed more determined by the higher voltage, to put it somewhat simply.

The vac is a higher drain item, so there are some definite advantages to the 24 volt batts, but you don't need to get them unless you have some more of the other MaxSelect tools to use them on (recip saw, circ saw, jig saw, etc.)

So...do you need to get the 24 volt batteries just because you have this MaxSelect tool? No, what you have will suffice, especially if you already have multiple tools. But, if you have the chance, should you pick them up to add on to your collection if you get them at a great deal? Absolutely.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I love my Ridgid tools and would like to try out the lithium batteries, but like you said, I want to find a great deal first. I don't have any tools that would run them except for the vac. Not only that, but after reading this entire thread, it seems as if there may be a new type of battery on the way? If so, it's probably best to wait and see what Ridgid has in store for us. No matter what though, for $50, this vac sucks in a good way!

Comment

Hhmm, seems like I might have to make a stop in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                            Any good reason why I shouldn't pick up one? Do you think the filters will still be available after they discontinue it?
                            Sear stocks a lot of replacement filters and one potential filter had the same diameter but was a bit shorter.

Comment

interestingly enough I picked one up today, then went back just before close and got the 24v 3 piece set to play with tomorrow... gonna sell my porter cable heavy duty sawzall and ridgid nicad 18v stuff asap now... gonna keep my makita lithium 18v 1.5ah stuff though because they're alot lighter than the ridgid can't wait to vacuum my truck tomorrow... did the work truck today with the nicah 18v so tomorrow lithium 24v tackle my personal truck

Comment

Working...
                              X