BS1400 Bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 Bandsaw

A month ago I purchased a new BS1400 bandsaw from the big orange box. I was very happy with the price. The saw seemed relatively easy to assemble and dial in. There was and still is some minor vibration, not bad though. I believe the vibration is mostly due to the v-belt which comes folded in half in the packaging.

Now before I go further let me explain my shop... I have the worlds smallest shop. My shop is 6 x 10, and I've got a lot in there. I had to bring the parts into the shop piece by piece to assemble it in the shop.

So, last night I went out to use the saw only find out it won't start. I found that the upper casting that controls blade tension and pitch broke. I was able to get the part that broke out. The casting was nearly hollow, no wonder it broke. So I call the Ridgid warranty hotline. "I'd like to get a warranty part for my bandsaw." "You need to take it to a certified warranty center." Closest one 20+ miles. So how much in gas is that? I am going to have to disassemble the saw just to get it out of the shop?! If I am going to disassemble the saw, it's going to be so I can fix it. So after sitting here fuming for a bit. I called them back and ordered the part. I'll be replacing it myself. This is probably going to void the warranty. Had I known how un-user friendly their warranty is, I wouldn't have bought the saw. Looking through the forum here I'm not the only one. I wonder if any Ridgid staff looks through these forums. I'm not finding much praise in here.

Will I be buying any more Ridgid products? Not likely...

Moral of the story, do lot's of homework before you buy. I thought I did. Obviously not enough...

Chris

Re: BS1400 Bandsaw

It's too bad you had the problem with your new band saw. If it would have been me, I'd have just taken the saw back to HD and gotten a new one. I also wouldn't have bothered to disassemble it either. On the other hand, to be fair to Ridgid, not that many companies will send out free parts just on the word of the consumer that the part in question is defective.
    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    ------- Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinor View Post
      Will I be buying any more Ridgid products? Not likely...

why? because of one issue that was resoled fairly quickly, that could have happened with any other company as well.

Moral of the story, do lot's of homework before you buy. I thought I did. Obviously not enough...

very true and if you would have reserched here you would have found that a lot of poeple have an issue with the bs1400, that sadly is ridgids lemon in the basket. but there table saws are very highly rated as are there planers, jointer, drill, presses, ect......

Chris

the moral of my story is ......... welcome to the group but because you had a problem though agarvating is not worth abadoning a company over. had you bought a new car and came out the next moring to a flat tire would you never buy from them again? there is alot to learn here and stuff keeps coming in every day, besides where else can you come bash a company that runs this fourm and not get banned or ignored, hummmmmm. lol good now that you are now back in a good mood again check out the rest of the forum. but stay away from the plumbers section .......... you know how those guys can be
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        It's too bad you had the problem with your new band saw. If it would have been me, I'd have just taken the saw back to HD and gotten a new one. I also wouldn't have bothered to disassemble it either. On the other hand, to be fair to Ridgid, not that many companies will send out free parts just on the word of the consumer that the part in question is defective.
        As I read it, I don't think he got it for free. If it were me I would have returned it in that case. For OWT it would definitely be cheaper to ship the part for free than to have to deal with a defective return.

Comment

[quote=cpw;146532]As I read it, I don't think he got it for free.quote]

I wasn't saying that he got the part for free. He was bashing them for NOT sending out a free part on his word alone. All I was saying was that it wasn't fair to bash RIDGID for not doing that when not that many companies would send out free parts based solely on the customers claim that the part in question is defective.
          Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
          ------- Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            He was bashing them for NOT sending out a free part on his word alone. All I was saying was that it wasn't fair to bash RIDGID for not doing that when not that many companies would send out free parts based solely on the customers claim that the part in question is defective.

I work for a woodworking retail store, and on a weekly basis we order warranty parts for Porter Cable, Delta, Dewalt, and JET. With these warranties we only require the model #, Serial #, and the part #. Rarely.... like 1 out of a 100 orders or less, do we ever have disputes. The only time we need the tool in hand is on small hand tools, such as routers, screw guns, etc... We never ask customers to bring in their stationary power tools. Why didn't I buy one of our badsaws? Money... I guess I'm just used to a higher standard of customer service.

Comment

[quote=BadgerDave;146541]
              Originally posted by cpw View Post
              As I read it, I don't think he got it for free.quote]

I wasn't saying that he got the part for free. He was bashing them for NOT sending out a free part on his word alone. All I was saying was that it wasn't fair to bash RIDGID for not doing that when not that many companies would send out free parts based solely on the customers claim that the part in question is defective.
              Why in the world wouldn't they send out the part based on his word alone? What could his scam be? Is he slowly requesting parts so he can build himself another saw on the sly? Not likely.

These companies need to apply a little common sense to situations like this. The costs of actual scams for replacement parts has to be much less than the cost of customers getting ticked off and never buying another Ridgid tool again.

Comment

Working...
              X