X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 Bandsaw

Previously I posted a review of the BS1400 after three years of ownership. As previously mentioned, I was pretty satisfied with it's performance, but realized it needed a good overhaul. Vibration was the biggest problem and I have solved that problem. To begin, I replaced the rubber bands with urethane ones. I balanced the wheels, replaced the lower blade guides with "cool blocks" and relocated the motor to a spot directly below the saw. The motor pulley now lines up with the saw pulley in a straight vertical line. All of this reduced the vibration to nil. One last change will be to replace the vee belt with a link belt. I kept the band rollers on the upper guide only and use the "cool blocks" on the lower guide. I set the fence parallel to the blade and did a resaw. It tracked perfectly without any drift. The thickness of the piece was only out .002" from one end to the other. The total cost to refurb the saw was less than $70 and it performs as good as a saw costing 3x more.
    A hint to balancing wheels: I got some egg shaped lead sinkers, filed a flat on one side and adhered it to the wheel with double stick tape. I took progressive amounts of lead from the sinker with a file until balance was achieved. I then removed the tape and adhered the sinker to the wheel with CA glue.
    Overall, the quality of this bandsaw is pretty good. As long as the major components like frame, table, wheels and motor are good, an inexpensive saw with some tweaking can become a great saw for very little money.

Re: BS1400 Bandsaw

Do you have any pictures of how you moved the motor under the saw?

Comment

Like bsherman, I'm hoping ronseto can post a few pictures of mounting the motor underneath the bandsaw - I'm trying to deal with the vibration issues I have with my BS14002 as well, and this sounds like a great idea.

Comment

There are a lot of things that can contribute to the vibration and I won't try to duplicate all these things from other posts.

The vibration I had was like an inconsistent throbbing. (It would be OK for a 20 seconds, then shake for 20, and repeat.)

What worked for me was truing the tires with a sandpaper block. (My wheels were out of round.)

Comment

Working...
        X