Vcauums can cause a fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vcauums can cause a fire

My son-in-law bought a 4 gallon Rigid wet dry vac. He cleaned the carpet in his truck and sucked out the water with his wet dry vac. He then unplugged it and left it in the garage. Later that same afternoon the wet dry vac caught fire and nearly burned the garage down. The fire department said that the water and cleaning product became combustable inside the wet dry vac and caused the fire. Shouldn't there be some kind of vent hole to prevent this from happening? My son-in-law and daughter are a young army couple and are struggling just to make ends meet and now they are going to have to pay for damage due to this fire that could have been prevented had there been an air hole to allow air to circulate. He will never buy a Rigid tool again.

Re: Vcauums can cause a fire

He will never buy a Rigid tool again.
    Curious, what product were they using to clean the vehicle carpet?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Now there is a brilliant idea a vent to the atmosphere in a vacuum chamber - hope you don't teach physics

An obvious oversite on the part of Ridgid, I'm certain no other brand would have caught fire given the same circumstances

What was spilled on the carpet that required cleaning in the first place - moonshine or gasoline perhaps or maybe he used acetone as a cleaning agent. You can not use a vacuum to suck up ANY volatile liquid, the exhaust from the vacuum partially passes through the motor to cool it and that goes by the armature that sparks - BOOM.

The other question that begs to be asked is why you would leave a wet mess in a vacuum to go moldy?

Lucky he didn't make the Darwin awards this year

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post

The other question that begs to be asked is why you would leave a wet mess in a vacuum to go moldy?
        There is the real issue and question. Why didn't he empty the vac promptly after using it. Any contained mess other than clean water can result in spontaneous combustion. Even if you suck up clean water, you need to pour it out and leave the vac open to dry. You need to clean your filter(s) and let them dry.

To everyone: READ the owner's manual before use.

Comment

There's nothing quite like ignorance, is there?

I probably shouldn't make such statements or maybe I should just sort of say it apologetically... but really!

You suck up some volitile chemical, mixing it with other unknown substances that can result in an self-combustable mix... and then you let it set to perculate for awhile... and when the results burn down the garage, you BLAME THE CONTAINER!?

So given that little scenario, I guess you can mix up a similar concoction, place it in your basement and when it burns down the house, you can tell the insurance company that it's the fault of the bucket!

There's nothing quite like ignorance, is there?

CWS

Comment

Have any of you ever raked up some wet grass clippings, put them in a trash can and soon find steam coming out of the trash can? If you don't quickly dump it out, spread the clippings and really wet them down, you'll have your trash can on fire. You can howl all you want to at Mother Nature, but she will be the one laughing at you.

By the way, someone I know didn't empty the bag on his lawnmower only to find the little steel shed in his backyard on fire later that day. This was the result of spontaneous combustion and is why farmers never even dream of bailing wet hey.

Woussko has done plenty of stupid things, but I learned from them and realize that I'm the one needing to be spanked for doing them.
            Last edited by Woussko; 08-02-2009, 11:11 PM. Reason: Strong language was offensive to someone.

Comment

First I am sorry your family has had such a problem and am thankful no one was hurt,

If you look at most shop vacuums and the hose is removed it is a direct hole to the out side of the tank, the exhaust has the filter and some passages that go through the fan and out the motor, if it were not for that construction you would not be able to have air flow through the unit, so in a sense there are "vents" in the vacuum cleaner.

so there is a vent out the hose, and out of the motor vents,

I know one does not want to be told this but I would have to chalk this up to operator error, I do not think it was a manufacturing defect or over site.

I would just be thankful that no one was hurt any one lost there life in the fire,

but thank you for reminding us of the dangers, many of us are aware of the possibly, but may not always be diligent to dump or clean the vacuum out as one should, I know I have been neglectfully in this area.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                You suck up some volitile chemical, mixing it with other unknown substances that can result in an self-combustable mix... and then you let it set to perculate for awhile... and when the results burn down the garage, you BLAME THE CONTAINER!?
                But the container company is the one with the money.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well there's one thing I know for sure will be the norm when I wake up tomorrow morning and pretty much every morning after that........................In America, it's always the other guys fault. Sad but true.
                  ================================================== ====
                  ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannette Williams View Post
                    My son-in-law bought a 4 gallon Rigid wet dry vac. He cleaned the carpet in his truck and sucked out the water with his wet dry vac. He then unplugged it and left it in the garage. Later that same afternoon the wet dry vac caught fire and nearly burned the garage down. The fire department said that the water and cleaning product became combustable inside the wet dry vac and caused the fire. Shouldn't there be some kind of vent hole to prevent this from happening? My son-in-law and daughter are a young army couple and are struggling just to make ends meet and now they are going to have to pay for damage due to this fire that could have been prevented had there been an air hole to allow air to circulate. He will never buy a Rigid tool again.
                    Go away, you lying idiot! I don't understand what jollies you get out of a post like this. If it were true it would show your sons ignorance! Goodbye dumbass.
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Don't hold back anything Dan, tell us how you really feel.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Don't hold back anything Dan, tell us how you really feel.

I don't know if it's just late but I about fell out of my chair when I read that

Yeah it seems a little out there and I agree with you guys that there is no problem with the Ridgid Vac i just got a new one the other day my old one which was purchased at a garage sale finally gave out and I put that thing to work for years. I think it's user error on this one.

Comment

I can't believe there hasn't been at least a couple of "meddling mother-in-law" comments.
                          ================================================== ====
                          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

To the earlier point, thankfully nobody was hurt. The forum passion is a site to see. Think this one has run it's course.

Comment

I have 4 or 5 Ridgid vacs. Never had a problem. I do like others have said. When I do liquids I empty it and leave it open until dry. JUST USE COMMON SENSE! But thats not common anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X