18v lithium-ion battery pack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v lithium-ion battery pack

Purchased in April 2008 did not actuallly use it for anything until June 08,
    6 to 10 screws later 1st battery pack just quit , put it on the charger and let it fully charge and still after aprox 10 to 15 min intermittent usage kaput ! . Took the pack back to Home Depot to enquire about replacement , and one of there floor salesmen gave me one of the display packs that he said he had been using for about a month. I did'nt care if it was brand new, just that it works . So its now september, as I said I only use the drill infrequently, and I have another project to work on , approx 3 hrs into project again with intermittent use one of my packs quits on me again so I put it back on the charger and everything seems hunky dory For now.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue with the new lithium-ion battery packs ?
    Last edited by davmhai; 09-28-2008, 08:05 PM.

Re: 18v lithium-ion battery pack

What battery charger are you using?
    Is this a lithium ion drill kit?
    More details please.

I have three Lithium Ion batteries and not a
    single challenge with them. I am using the specific lithium ion
    ridgid battery charger [the single bay with the lithium ion decal]

I have used the batteries with the 18/24v impact driver and run time has been excellent

Cactus Man

Comment

Re: 18v lithium-ion battery pack

Originally posted by davmhai View Post
      Purchased in April 2008 did not actuallly use it for anything until June 08,
      6 to 10 screws later 1st battery pack just quit , put it on the charger and let it fully charge and still after aprox 10 to 15 min intermittent usage kaput ! . Took the pack back to Home Depot to enquire about replacement , and one of there floor salesmen gave me one of the display packs that he said he had been using for about a month. I did'nt care if it was brand new, just that it works . So its now september, as I said I only use the drill infrequently, and I have another project to work on , approx 3 hrs into project again with intermittent use one of my packs quits on me again so I put it back on the charger and everything seems hunky dory For now.
      Has anyone else experienced this issue with the new lithium-ion battery packs ?
      OK, we have two issue's. The original set and the replacement. I assume you purchased a drill with two batteries and a charger? Are they 1.5Ah or 3Ah batteries?
      The original set.........
      1-Purchased in April, problem in June-You state the 1st battery malfunctioned. Did the other battery work OK? Did the salesman just replace the battery or the entire set? If it was less than 90 days from the purchase you could have and should have required Home Depot to replace the entire set under the 90 day satisfaction guarantee policy. I say should have had the entire set replaced because at times, what seems to be a battery issue is actually a defective charger or a defective tool that is causing the battery to discharge or not charge properly.
      2-I hope you registered the tools for the Lifetime service agreement and registered the replacement that the salesman gave you.

The replacement set or battery.......
      So its now september, as I said I only use the drill infrequently, and I have another project to work on , approx 3 hrs into project again with intermittent use one of my packs quits on me again so I put it back on the charger and everything seems hunky dory For now.
      1-Depending how often the battery had been charged over the three months and how many holes you drilled and/or screws were driven during the 3hrs worked I wouldn't necessarily be surprised that the battery might be discharged. Despite claims to the contrary Ridgid lithium ion batteries do self discharge over time. We use both 18V LI and 24V LI batts at our company and have noted both batteries will discharge on the shelf.
      2-You state that after charging the battery "everthing was hunky dory". It sounds like you probably don't have a problem now. The battery may have been partially discharged from self discharge over time and then was completey discharged from the work during your project.
      Does my scenario sound reasonable? Try doing some more work to determine if the battery is functioning properly. Recently I locked down the trigger on a 18V 1.5Ah LI battery in a impact tool and I believe it ran under no load for around 15-20 minutes. Try yours.
      I hope this has been helpful. Post back if you have further questions or information. Let us know how things work out.....Ray

Comment

Working...
      X