X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wd4050 vs wd4070 4 gal wet/dry vac

home depot website canada carries both these models. the newer wd4070 does not use the diffuser/muffler, has a different ball float, and includes wheels, extension wand and utility nozzle that were not included in the wd4050. they are selling for the same price, $100.00. has anyone had a chance to compare these two for noise and suction. i could only find a parts list for the wd4070 on the ridgid website, nothing about changes or improvements.

Re: wd4050 vs wd4070 4 gal wet/dry vac

The WD4050 was recently marked down $39US. The only visible changes versus the WD4070 appeared to be the wheels. They both state the same HP, capacity and warranty. At $39 the choice was EZ for me as a small powerful relatively quiet shop vac. The WD4050 have small holes on the bottom possibly for optional wheels. The design of these w/d vacs allow the use of dry pickup dust bags.
    Last edited by reConx; 10-30-2008, 12:23 AM.

Comment

ok, i will answer my own question. i had to buy the wd4070 after going to two home depot stores and finding no wd4050 and only one wd4070. i have previous experience with the wd4050. the wd4070 has a different shaped float for water pickup inside the filter cage, has wheels, a 2 piece extension wand, a utility nozzle, no diffuser/muffler, accessory/storage compartment. performance and noise are similiar if you compare it to the wd4050 with diffuser/muffler removed. has very good suction and takes up little space. both units have stiff on/off switches. so far i am happy with it.

Comment

I bought this vac, because of nice shape and good power.
        Recently it stopped working, but I'm handy and was able to fix loose wire to the carbon brushes.
        However I was shocked by the poor design. I had to take apart every screw and even disassemble the motor. I never seen such a idiotic design and nearly impossible disassembly. After I fixed the faulty connection, the vac ran for a while and then I smelled something. Again a long disassembly and what do I find? The rotor has one segment where brushes contact, missing. I need a new rotor!
        Should I even try to find the part?
        Such a engineering is truly insulting and I will never buy product with this name.
        I think Ridgid should stay with hand tools.
        Last edited by Vodnik007; 06-20-2009, 07:59 PM. Reason: New problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Vodnik007 View Post
          I bought this vac, because of nice shape and good power.
          Recently it stopped working, but I'm handy and was able to fix loose wire to the carbon brushes.
          However I was shocked by the poor design. I had to take apart every screw and even disassemble the motor. I never seen such a idiotic design and nearly impossible disassembly. After I fixed the faulty connection, the vac ran for a while and then I smelled something. Again a long disassembly and what do I find? The rotor has one segment where brushes contact, missing. I need a new rotor!
          Should I even try to find the part?
          Such a engineering is truly insulting and I will never buy product with this name.
          I think Ridgid should stay with hand tools.
          Which Model?

Comment

Model wd4050
            Besides the dumb engineering, I'm shocked, that the rotor part fell apart.
            http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/BB40976...lon_Vac_3C.jpg

Comment

Seems odd, maybe a manuf. defect. Mine works well and is several years old. Much better than the "stinger" vac. also made by emerson.

Comment

With respect....
                Today is a world of disposal If it's broken, buy a new one.
                More times than not, the work time and cost of a replacement part is more than what a
                new unit sells for.
                For example: I had a Hamilton Beach/Proctor Silex espresso machine. The pump quit working.
                I had to use the triangular tamper-proof bit to remove the tamper-proof screws. The device has "hidden screws". Once the unit was opened I recognized the defective part. The company does not provide/offer any replacement parts what so ever! "non consumer serviceable" is stamped on the bottom of the unit!

I ended up buying a new unit for $65.00 with a 2 year warranty.

Today I'd say 85+% of stuff we buy is designed not to be repaired.
                Now, the tree huggers are whining because we use two-ply toilet paper but they don't even squeak when they see all the tools and appliances that are no longer user serviceable and are tossed into the land fills.

I can't remember when I saw a mom and pop appliance repair business here in Phoenix metro! In fact a store that sold a myriad of replacement parts from dryer pulleys to lint screens closed up as they could not make it in a throw away society.

With everything thing made in china [here I go again] They never offer replacement parts.
                Or if you can find a part it's not available or back-ordered for 6 months because no one maintains an inventory any longer..It's simply too expensive!

Cactus Man

Comment

Could not agree more. There is a huge waste in say the car dumping by the govnt. What , no environmental impact to destroying cars that run, and then the cost of the new car more debt, more industrial waste. The got to get the latest Iphone or whatever crowd , waiting in line for hours for an item that in a year will be tossed for the next gen. No common sense at all. You used to be able to get parts to fix just about anything, now there are assemblies only many times tossing the entire thing when some times just a minor cheap item is needed.

Comment

I bought a WD4070 from Home Depot and it works fine. However, there was no manual in the box, and there is none posted on the Ridgid web site. Anybody know how I can get one?

Comment

Degmesser: Same thing happened to me--no manual. I just phoned HomeDepot and the guy told me to open the vacuum itself (not just the carton) and look inside. The manual was there, inside. What a crazy place to put it! What if I had simply started it up and wrecked the manual with a water pick-up? Also, in order to open the vacuum dust container, you have to push down on the side handles first, then flip them outwards from the bottom. If you don't push down, the handles won't open! Hope you find the manual!

Comment

No manual in the box or Ridgid Website. WTF!!! I want to remove filter without damaging the unit and I risk breaking it because I don't know how to do it. It doesn't have a screw off design. Now its a nob holding the filter in place. Do I pull it off, twist, Get a screwdriver and pry it off? What is Ridgid thinking not having a manual with this unit?

Comment

The manuals for the units are available online at www.ridgidparts.com if you simply click on the wet dry vac label on the left it will bring up a listing of all the model numbers. Simply click on your model number then you should see a red box that says "PDF Get owner's manual"

As for how to remove the new filters, they are a qwik lock design. The rubbery filter plate simply pops off over the qwik lock stud. Simply grab the filter by the tabs, put your thumbs in the middle on the stud and lift up on the tabs. The filter should release and slide up off the cage.

Comment

Working...
                          X