X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35S Stainless Steel Tubing Cutter

I like that RIDGID has come out with a cutter designed specifically for SS tubing. The standard cutter wheels I remember used to dull too fast on SS. I used to run a lot of 304 and 316 .065" wall SS in 1/4. 3/8, and 1/2" and the cutters did not last very long. I would go through 4 or 5 wheels a week. There was a thin wheel which held up better but they broke easy of you were not careful.

Other brands of cutters we tried were not much better as I remember.

What material are the rollers on this cutter made from? For some jobs CS can not even come in contact with the SS, lust like a CS wire brush should not be used when welding SS.

I think it would be good to provide some additional photos on the product page showing some of the improvements. This would probably answer the questions I (and others) have.

I'd also like to see an IMP version designed for SS. Many times working on control cabinets there is little room to swing a full size cutter such as the 35S.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: 35S Stainless Steel Tubing Cutter

Well! as you know, that cutter is handy to have in your kit when out at a job, but I wouldn't count on it for heavy workshop use, or larger jobs. Even a specific circular, or better, a band saw for metal, has to work hard cutting Stainless. All Stainless cutting must go slow, lots of cooling oil, & well maintained, sharp tools. Even a drill bit must be "set" differently for SS. Avoid trying to wear through, instead of visibly cutting. This results in almost instantaneous work hardening, which can be problematic.

Comment

Working...
    X