35S Stainless Steel Tubing Cutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35S Stainless Steel Tubing Cutter

I like that RIDGID has come out with a cutter designed specifically for SS tubing. The standard cutter wheels I remember used to dull too fast on SS. I used to run a lot of 304 and 316 .065" wall SS in 1/4. 3/8, and 1/2" and the cutters did not last very long. I would go through 4 or 5 wheels a week. There was a thin wheel which held up better but they broke easy of you were not careful.

Other brands of cutters we tried were not much better as I remember.

What material are the rollers on this cutter made from? For some jobs CS can not even come in contact with the SS, lust like a CS wire brush should not be used when welding SS.

I think it would be good to provide some additional photos on the product page showing some of the improvements. This would probably answer the questions I (and others) have.

I'd also like to see an IMP version designed for SS. Many times working on control cabinets there is little room to swing a full size cutter such as the 35S.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: 35S Stainless Steel Tubing Cutter

Well! as you know, that cutter is handy to have in your kit when out at a job, but I wouldn't count on it for heavy workshop use, or larger jobs. Even a specific circular, or better, a band saw for metal, has to work hard cutting Stainless. All Stainless cutting must go slow, lots of cooling oil, & well maintained, sharp tools. Even a drill bit must be "set" differently for SS. Avoid trying to wear through, instead of visibly cutting. This results in almost instantaneous work hardening, which can be problematic.

Comment

Working...
    X