X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Jobsite Radio review

The ridgid radio is pretty good as it hooks up and charges and plays an ipod. Doesn't crank like a good boombox and it does not charge the battery. I like it but it would be nice if it charged the battery instead of just needing one when there is no power.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Ridgid Jobsite Radio review

It'd be handy if it offered a standard outlet, instead of just the charger outlet. At least if my charger was plugged into the radio, maybe I wouldn't forget it and leave it at customer's houses! Nothing more annoying than having to track down a customer and retrieve tools you left there.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Yeah, what did you think about that huge steel bar around it? Or how heavy it was? I wasn't expecting that when I got it.

Comment

was looking at them on ebay and at HD today and didn't see it charging batts and assumed it didn't glad I came to this forum... I'll wait til they do come out with one that does

Comment

I have owned the radio for about 4 months, and I have some reservatons about having bought it. We use it in the shop, in the recroom and out by the fire at the lake. The battery (24VLion) lasts all day and the sound is acceptable if not as good as a (more fragile) boombox. My complaint is with the FM reception and the fact that all the controls have to be reset every time you turn the frigging thing on! The radio doesn't remember the volume, bass, or other settings when powered down, which is really annoying. The FM antenna has a lug to attach an external antenna, and we have had to add about 8' of wire to get it to work! I'm thinking of getting an amplified antenna like we added to our boat radio to bring in FM. Since it has the 12v outlet we could power it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Measureoncecuttwice View Post
            I have owned the radio for about 4 months, and I have some reservatons about having bought it. We use it in the shop, in the recroom and out by the fire at the lake. The battery (24VLion) lasts all day and the sound is acceptable if not as good as a (more fragile) boombox. My complaint is with the FM reception and the fact that all the controls have to be reset every time you turn the frigging thing on! The radio doesn't remember the volume, bass, or other settings when powered down, which is really annoying. The FM antenna has a lug to attach an external antenna, and we have had to add about 8' of wire to get it to work! I'm thinking of getting an amplified antenna like we added to our boat radio to bring in FM. Since it has the 12v outlet we could power it from there.
            I remember reading a while ago where a guy replaced the antenna on his Milwaukee radio with a more powerful one he got at Radio Shack. You may want to try this solution for the FM problem.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I got mine home...plugged it in...it worked ok...didnt like the fact it didnt charge batteries...next morning took it to work....plugged it in and it didnt work...took it back...I'll wait for the upgraded model...I think????

Comment

Originally posted by Measureoncecuttwice View Post
                The radio doesn't remember the volume, bass, or other settings when powered down, which is really annoying.
                Did you put the battery that comes with it in? The radio comes with a battery to keep time and settings. I've had no issue with mine thus far.

Originally posted by hawaiianbasshead View Post
                was looking at them on ebay and at HD today and didn't see it charging batts and assumed it didn't glad I came to this forum... I'll wait til they do come out with one that does
                It could take awhile. DeWalt owns the patent on the radio/charger, which means the Ridgid can't charge a battery. Not until the patent runs out, or it is opened up for sharing.

I love the radio. Take it to the island each weekend to listen to the iPod with everyone. We even managed to play Sirrus Radio through it. Dispite not charging it is a pretty kick *** radio.

NOW PLAYING:

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                  I remember reading a while ago where a guy replaced the antenna on his Milwaukee radio with a more powerful one he got at Radio Shack. You may want to try this solution for the FM problem.
                  i have a dewalt and have the same problem ,i do like the way the Milwaukee sounds much better then the dewalt
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

New guy here

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago. I've noticed that a fully charged 18v Li-ion will completely drain in about 3 days even if the radio sits unused.

At first I thought is was a battery problem, but I've tried different packs; same thing.

Does this happen to anyone else or do I have a lemon?

Comment

Originally posted by stickmanradio View Post
                      Did you put the battery that comes with it in? The radio comes with a battery to keep time and settings. I've had no issue with mine thus far.

It could take awhile. DeWalt owns the patent on the radio/charger, which means the Ridgid can't charge a battery. Not until the patent runs out, or it is opened up for sharing.

I love the radio. Take it to the island each weekend to listen to the iPod with everyone. We even managed to play Sirrus Radio through it. Dispite not charging it is a pretty kick *** radio.

NOW PLAYING:
                      How does the BOSCH radio charge batteries (only other one that does) if dewalt owns the patent?

Comment

Dewalt (B&D) can license the patent to whomever they want (there are some rules, but let's pretend they have lawyers that can let them bend them). Bosch might be willing to pay; or alternatively, Bosch has some patent(s) that B&D wants so they cross-license them.

Comment

Well, Here's a quick review for anyone considering an investment in the radio.

First, I'd like to state that I am a Ridgid fiend when it comes to tools. I have almost all of them and love'm. I also longed for this radio to come out. I have now had one for several months and found it to be less than wanting and way below standards that I thought Ridgid set for its tools. Here's the complaints so far:

1. It's heavy and somewhat awkward to carry. The cord isn't conviently located.
                          2. The reception is terrible. I don't even know if the antenna is doing anything. I have to turn the radio to get better reception.
                          3. The sound degrades quickly at higher volumes.
                          4. It is a battery hog. It kills it off even when the radio is not operating.
                          5. Tuning is a real pain. Searching AM stations is like pulling teeth.
                          6. What's the deal with the NASCAR bands? Even if I was going to an event I find it hard to imagine lugging this anchor around with me.

You may ask if I found anything redeeming in the radio that I can report. Well, yes I can. It's orange.

That's it for today!
                          Kilroy was here!

Comment

I'm having the same problem with the battery.

A fully charged 18V Li-ion will drain overnight (without operating the radio).

On battery power, the radio only goes for about 3 to 4 hours.

This can't be right???

Comment

I've had my Ridgid radio for about 7 months now ant then only down sides are that it doesn't charge batteries and the life span of a battery is about 4 hours if used with an ipod.

Can someone give me some info:

In the operator's manual it says power supply that is 120 volts, AC only (normal household current), 60 Hz. Do not operate this product on direct current (DC) through the power cord. A substantial voltage drop will cause a loss of power and the motor will overheat.

Now my question is....... I thought of getting a power inverter but not sure what kind of wattage I would need to run the ridgid radio and with the above statement is this a good idea or does that basically mean not to attempt such a scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X