X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver

This review is for the new Ridgid 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver (Ridgid model # R82007, SKU # 589-891). This drill has "Micros" on the drill and on the box. Not sure if this means that Ridgid is releasing a micro-powertool lineup, or if this is just the nickname or title for this drill.

I bought this item at a retail price of $118. It was originally announced it would be sold at $129, so this lower price is quite nice. Now, I only got this drill today, so I can only tell what I've found out with limited usage of it today. Further long-term testing will tell better.

This drill comes with 2 batteries, the charger, the drill, and it comes in a neat little canvas case. This is about the only Ridgid canvas case that I actually thought was a good idea for their tools. I personally hate the canvas bags that come with other kits and drills. But this case is a sweet little zip open unit, and it has stretchy elastic bands and velcro straps inside of it to secure all of the parts. Very cool.

The little pocket drill/driver weighs in at only 2.4 pounds with a battery loaded into it. Even at that though, it feels a little top heavy - it's not that the weight overall is too much, but just that it's all in the top of it. Feels a little bit weird - not the greatest design from an ergonomic standpoint as you can feel your hand is a little bit more tense to hold the drill as intended - the top sort of wants to do it's own thing.

The charger is similar to other Ridgid chargers in basic design, but is still a fair bit different in general appearance due to the different battery design with this unit. The LED patterns are easy to understand, and the LED display is on the front of the charger, rather than on the left side. The charger charges a fully discharged battery in about 30 minutes even (I had 31 for one battery, and 34 for the other, one was fully and completely discharged, the other had just a slight amount from factory).

The chuck sucks. It's a nice fairly compact little chuck, but it is horribly prone to movement and wobble with the outer sleeve. You can sort of shift it by hand, and correct the outer sleeve, and make it dead center, but it finds an out of center position again after using it for a bit. It doesn't look like the jaws of the chuck itself are off center, but I'm a bit worried, as my other Ridgid drills have developed a bit of an off-center condition in the chucks. Have to wait and see. The chuck also does not have the ratcheting little noise when tightening it. I sort of like that, as it lets me know when I'm good to go.

The clutch settings are quite nice - works nice. Overall drill speed, when used in conjunction with a light clutch setting for the work you are doing, makes this drill a very functional little unit. It would be phenomenal for installing cabinetry and similar uses. I used it tonight for readjusting our cabinet doors in the kitchen at home - they badly needed it. Much nicer to use this tool rather than a handheld screwdriver, or my 18 volt "compact" lithium ion drill.

The LED light is okay - a neat little feature that's coming out on new tools. I like it.

I don't yet know overall run times. I will update more as I get more chance to use it further.

Overall, this little drill will blend in nicely with my other Ridgid tools, as the styling works well with the MaxSelect and the various lithium-ion tools that are out. I like the very compact nature of it, and know I'll find some indisposable uses for it eventually. Right now, I'm giving this tool about a 3.5 out of 5. I'll keep it, unless it turns out to be a dud.
    Last edited by canucksartech; 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM.

Re: Ridgid 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver

[QUOTE=canucksartech;125874]This review is for the new Ridgid 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver (Ridgid model # R82007, SKU # 589-891).

"The chuck sucks. It's a nice fairly compact little chuck, but it is horribly prone to movement and wobble with the outer sleeve. You can sort of shift it by hand, and correct the outer sleeve, and make it dead center, but it finds an out of center position again after using it for a bit. It doesn't look like the jaws of the chuck itself are off center, but I'm a bit worried, as my other Ridgid drills have developed a bit of an off-center condition in the chucks. Have to wait and see. The chuck also does not have the ratcheting little noise when tightening it. I sort of like that, as it lets me know when I'm good to go."

Thanks for the review, The chuck part of your review worries me as a design problem with this tool, I have yet to lay my hands on the tool you are talking about, I intend to take a look at it this weekend. I like the idea of a chuck on a compact drill as I want to drill pilot holes for small projects. Maybe you have a faulty piece?

Comment

I looked at the display beacuse I wanted to buy this but the chuck is very poor quality, clunky design[I do not really care what it looks like, or if it matches anything if the design in use is good]. This seems typical as Ridgid seems to buy the cheapest chucks on their drills which lead to runout and loose bits. A 1/4" chuck that was good quality on a tool this size would be better in tight spaces anyway. You can buy cut down shank drill bits but would you need to drill over 1/4" with this anyway?
      A chuck is a critical part of any drill.
      I bought 2 Skill drivers for $25 each [$55 at Lowes]on clearance, each, LiIon 7.2v, 0-500rpm , brake, fuel gauge built in, clutch,metal gears,autolock,and they work great, plenty of torque for its size. Has the QD chuck though.
      I have Bosch ps40 and 10 which far out class this Ridgid tool.
      I will stay with my older 12V ridgid drill driver.

Comment

I looked at it today. The display model's chuck was so tight that I could barely turn it to adjust the jaws. Seemed odd.

Comment

Originally posted by jaco View Post
          Thanks for the review, The chuck part of your review worries me as a design problem with this tool, I have yet to lay my hands on the tool you are talking about, I intend to take a look at it this weekend. I like the idea of a chuck on a compact drill as I want to drill pilot holes for small projects. Maybe you have a faulty piece?
          Jaco, I went through 7 different packages of these, at 2 different stores. I bought the best one I could, chuck wise. Also, I had to find a kit where the serial number on the drill matched up number wise with the serial numbers on the charger and the 2 batteries. I know it might not really matter in the long run, as when you register them, you do so based on the numbers you got, and they might not match. But (and I do believe others have had this problem on the forum), if I need to get them serviced, I don't need some guy at a service center giving me a rough time if the number on the battery or charger doesn't match the number on the drill. May seem like a stupid thing, but it was worth the extra 10 minutes at time of purchase to open them up and verify this, especially if it saves a hassle down the road.

Chuck wise, I picked up the best one I could. All of them had a sloppy feeling chuck. None of them were overly tight or loose, they seemed to all operate fine. But the outer sleeve is definitely not precision assembled onto the chuck, and there is about 1.5 to 4 millimeters of play in the sleeve, back and forth (varied depending on which one you pick up). This may not seem like a lot, but on this small of a chuck, and with this small of a tool, it makes for a noticable shudder that it gives the tool when using it, due to the off-center weighting this creates.

Comment

Canuck, that was a great relatively unbiased review of the new R82007. I checked out the 12V Li-ion drill/driver and liked the size but the display unit had a security chain wrapped around the handle that made the drill feel more top heavy and uncomfortable. Other HDs displayed the unit without the battery. It was difficult to choose between R82007 and the new sub compact Milwaukee. I ended up spending $150 for the R86006 with 2 18V Li-ion batteries because it was so light compared to my older Ni-cads. My R86006 performed well and did not have the chuck wobble. I went for the torque and sacrificed the size advantage (for now). The R86006 is definitely compact enough and light enough for my home projects. If the price for the Bosch pocket drivers drop because of the competition I may consider them. Currently the Bosch Xmas specials are still available, i.e. free holster or flashlight.
            Last edited by reConx; 03-21-2008, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks, reconx. Tried to keep it as factual as possible.

I also have the R86006, and think it's a fairly nice piece of hardware. I'm quite happy with it to date. I picked up this 12V Micros to have something smaller to use when I'm doing under cabinet work, or something where smaller is just simply better/easier to use.

Comment

Did anyone ever find out if this was just a bad batch of drills that have a garbage chuck, or is it all of them? I'm looking at either getting this or the Milwaukee 12v lithium driver.

Comment

Not sure. Mine is working quite well. The outer shell of the chuck does have that wobble to it, but it is just the outer cover. The chuck jaws themselves are dead center. I've used a bunch of longer bits (brand new, sure and straight), as well have tested it with a test shaft. This drill's chuck, even with the outer sheath wobble, is holding bits dead center. It's actually more dead center than my 18v and 24v Ridgid drills. Bang on with this one. Pretty impressed so far, due to the wobbly outer portion of the chuck being more of a cosmetic/appearance issue, rather than a performance issue.

Comment

I haven't noticed a wobble on mine yet. Used everyday, just over 2 weeks now. Maybe I'll take a hard look at it tommorrow.

Got mine as a birthday gift from the wife. Been looking at them since they first hit Home Depot. She only bought it because it was "cute"

Some of the guys were giving me a hard time about the new 'purse' I was carrying around but they all shut up when they needed to get into a tight corner and their driver was too big.

The only drawback I can find is that the LED light is located just above the trigger. Using a drill bit, the focus on the workpiece is fine but the chuck casts a shadow on the workpiece when you are using a short driver. My work looks better in the dark so I keep the lights turned down low

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      Not sure. Mine is working quite well. The outer shell of the chuck does have that wobble to it, but it is just the outer cover. The chuck jaws themselves are dead center. I've used a bunch of longer bits (brand new, sure and straight), as well have tested it with a test shaft. This drill's chuck, even with the outer sheath wobble, is holding bits dead center. It's actually more dead center than my 18v and 24v Ridgid drills. Bang on with this one. Pretty impressed so far, due to the wobbly outer portion of the chuck being more of a cosmetic/appearance issue, rather than a performance issue.
                      So you would recommend it over the Milwaukee even though they are different in the aspects of their chuck design? 3/8" vs 1/4 quick change hex.

EDIT: Don't bother answering that question, for my application, I need the speed of the 1/4" hex chuck, so I guess as of requirement the Milwaukee is the right one for me.
                      Last edited by RTTR; 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RTTR View Post
                        So you would recommend it over the Milwaukee even though they are different in the aspects of their chuck design? 3/8" vs 1/4 quick change hex.

EDIT: Don't bother answering that question, for my application, I need the speed of the 1/4" hex chuck, so I guess as of requirement the Milwaukee is the right one for me.
                        I would recommend it, but if you're needing the 1/4" quick change hex, then the Milwaukee or the Bosch is the way to go.

I like the fact that the Ridgid one has a small 3/8" chuck. Neat feature, IMO. I would honestly like to see Ridgid come out with one that has the 1/4" quick change hex, though. It would be good to see them expand the "Micros" 12 volt lithium ion line-up.

Comment

I'm considering upgrading some the small drills I use in my shop and have given some serious consideration to these new Ridgid drills. I love that they come with an actual chuck instead of a goofy 1/4 inch socket. Ugh...that socket thing annoys me, I mean...I don't want to buy special drill bits and I like to use them for more than just screws. Sometimes I want just stir a quart of paint!

I like the very small drill for shop work because they tend to fit in small places and I can afford to have 3 or 4 of them set up with different bits. Plus I don't have to kill myself lugging them all over the place for a project.

I am a bit discouraged however at the trend recently to make tools obsolete so quickly. I don't want to buy a bunch of these drills only to find they no longer make them come spring. I also don't want to have 30 different batteries and chargers everywhere.

Anyone know if they plan on exanding the 12v lithium ion line in the future? If they came out with a flashlight and a dremel type tool it would be a complete no brainer for me to go out and buy it all up.

Comment

You may also want to look at the Bosch PS30-2A 12V Max Litheon™ 3/8" Drill/Driver. It has a much better feel/balance than the Ridgid. To me, the Ridgid has a bulky top heavy balance, (reminds me of the Buck Rogers ray guns if anybody is old enough to remember them!) where as the Bosch has a much more streamlined chck and will/should fit into tigher places.

Comment

I have never been satisfied with the chucks that come with drills. The first thing I do with a new drill, is to replace the chuck with a quality keyless one. Chucks found on most drills are far from the highest quality. The best I have found so far is the one used on the Dewalt 3-speed, 18V drill. The chuck has carbide grit embeded jaws that insures drill bits won't slip when under maximum torque.

Comment

Working...
                              X