Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAWHORSE OK it's not a Ridgid tool.....

OK, this is not a Ridgid tool! For the benefit of the reading audience this is an excellent addition to any shop or work site. Oh, I do not work for Rockwell or have anything to do with the JAWHORSE product line. I'm simply a weekend warrior who tries to get the best product for the buck!

Well I bit the bullet and via amazon.com I purchased the JAWHORSE and the RK9109 plywood jaw.

Free shipping and no sales tax so I just did my part to help the economy.

Out of the box the JAWHORSE is ready to go..almost. You have to remove the cardboard protectors and two cable ties.
    Set up is very simple and this thing is STRONG! The only plastic is the lock switch. I think the thing is powder coated instead of enamel paint.

It is built very well and its design is simply excellent!

The truth is the only optional accessory you should need is the plywood jaw RK9109.
    You should be able to simply make your own specific tool jigs and work tops.

I won't bore you with its versatility, I'll simply suggest you Google JAWHORSE and watch the infomercial.

I'm already making my list of projects to do that this thing will make easier.

One complaint...The owner's manual is simply awful! I am an American that speaks English!
    so if you ship product to the USA why bother with French and Spanish! Americans speak English! or at least should have English as their primary language!

Instructions are just plain poor....Hey Rockwell you need some American English speaking technical writers and illustrators!!! Ridgid tool owner's manuals are excellent!

Yes the JAWHORSE is a very easy device to operate but never the less the owner's manual should be written better! Maybe even increase the type size for us aging Woodstocker's too?

Cactus Man
    Last edited by cactusman; 04-21-2009, 12:27 PM.

Re: JAWHORSE OK it's not a Ridgid tool.....

WOW! not a single comment! Neither pro or con or even a snide remark!!

I have used my JAWHORSE now a number of times, so I'll add a few additional comments to my original post.

Storage for this tool is great. It folds down to a small package compared to similar sized saw horses.

The thing is indeed heavy! and can be a bit awkward to set up. Once set up, however, it's
    solid and will support or secure almost everything you ask it to do. You have two options in transporting the unit; you can drag it using the third leg and the roller, or you can secure the third leg and simply carry it. Too bad they did not come up with some sort of other uses for that roller.

The plywood extension accessory is good too and yes it's also heavy. There should be some sort of clamp or "spot" to allow you to secure the two extension clips when not using them..otherwise they may easily be misplaced. I am using a piece of 2x3 and have the two clamps secured to it. Then the whole thing can be hung/placed over the extension.

The "third leg" can be a bit awkward. The plastic knob to secure the leg position seems to be sized wrong. Now maybe they did that on purpose to keep it from being overtightened. But the grip of the just seems to be poor and a better knob design would be welcomed.

Since I usually only work on a level ground I really can't discuss how well it accommodates
    being used in areas where the ground is not level.

Yeah, the manual is still poor!

Cactus Man
    Last edited by cactusman; 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I just bought one of these...very good review cactusman.
      Since I prefer to work alone this is that extra set of hands that I sometimes need.So far I have the plywood extension and just ordered the welding jig.But you a correct ,a guy can make the rest.

Comment

Very interested in this but have a few questions. Is it stong enough to withstand banging from a hammer? Would a vise be strong enough to hold a pipe while it's being threaded with the right V jaws?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Very interested in this but have a few questions. Is it stong enough to withstand banging from a hammer? Would a vise be strong enough to hold a pipe while it's being threaded with the right V jaws?
          A hammer yes,a sledge no.
          Depends on how big of pipe you want to thread.
          Trust me this thing is very well made,not a china imitation.

Comment

ben the original jaws are rubber padded with a couple v groves.

i haven't tried but i doubt it. anything beyond 1/2'' or 3/4'' would definatly slip.

since when did you start threading pipe

can't beat the ridgid tristand

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have some extra V jaws and thought if I put them in some clamping jaws it would work. My tristand takes up way too much space. Thinking of selling it along with my big pipe cutters.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
              X