X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Dual Voltage Cordless Wet/Dry Vac

This review is for the Ridgid Dual Voltage Cordless Wet/Dry Vac (Ridgid model # WD2450, SKU # 642-623). I bought this at the retail price of $69.00. It, like other Ridgid vacs, has the Ridgid "Full Lifetime Warranty" right from the get-go, so it's kind of nice that this is not another tool to mail stuff in to register for that.

This vac, even though it is cordless/battery-operated, is one tough mother. I like what I see with it so far. The design is good. It's not overly huge, which makes it nice for transporting around. It weighs 6.8 pounds for the bare vac (with no battery or attachments), and 8.2 lbs with the hose and nozzle attached. On the negative side of it's size, it only has a 3 gallon capacity, but it only has about a usable capacity up to about 1 to 1.5 gallons. This is due to how the filter come down right in the center of it, and takes up the majority of the space. Not a big deal in my opinion though, as this is the type of vac, due to running on batteries, that makes sense to empty out when you change out the battery.

Speaking of batteries, the run time is quite good. It states on the material that this vac is rated at 16 minutes for a fully charged 24 volt XLi battery. With no load, this vac ran for 12 minutes on my 1.5 Ah compact lithium-ion battery which was fully charged prior to running - quite good, considering. But slap a 24 volt XLi battery on this puppy, and wham-o! This thing has as much, if not better, RPMs and suction as my standard little 5 gallon Ridgid shop vac. On the 24 volt battery fully charged prior to running, with no load, this sucker actually ran at 18 1/2 minutes. And again, I can't stress enough that the suction, RPMs, and performance of this thing, especially with the 24 volt XLi battery, really made me do a couple of double-takes, as it seemed somewhat disbelievable that this thing was a cordless, battery-operated wet/dry vac.

The hose is a rubberized hose, which is much nicer, more hardy, and more flexible than the crappy plastic hoses included with other Ridgid vacs. The hose takes 1-7/8" attachments. This may be the only real con to some people, as it only comes with the one attachment, and you need to buy the attachment kit if you want others (like the dust brush). Also, many may already have 2-1/2" attachments, since that is the more common size. This wasn't a huge con for me, as when I bought the corded Ridgid 5 gallon shop vac, I got one with the 1-7/8" hose, since I knew I would eventually buy this cordless vac, and I wanted to be able to use the same attachments with both.

So, that's about it for my review of this tool. Any other specs, you can find on Ridgid's product page for this vac. I'd give this a 4.5 out of 5 - a great tool for the price point, and to add in with your other Ridgid cordless tools.

Re: Ridgid Dual Voltage Cordless Wet/Dry Vac

Thanks for the review.

I would work hard to rig up a good way so you can use more standard 1-1/4" size hose and attachments. Get inventive.

I'm sure with demand on the rise that in time Ridgid will offer more accessories in what they call the 1-7/8 size. I need to sometime take measurements of some as my bet they are not really 1-7/8" at all.

Comment

I personally like the 1-7/8" ones. I find that the 1-1/4" attachments and hoses plug up too easily and also don't allow a lot of suction though comparatively speaking. The 2-1/2" stuff works better in allowing more suction and is less prone to plugging up, but I find that the attachments and hoses are too big and bulky for car clean-up for example, and are unable to get into tight spots. I personally feel that the 1-7/8" is the perfect blend between the two. I saw that this cordless wet/dry vac, when it came out, used the 1-7/8" hose and attachments, so when I bought myself a 5 gallon corded wet/dry vac when they went on sale around Father's Day last year, I made sure to pick up one with the 1-7/8" hose, so I could pick up one attachment kit to use with both tools, rather than one kit for each different vac. And I'm pretty sure that they are right on at 1-7/8".

Comment

Great review Canuck

$69 bucks? you lucky dog

snatched up one off Ebay last week should be here today

Comment

I agree that the 1-1/4" attachments and hoses are on the small side for a shop vac. I also feel that for many uses the 2-1/2" which are really much closer to 2" ID can be a bit large and hard to use at times. The mid-way size should be nice. With commercial vacs they have 1-1/2" ID hoses and attachments that I really like but such don't come cheap. In most cases they run into good $$$ but then they are higher quality and made for heavy use. I'm wondering how close in inside and outside diameter they may be to what Ridgid calls 1-7/8. Guess it's time for me to get my old auss over to Home Depot and get a sample or two. If anyone is interested here are some Ridgid brand hoses and attachments in the 1-7/8 size.
          http://ridgidparts.com/accessories/vacacc_eighth.phtml

Mostly what I'm wondering about is what it will take to change over from one size to another. If the drum inlets are the standard size and type then just a change of hoses should work.

Woussko has some checking out to do and the need to figure an easy way to switch from one size to another. There's got to be a way.

Regardless, I'm glad you like your new cordless vac.

If I do find any easy way to convert from one size to another, I'll post about it and what's needed. I remember reading other posts about the 3 sizes issue and need to try to remember to get some samples. I personally use other brands of vacs and thus aren't effected so I tend to forget to look into this.
          Last edited by Woussko; 03-05-2008, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Great review Canuck

$69 bucks? you lucky dog

$69 is the regular price now

Comment

Great review Canuck

$69 bucks? you lucky dog

Hey PC,

You couldn't find them in your region? I was pretty sure they were available on the east coast?

Comment

Woussko,

I just measured both this new cordless wet/dry vac, and my standard Ridgid 5 gallon shop vac. Both are the 1-7/8" size.

The male end (attachment end) of the hose has an outside diameter of 1-3/4" (interior is about 1-9/16"). The interior diameter of the various attachments are 1-7/8" for the interior diameter, and about 2-1/16" for the outside diameter of the various tools/attachments. The end of the hose that connects into the vacs is 2-3/16" (the interior diameter of the connection port opening is 2-1/4"). They have that funky plastic clip thing, for the "stay-put connection" or whatever they call it, but it doesn't stay put worth a crap. Not a big deal though - I just put a couple (3) of thin elastics around the circumference of the hose before I put it into the connection port, that way it acts like a sort of gasket, and keeps a nice tight fitting while keeping the hose very firmly connected.

Comment

Canucksartech;126193

Thanks for the info

I still want to sometime do more research and find a good simple way so people can change from one size to another. With ShopVac brand vacs with 6 gallon and larger drums most if not all models have the same size inlet on the drum. They have a wide assortment of hoses, attachments and such so it's easy to change. I like their filters and bags much better too. I think Ridgid has some catching up to do. As for the motor-fan assembly, that really depends on the model. Both have good models and both have junkers.

I personally have a real nice Milwaukee true industrial vac. It's quite a different machine, but I won't need to replace it for a long time. It's made to be fixed up as necessary. It did cost good $$$ but then it has earned it's keep many times over. Their hoses, drums and such are quite different from any home use type of shop vac. For my nasty work I have a real ShopVac that's been pretty good. At one time I had a Ridgid 6 gallon but got fed up with problems that were filter related so out it went. My Milwaukee was made under contract by MasterCraft Industries for Milwaukee and MasterCraft is only into true commercial floor care machinery. I wanted a horse and I have one.

http://www.mastercraftusa.com/
                  Last edited by Woussko; 03-06-2008, 08:38 PM. Reason: goofs

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    Hey PC,

You couldn't find them in your region? I was pretty sure they were available on the east coast?
                    Yea, found one open crushed box last weekend at my local HD

I NEVER buy an open box product

Tool guy says no discount on the $99 price (still $99 here no price drop here yet) , "everything is in there"..... Yeah, right

Used the hell out of mine today...I love it and so do my customers. They all were very impressed with the quality and performance. WTG Ridgid

Canuck, I see you have a buyer for your Ebay vac

Comment

Tool guy says no discount on the $99 price (still $99 here no price drop here yet) , "everything is in there"..... Yeah, right
                      I'm pretty sure that $69 is the new price that Ridgid/HD is rolling out across the board with these. There were some discrepencies with this right around Chrismas/New Year's, but apparently, it's been $69 across the whole U.S. for months now. I'd give that local apron of yours a bit of a smack.

Canuck, I see you have a buyer for your Ebay vac
                      Another one on the go. A few more left.

Comment

Discontinued?

My wife went to our local HD (in Toronto) to get me one of these Ridgid Dual Voltage Cordless Wet/Dry Vacs for Fathers Day. They had none in stock, and the Customer Service Manager told her they could not order it because it had been discontinued, and was being replaced with a new model.

Anyone have any news on this??

JimE

Comment

I haven't heard or seen anything to lead to believe that this MaxSelect tool is being discontinued.

I believe you may have suffered at the hands of yet another ill-informed Canadian Home Depot staffer. This item is not available at your local store, not because it's "being discontinued" as the staffer said, but because this MaxSelect wet/dry vac has never been sold at any Canadian HD stores, as far as I know. They did not have it, and could not order it, because it's not available on our side of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                            I'm pretty sure that $69 is the new price that Ridgid/HD is rolling out across the board with these. There were some discrepencies with this right around Chrismas/New Year's, but apparently, it's been $69 across the whole U.S. for months now. I'd give that local apron of yours a bit of a smack.
                            I guess that smack really works because the price dropped to $49. It looks handy for small cleanups and gives my Ridgid batteries a workout prior to charging. Keep on smacking...

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                              I guess that smack really works because the price dropped to $49. It looks handy for small cleanups and gives my Ridgid batteries a workout prior to charging. Keep on smacking...
                              LOL. Not bad, huh??!! LOL.

Now, time to do my evil bidding on the contractor's table saw!

Comment

Working...
                              X