X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Review----> Bad!!!!!!!!

I DO NOT LIKE THIS SAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just bought this new Ridgid job-site table saw and after using it for three days, i find that I hate it. I am a professional Hardwood Flooring Installer and I use my saw EVERY day. I have just replaced my Bosch table saw with this one and it is a poor replacement.
    My Issues:
    This fence is bad. It was what attracted my attention in the first place, but that was a mistake. It is too heavy, it FLEXES when it is locked down, by day 2 it was showing SIGNIFICANT run-out and there is no easy place to stick it when not needed. The latches hold it securely during transport, but they are too hard to use quickly and I keep pinching my thumb between it and the table because of the motion used to remove it. Also, what's with the crappy hex head bolts exposed on the face of it????? The fence latch area thingy should also present a parallel line to the front edge of the fence to facilitate plunge cuts, not this weird angle it has. The only thing I did like is the micro adjustable thumb wheel thing but by day 3 it no longer seemed to be getting any traction, it was just skidding under my thumb. The fence also lacks any robustness: the little low-friction plastic guides the serve to keep it square to the table are TINY with little bendy tabs sticking out. How long before these are broken???? In my life, i give it about a week. (Beware the posts discussing fence issues and customer service posted elsewhere here, my fence didn't seem to be un-square,not visually anyways, but that flex i see has me worried)

the table ain't great neither: I do a lot a free hand cuts and I find that the handle(?) thing formed into the left side of the table edge throws me off, causing these cuts to wobble( i know... no free hand cuts allowed) Never the less, I do alot of 'em and this feature doesn't help.

The throat plate needs a screw driver to remove a screw to allow me to change the blade! One more thing to go find.... My Bosch has a pressure clip and in 4 years this has never proven to be an issue, safety or otherwise, except as a convenience.

In the same vein: two (TWO!) wrenches are required to change the blade. I took it for granted that most manufacturers had a built in shaft holder which would then only require one wrench. A small thing but.....

In the past, the good quality cabinet saws I have worked with all had a t-slot miter gauge. I thought that my Bosch table saw was lacking in this because it doesn't have the T slot. That was a misperception. I find that the ability to drop the mitre gauge into the slot anywhere along its length is a very convenient feature. So my first thought at seeing the Ridgid's T- slot mitre was that it was a benefit but this hasn't proven to be the case. Also, it catches on the pull back when the T comes back into the rear opening of the slot. another small annoyance.

Mitre storage on this saw is also an issue for me. Again, storage is secure during storage but impossible to access easily or quickly during the course of work. So I find it poking out with just the tip of the gauge jammed onto the clip waiting to fall out (onto my hardwood floor like as not.)(never mind who wants to drop their mitre gauge in the first place)

wow, this could go on for ever........... a quick list of deficiencies or design flaws i see:

-Cant' operate switch very easily, got to find a little hole to stick my finger into. Should be a large paddle. I don't want my eyes to be on the switch when i turn it on, i want my eyes looking at the table top.
    -Tape measure won't lost long. Is it actually just wrapped and held with a spring?
    -what's with the large wing thingys (i guess they're called the fence rail)sticking past the sides across front edge of the table? Not used to seeing two of 'em. Without the left one, I could quickly put my fence onto the stand for quick storage. I'd rather sacrifice the cut width on the left than have that rail stick out so far on both sides.
    -Don't like the hole in the middle of the table where the latch for table width adjustment is. My saw often does double duty as a work surface and I find this hole annoying.
    -no indicator marks were accurately set. I had to change the bevel degree markings to 0
    -Too big to fit well into my truck. This set up is huge!

In It's favour:
    It's a pretty colour.
    I like the Vehicle it comes with. Operates smoothly, wheels well and fits width-wise through most doorways.
    motor seems strong (but not smooth) It has developed a weird ( and scary) "thunk" at start up occasionally though.

Do not buy this saw as a work horse. Good for Joe Homeowner ( except for the fence issues), maybe..... but not for the professional.

Re: Table Saw Review----> Bad!!!!!!!!

Wow, you must be really mad to post a review in someone else's thread then copy and paste it again in a new thread. On top of that you only have two posts.

You state you are a professional. One thing a professional person who works with tools knows, is tools & what to look for.

Did you even see this saw before you bought it? A good portion of the things you complained about should have been obvious in the display model.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Just which saw is it that you're bashing? In the thread about the 3650, you make it sound like that is the saw you don't like. Then, in this thread you describe the saw as the "Ridgid job-site table saw" which is not the 3650. If you don't like the saw you have then that's fine but for the sake of those who may read your post in the future I think you should edit one of them to make it completely clear which saw you're talking about. Actually, if you're not talking about the 3650 you should delete your response in that thread.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

wdwrx,

Somewhat surprising given the reviews I've heard from other professionals which were much more positive. However, your opinion is important to us and I've passed the feedback on to the product manager for consideration as he looks at product improvement and development. Thanks for your post.

Comment

I have used this saw for several years in remodeling and really like it. It has not failed me. As with anything there are some small anoyances, but it does it's intended job - accurately and without breaking after several years of use and all of the bumps, etc. a portable saw goes through on the jobsite and on the truck. I would buy another one (and did for my brother at thanksgiving time last year) without question.

Comment

I agree with you about the power switch. It should be a paddle

If you don't like the t-track for the miter gauge it is pretty easy to just convert it to a regular one by taking the washer off the end. You can then drop it into the slot at any point. At least this is how I remember by 3650's miter gauge and the TS2400's parts diagram seems to confirm.

Comment

My Q is if the Bosch treated you so good why are you now 'suffering' with the RIDGID saw? Maybe you should go back to what you know works for you.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

What a total piece of junk!!!!!
                Not even worth taking back and who in good conscience could
                sell this saw another fellow woodworker!

I'll take it off your hands and won't even charge you a dime for it,
                providing you pay the shipping!

The least ......I could do to help end your misery!

I do agree about the switch though.
                Last edited by Davet; 07-04-2008, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  I agree with you about the power switch. It should be a paddle

If you don't like the t-track for the miter gauge it is pretty easy to just convert it to a regular one by taking the washer off the end. You can then drop it into the slot at any point. At least this is how I remember by 3650's miter gauge and the TS2400's parts diagram seems to confirm.
                  Yes ..... you can also remove the washer on the ts2400

Comment

WOW! wdwrx, you certainly want it ALL. I am a professional carperter who does everything from rough framing, to any phase of finish work who purchased the Ridgid TS2400 several years ago. I LOVE this saw. When I purchased it, I read the reviews on all the "job site" saws. The Ridgid and Bosch were the 2 top rated saws. The Bosch was given a nod for having a little more power, while the Ridgid was praised as having the best fence by far. There is a tension adjuster on the back side of the fence, which I've never had a problem with mine flexing and it's always locked down square. By the way, you say the fence is too heavy and later you say it lacks robustness. Umm, okay. Contradicting? Sounds like it to me. If the fence rail didn't stick out on each side of the table, you couldn't utilize the entire table surface. I personally like the storage for the fence. It holds the fence very securely and I'll work a bit getting it out before I'd sacrifice the secureness. The tape measure thingy built in, I have yet to ever look at one since I measure with my tape, but I will agree it is not accurate or durable (still, mine is still intact). Two wrenches to change the blade, now you're just reaching for things to complain about (at least you can store them on the cabinet). The only thing that's "quite odd" to me is the switch. I often find myself feeling for it which can be a bit dangerous. All in all, I would buy this saw again without hesitation and would recommend it to anyone in the trade. Next time, you may really want to look into a product better before you buy it. You seem to be taking your "personal preferences" out on a product that has received a great deal of praise by many other "professionals".
                    You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

I've used the TS2400 for several years now and love it. I can't honestly complain about anything on it. I suppose there could be some improvements, but it has done everything I've asked it to do.

Comment

WDWRX must have a Skil saw and just can't read! Never understand why people find they need to sign up on a site and bash thier product just because they don't have one.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I got tired of reading the OP after about half way, the only thing I could tell that he was griping about, that effected the saw workability, was the fence. Some people get so use to a certain tool/equipment, its hard for them to comprehend that the switch/screw/hanger/markings on another tool is an 1" away or a different style, know what I mean. Bob D says it all, right here, [My Q is if the Bosch treated you so good why are you now 'suffering' with the RIDGID saw? Maybe you should go back to what you know works for you.] yep, you might as well go back to your old brand....
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

WDWRX Send that saw to me. I'll pay the shiping and a few bucks for your trouble.!
                            Last edited by bob bridgewater; 12-21-2008, 05:26 AM.
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                            Be safe out there folks
                            Bob B
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Originally posted by wdwrx View Post
                              This fence is bad. It was what attracted my attention in the first place, but that was a mistake. It is too heavy...
                              maybe you should hit the weights

Comment

Working...
                              X