X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330 planer is horrible

I have just purchased the R4330 thickness planer today and started using it to mill down some mohogany boards that I have. I have never used a tool that has so completely let me down. The automatic feed did not feed the wood, I had to feed it manually. The blades dulled within 20 uses. The depth adjustment would move when I was planing 1/32 out of the boards. I would highly consider buying someone elses thickness planer before this one.

Re: R4330 planer is horrible

I have a TP1300 planer which I am very happy with - great quality of the finished surface, blades lasted a reasonable amount of time before requiring replacement, everything worked beyond expectations. Then, earlier this month, while working on a project for my wife for Christmas, the feed rollers stopped feeding. I pulled it apart and found a stripped gear in the gearbox. Being in a time crunch, I thought that I would buy a new one, as well as order the part to get the old one repaired. The TP1300 has performed well an several thousand BF of hardwood - oak, cherry, maple, etc... I went down to Home Depot and bought the R4330 - thinking three blades - they have improved what was a great tool!

I get it home and set up, and I am very disappointed in the R4330. I can't seem to stop the bad snipe that it gives me (never had that issue with the TP1300), there is no way to lock the depth adjustment, and it seems to make more noise than the 1300. One area where I think that they did improve the planer is with dust collection - the new system seems to be a bit more efficient. As soon as get the replacement gearbox for the TP1300, I'll be putting the R4330 up for sale....

Comment

Just purchased the ridgid 4330 January 2, 2009, ready to return it, pack it up. Blades dulled in very few uses. Turned blades not too long ago and they are already dull. Just planing a little cedar. Oh by the way you can get replacement blades at erplacementparts.com for $22+. Oh yeah, blades sold separately.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I WAS thinking about purchasing the 4330 but now will consider a delta instead

Comment

I had the very same issues with mine, I had to replace the belt, within the first week!!! Fortunately ( sort of ) someone broke in my tool trailer and stole it. A good excuse to buy another brand. Normally I love my Ridgid stuff but that was a huge let down.

Comment

I have the same feeding problems with my 1300. Stock feeds in spurts, sometimes w/ no problems, especially after cleaning( that's a real joy ), sometimes can't seem to get anything to feed.

Does this sound like the problems you had w/ the stripped gear?

Do you know of an aesy way to clean rollers?

Thanks for any help you can give

Comment

This planer is terrible. I have had mine since May and have tried in vain to get a refund. When I try to plane more than 1/32" on even a board of white pine, the cutterhead moves up. You can literally watch the depth adjustment knob rotate backwards. The knives dull incredibly fast and for some bizarre reason, are not stocked in any of the local HD stores, only the blades on the model discontinued 2 years ago are stocked. I had to pay $70 for replacement blades from ereplacements.com.

If anybody is listening, I want my money back!

Comment

Your unfortunate experiences withe 4330 are strange as this planner has excellent reviews and I have on and I am delighted with it.
                Bert

Comment

Originally posted by carpenterfish View Post
                  This planer is terrible. I have had mine since May and have tried in vain to get a refund. When I try to plane more than 1/32" on even a board of white pine, the cutterhead moves up. You can literally watch the depth adjustment knob rotate backwards. The knives dull incredibly fast and for some bizarre reason, are not stocked in any of the local HD stores, only the blades on the model discontinued 2 years ago are stocked. I had to pay $70 for replacement blades from ereplacements.com.

If anybody is listening, I want my money back!

We must not be speaking about the same things.
                  I live in SLC , there are 3 HD and all 3 store the blades , they go for about 29.99 for a set of 3.
                  Bert

Comment

I also have the R4330 and I am very happy with it. I planed a bunch of purple heart with it followed by a lot of cedar. Never had a feed problem and still have not had to clean the rollers. Purple heart is very hard on cutting tools, but my 4330 still does a good job.
                    Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
                    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

I've had R4330 for over a year now. Still using the same side of the original bleades after about 600bf of cherry, walnut and white oak.

One problem I found is the dept crank wheel with time will wobble and change the planing height if the position of the crank handle is anywhere between North and South. To eliminate this I use a piece of masking tape. That keeps the wheel (and the cutter height) in place.
                      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shadow View Post
                        Thanks for the post. I WAS thinking about purchasing the 4330 but now will consider a delta instead
                        The DeWalt DW735 has been one of the top two or three planners for years now. I have had mine for 5 years and its a great machine. A recent review of 11 models by Wood Magazine again put it on top. It is the most expensive of the bunch, but it does outperform the others.

In that article they mentioned that Delta is coming out with a new model planer so you might want to check into that. But beware, if they go the same route they did with their 14" bandsaw (dropping the Delta model and replacing it with one labeled as Porter-Cable, the "new and improved" tool may be a downgrade. See my post on the Delta/PC bandsaws.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i have the same planer and so far its been a great machine..i do have a broken belt and trying to get it put back one any help would be great on how to put it on...thanks steve

Comment

I have the R4330 and am very disappointed. The head moves down on it's own when the paner is running and just will not stay put. I'm told by Ridgid that there is a washer and spring fix and a service bulliten but I'm told that I cannot obtain the parts myself. The only service shop within a hundred miles of me appears to be out of business and Ridgid had no more luck than I did when they attempted to contact them. The snipe is horrible regardless of table adjustments and any lifting or holding down I do in feeding the boards. I'm really sorry I purchased this mostly worthless "tool". Overall my experience with Ridgid is a big AVOID their products like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              The DeWalt DW735 has been one of the top two or three planners for years now. I have had mine for 5 years and its a great machine. A recent review of 11 models by Wood Magazine again put it on top. It is the most expensive of the bunch, but it does outperform the others.

In that article they mentioned that Delta is coming out with a new model planer so you might want to check into that. But beware, if they go the same route they did with their 14" bandsaw (dropping the Delta model and replacing it with one labeled as Porter-Cable, the "new and improved" tool may be a downgrade. See my post on the Delta/PC bandsaws.
                              FWIW, I have a Delta 22-580. That's the older model, not the new one. It's a very disappointing machine. After living with it for years, I lnow the machine well enough to finesse a decent result, but it takes time, work and a lot of maintenance honing blades (they don't stay sharp long and are quite pricey to replace). Tools are supposed to make the job go easier... the Delta doesn't. Personally I wouldn't reward Delta for by purchasing another planer from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X