Ridgid 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver

Hello to all, I bought one of the "two" packs and liked them so much I bought another for the house. A friend liked them so much he bought another one. So far they have done everything we have asked of them. Hopefully they will last for a long time.
    Jerry

Comment

I thought I had posted to this thread some time ago, but I don't see it here, so must have been on another thread. In any case I pretty much agree with everyone's opinion.

I purchased this tool a few months ago and have sort of liked, disliked, questioned my decision, and now have reached some positive conclusions of my own.

First off, the chuck on my driver appears to be wobbly, but in fact, it's only the outer sleeve that gives that illusion. With a drill bit in place, it runs true.

The light I have come to appreciate, especially when doing work in a darkened closet, corner, or under a shelf or cabinet. However, because of the LED's location the chuck is in the way of the beam. So, if you want light at the point of the bit, you need to use an extension of some kind to get the driver bit out in front about 3-1/2 inches.

Battery longevity is terrific, to say the least, but this baby could use more torque. My Ridgid 9.6 V Pivot Driver actually is better at driving a long screw in spite of the fact that the 12-V Li is supposed to have 20 inch-lbs more torque according to specs. But with a fresh charge I've stalled the 12-V and finished the drive with Pivot Driver. I'm hoping that as the Li-Ion batteries mature, they'll be more powerfull from a torque standpoint, but I'm not sure that they'll work that way.

I do like the chuck and the fact that I can use a regular drill bit. This little thing is great for driving pilot holes and as such I use it in conjuction with the Pivot Driver when I'm doing a lot of fastening.

Over all I've come to like the compact size as it fit's into places a large drill/driver won't go. But the balance is off and though short, it is a bit bulking feeling. Still, it's sort of a nice idea and it doesn't take up a lot of space, fitting easily into the tool bag with the other stuff I need for a projecct. But it doesn't fully fit my need for a drill, because of it's lower RPM. Nice for pilot holes, but too slow for serious drilling. Likewise it really isn't a driver either, in as much as my Pivot Driver has greater torque power, a smaller head with a quick-change chuck.

So, I suppose if they equipped this little 12-V unit with a two-position speed setting and a bit more torque, it would be ideal.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

So, I suppose if they equipped this little 12-V unit with a two-position speed setting and a bit more torque, it would be ideal.

CWS
        I guess they listened because I just picked one up today. I can't find ANY information about it online either. It has a model number on the box of R92008 but the model number listed on the drill is R82008. It's not even listed on the Ridgid site.

It is 2 speed (0-320 & 0-1300) and has 240 in./lbs torque and a 3/8" 3 jaw chuck. I was trying to find so information about it online but there doesn't seem to be any. It's pretty nice though. I got it in a small kit with 2 batteries, a charger and a flashlight.

Comment

The info for the R82008 is on the Fuego portion of the website.

I have both the R82007 (Bought in a kit with the Impact Driver from HD) and the R82008(Bought in a kit with a 1Watt LED Flashlight from HD). I tell you what, for the price and performance, these lil guys really can't be beat! The funny thing is, the 82008 has a two speed transmission and twice the torque, yet amazingly feels the same weight as the 007 (Although it is a bit longer). I highly recommend picking one up.

I've been on a light power tool kick here lately and along with the two Ridgid kits, I picked up a Makita BDF452HW and a DeWalt DC835KA and am amazed at the power these tools can muster in such small packages!

Although I have other power tools, the 12V Ridgid's are quickly becoming my favorites and are starting to get more use than the rest of my "toys". So far, I've only had one problem. I leave the 82008 in the truck, which gets pretty hot during the summer when parked. I pulled it out to use it the other day and it wouldnt work. No light, no spin, no nothing. It took me a while, but I remembered that the battery shuts off after a certain temp(The inside of the car was 115+) and once I brought it inside for a minute, to allow it to cool off, all was well. Great little tools.

Comment

So, I've been using this little puppy for a while now, and I'm still quite happy. Here are my thoughts:

The wobblyness to the outer-sleeve of the chuck is still there, but it hasn't gotten any worse, nor has it affected the center of the bits once held tight in the chuck's jaws. It's still just a "cosmetic" issue, if you will.

Battery performance and longevity in this drill is quite amazing. Actually, I find that my 18 volt compact (1.5 Ah) lithium-ion batteries do slowly discharge over the course of a month or so if they aren't used (not a real big issue for me, since they rarely go that long without being cycled and used - it just depends on jobs being done). But these little 12 volt lithium ions hold their charge quite well. Sometimes, I don't use this little guy for up to 2 months at a time - yet, when I go to use it, I can drill as much, or put in as many screws, as I find that I can with a freshly charged battery. So, it appears at a glance, that these hold their charge very long over storage time without much of a power loss, which is what we've been told to expect with lithiums, but we haven't really been getting with the 18 or 24 volt batteries. No other battery or charger issues - all working fine.

LED light - nice, working fine. With it's crisp, blue-white light, and it's placement on this little drill (IE - no big chuck to get in the way of the light), it's perfect for small cabinet work.

Speaking of small cabinet work (which is the majority of what I use this drill for), it's absolutely perfect. It seems like it was task-matched and designed solely with this in mind. This thing works perfectly for installing cabinet doors, Euro hinges, handle hardware, drawer slides & tracks, etc. It's just a very handy tool for this, and makes doing these jobs easier, without the bulky usage and wrist strain of using a larger drill to do these smaller but accuracy-needed tasks.

Very happy.

I have the solo drill kit (single speed), the original version to come out. I've got it paired up for these jobs with a small Bosch 10.8 volt PS-40 Impactor, and a Bosch 10.8 volt LED flashlight to work with the Bosch 10.8 volt batteries. No, I don't have full battery compatibility obviously between the brands, but I have the best of all worlds with these tools, and they work phenomenally for me for these tasks.

Comment

New guy here.

I've been reading this forum for a couple weeks now as I was researching the different brands (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch and Ridgid) to try and figure out what was the optimum choice (for me) in a sub-compact drill/driver.

For my 18V set up, I use Dewalt as that is what we use on the job and thats what I'm accustomed to working with. Also, we brutalize our tools and of course some break over time, but for the most part... they hold up rather well.

Being in the plumbing trade, I have several Ridgid hand tools and I am very biased in regards to using anything else. With that said, I took a good hard look at the 12V R82008.

After reading this thread and getting a little hands on at the local Home Depot, I did in fact become a new and proud owner of the R92008 combo kit (R82008, LED flashlight, 2 batts, charger, soft case).

I looked at the chuck and noticed two things. First, there was no wobble to the outer sleeve, and second, after tightening the chuck all the way closed, there was no gap in between the jaws. This makes a difference when you need to use the smallest drill bits.

The DeWalt, Milwaukee and even Ryobi had that minute little gap when the chuck was closed all the way.

I haven't used it yet, but just from looking at it close and the over all feel, I'm pretty happy with this purchase. I'll know more once i put it to use.

Just thought I would share.

Comment

Sounds good. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunnel Rat View Post
                  New guy here.

I've been reading this forum for a couple weeks now as I was researching the different brands (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch and Ridgid) to try and figure out what was the optimum choice (for me) in a sub-compact drill/driver.

For my 18V set up, I use Dewalt as that is what we use on the job and thats what I'm accustomed to working with. Also, we brutalize our tools and of course some break over time, but for the most part... they hold up rather well.

Being in the plumbing trade, I have several Ridgid hand tools and I am very biased in regards to using anything else. With that said, I took a good hard look at the 12V R82008.

After reading this thread and getting a little hands on at the local Home Depot, I did in fact become a new and proud owner of the R92008 combo kit (R82008, LED flashlight, 2 batts, charger, soft case).

I looked at the chuck and noticed two things. First, there was no wobble to the outer sleeve, and second, after tightening the chuck all the way closed, there was no gap in between the jaws. This makes a difference when you need to use the smallest drill bits.

The DeWalt, Milwaukee and even Ryobi had that minute little gap when the chuck was closed all the way.

I haven't used it yet, but just from looking at it close and the over all feel, I'm pretty happy with this purchase. I'll know more once i put it to use.

Just thought I would share.
                  i love the 12 volt stuff too, but I hope they go in the direction that milwaukee is going in. Milwaukee has about 15 tools, improved batteries and chargers as well.

Comment

Nice review canucksartech..

Any words or updates on the drill ?

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad View Post
                      Nice review canucksartech..

Any words or updates on the drill ?
                      Thanks.

No, nothing really new. A little problem has kind of popped up on me with this tool, as for the last few weeks one of the batteries is failing to charge. When I plug it in, the lights on the charger start flashing "defective battery". But, this has only creeped up during the last few weeks, and it's only about 50% of the time. I don't know if it's due to a shift to cooler temps or what, but it is something that I will be keeping an eye on.

Other than that, things are good with this little tool. It works great, lots of "oomph" for the size, and the chuck is still true and center (besides the chuck's outer-sheath wobbling).

Very well worth the money, IMO.

Comment

Temperature does affect lithium ion batteries and chargers. Make sure the battery is 'well set' into the charger and keep batteries in the house and charge up there. In Canada, weather is a factor!
                        Quixote

Comment

We have 6-7 of thesenewer two speed drills. all of the batteries exect two are giving a defective pack error. batteries are less than six months old and are used indoors only. thee do not get used or charged everyday. We use them minimally for odd and end jobs. They are changed maybe once a week.

I have talked to other contractors that use this battery, they all basically said they never got more than 6 months out of these, maybe 8 months max. I called the repair center. he said it would be almost 2 months to get a replacement battery and YES they are under warranty. What's the deal with these batteries. We have drills that are like new and no batteries to make them work. What's the deal Rigid?

Comment

I bought a pack of R82007's about 2 years ago and now one of my batteries is throwing the error code. I also work as a plumber and was going to pick up a 2 speed drill if it would spin fast enough to handle screws for B venting.

I also have a Milwaukee Hackzall that has died, neat tool but can't get it wet. That's a bit of a hazard for plumbers. I replaced it with a corded Fuego recip saw and it has performed beautifully.

So I have to choose which battery to build off. If Home Depot will exchange the battery on me then I'll probably stick with Ridgid. If not, I'll look for a bare Milwaukee tool as I already have 3 of those batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                              A little problem has kind of popped up on me with this tool, as for the last few weeks one of the batteries is failing to charge. When I plug it in, the lights on the charger start flashing "defective battery". But, this has only creeped up during the last few weeks, and it's only about 50% of the time. I don't know if it's due to a shift to cooler temps or what, but it is something that I will be keeping an eye on.
                              So, over the last few months, I've noticed this happening more and more. I've even taken this drill kit, and sat it on the kitchen counter overnight (to let it get/stay warm), and then tried charging it. Same thing. One battery will not charge at all - charger is flashing defective. Yet, it's not an issue it appears of the battery being completely overdrained - if I put it on the drill and pull the trigger, there is still a trickle of juice left to it, and the drill will function for a second before dying (light and movement). Also/however, the other battery, once fully charged, if I go to charge it again, the charger starts flashing defective. So, I'm thinking it could be a charger issue of some sort, tying in with the batteries. Time for me to maybe drop it off to a service center.

On a side note, I just noticed how many views my little review has gotten. Wow. Hopefully it helped out some people with their own tools.

Almost fourteen thousand some-odd views for my little thread. Geeesh - you'd have thought I would have got some Thread-Of-The-Week nominations for this one!!!
                              Last edited by canucksartech; 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Decided to buy a M12 drill which I am very pleased with, came with a great mini version of my larger Milwaukee radio for $79, 2 batts, well made bag, charger at HD.com. one day sale. Should have bought 2 but they sold out fast.
                                An all metal chuck , better ergonomics, no battery issues yet. Just put the 2 side by side, pick up both,tighten the chuck, run the tools, no comparison, the M12 wins easily. The torque is amazing for its size. I think the M12 lineup is the way to go. There is a definite upgrade in the Milwaukee line, which there should be. I come to see that you pay almost the same but get a lesser tool overall. The LSA is the only advantage, but aside from batteries I have never since the '70's had a Milwaukee tool fail. I would rather just go for the better tool, and have a line up that is consistent and can be counted on in the future if you want to expand. This exclusion of batteries not in a kit not having LSA, is a bad policy on Ridgid's part, and I do not plan on buying anymore cordless Ridgid tools. It seems it is a marketing spin to get you into the idea of "free" batteries for life hoping you will ignore the fact that the tools themselves, which cost as many times as much as the Milwaukee versions, but are sub par in performance.
                                On the earlier Bosch 10.8/12v line , they are not really keeping up and the performance of the milwaukee batteries are better. Bought the PS50 multi tool , eats batteries in 10 minutes, good thing I have 6 and only paid $99 for the kit.

Comment

Working...
                                X