X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 Bandsaw, Buyer beware

This is a well engineered product and works like a hot knife in butter but it has design flaws with its case design. The manufacturing of the iron casting on my unit has poor tooling. New dies need to be remade for production, in order to properly correct the misalignments with screw holes and components. I am convinced that the pre-assembly is actually a camouflaged attempt to disguise the casing design flaws by the manufacture in China and possibly even the importing company is involved with this deception before it reaches the distribution depot in North America. It took me far more time to disassemble and re-assemble because of poor quality control that canceled the now obvious design flaws. Let’s start with, the rubber tracking tire on the bottom wheel was not put fully into its wheel track and are now malformed but useable and will recover to their designed place , I was very fortunate to spot this and corrected it before start up and testing. The widening of the top screw hole of the power switch to the frame was a minor problem to rectify. The V-belt is malformed or badly twisted from packing and causes shimmy every 3/4 of a second, hopefully this will reform itself as it rights itself into the pulleys and can be re-adjusted. The unit I have also suffers from shipping damage to its steal case components, dents, paint peals and a bit of rust formation but is unrelated to the casing design flaws I have mentioned. When this unit is fully righted to the manufactures specifications, the bottom door cannot close and the height of the top guard opening is restricted to a smaller size than advertized dimensions. The upper and lower thrust bearings when placed in their proper settings results in casing housing problems. The bottom pan head set screw that holds the thrust bearing was so tightly put into place by the manufacture that it cannot be removed without damage to it from stripping in place, oddly this was the only fasteners to be that way on the whole machine. I was only able to remove it using a torque driver to free it. The eccentrics and housing bolts both needed righting in order to line up the blade placement to the manual specs. In my opinion, the order of assembly as published in the manual shows the adjustment to the lower thrust bearing as the last step and should actually be the first step in that table/ thrust bearing assemble sequence. The binding of the lower door was minor until I reset the eccentric, now the binding of the door has become a major problem. The door bullet catch in the upper door assembly is barely functioning even after adjusting it to its maxing settings within the U clip. I have taken the time to have a Kodak moment and will attempt to shrink all 10 or so pictures to post in this review. I realize it's under warranty replacement, providing I repackage it and return it to my reseller Home Depot or the service depot. Unfortunately I am disabled and cannot safely lift it to disassemble and return it to the original damaged packaging . It cost me $35 to move it here and 8 hours to assemble it to a usable specifications of its fine engineering. I know that I am not entitled to compensation for my cost or inconveniences according to your warranty remedies. The bandsaw is now properly assembled but needs sheet metal casing modifications in order to safely use it to its advertized specifications. It will look like scat but does work as intended. I’m not very happy with its quality control issues, design flaws and shipping damage but still accept them because of my inability to do otherwise. I guess I will need to find out if I do the sheet metal modifications s to make the door close and the upper thrust bearing rise to its advertized height if it will void the warranty.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blkjack; 10-07-2009, 01:07 PM. Reason: Pictures and end comments

Re: BS1400 Bandsaw, Buyer beware

i too have the same bandsaw for the last couple years

i didn't buy it as a ultra fine wood cutting machine. and i certainly didn't put it under the microscope or magnifying glass.

remember it's a $350 tool for the mass retail market

i.m sure the one that you teach on in shop class is 10 times more expensive.

i remember the first time i used a brand new industrial oscillating spindle/drum sander in high school, it was so off that the 4'' drum wobbled to a point it snapped off. fortunately i didn't get hurt, only the machine.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i too have the same bandsaw for the last couple years

i didn't buy it as a ultra fine wood cutting machine. and i certainly didn't put it under the microscope or magnifying glass.

remember it's a $350 tool for the mass retail market

i.m sure the one that you teach on in shop class is 10 times more expensive.

i remember the first time i used a brand new industrial oscillating spindle/drum sander in high school, it was so off that the 4'' drum wobbled to a point it snapped off. fortunately i didn't get hurt, only the machine.

rick.
      Thanks Rick, here in Canada the Bandsaw has been closer to 500, I just bought it as it was 20% off =$375.00 CND. These flaws certainly don't need a microscope to be seen unless you’re really blind. Hopefully you understood the part about that the Dies screw tap locations will have to be re-made / re-jigged as they are now out of alignment with the components. Heavy mass production tends to do that from time to time. I’m sure you had no intention of being demeaning with your statements; my eyes do not require glass to read or to instruct in our education system in Canada. As for ultra fine wood cutting machine, the quality of engineering in this bandsaw is as good as I have ever seen in use at most training institutions, if not far better than most in the remote areas I have taught in. I realize there are saws costing much more in an industrial unit but from what I have seen and used this saw has excellent engineering but in this case very poor quality control in it manufacturing in China. Hopefully I’ll have time to reduce the image size of the Kodak moments today.
      Last edited by Blkjack; 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I'm just back from my favorite place "Home Depot" and they were not impressed with the bandsaw condition and of course offered to replace or refund it or offer me some additional savings off. I figured since I had all ready had it assembled and tuned up I could live with the bashes it got from shipping and took the cash off. I trimmed the sheet metal on both the upper and lower guards and drilled out the receiving bullet bracket clip, everything works just fine now after the alterations. I did look at the demo saw they had there on display and the manufacturing on it appeared much better than on my unit.
        Last edited by Blkjack; 10-07-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Now that you probably voided the warranty on it?

Comment

WOW! I wonder how many times this band saw bounced when they tossed it off the truck?

Although a simple concept "the band saw" is a very complex tool and requires some serious calibration. This is true with a small bench top band saw like have..a Delta 10" or an expensive professional unit. We all simply take them for granted.

You were very fortunate having Home Depot making it right!

Oh, finally when you write up any more long posts please think about using paragraphs and using a plain font. This is a tough read in its present format.

Cactus Man

Comment

Sorry about the text and lack of paragrafting , I think when I imported the text from word it may have lost the it formating or maybe I was just too tired when I posted and missed it.

Comment

Working...
              X