Warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty

Kind of a Poll I guess. I have the lifetime warranty on my batteries. I had to collect on it and the depot wants your charger and tools so they can thoroughly check. I guess the fact that a few batteries work just fine and one doesn't isn't enough for them to not inconvenience you.

So I live in Canada on Vancouver Island. Guess what, the depot went Kaput and the many Home Depot flogging Ridgid tools are NOT authorized to do a simple battery swap. I am supposed to obtain a passport, get on a ferry to the mainland, drive to the border, cross into Washington State and proceed to the nearest Warranty Depot. This is straight from the Ridgid people.

Who thinks this is even remotely plausible? I can not even imagine anyone buying a Ridgid Tool if they realized they need to do this just for a battery warranty.

What say ye?
    Last edited by Canucklehead; 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Warranty

Yet one more person who has not bothered to read the terms of the LLSA.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

And what part pray tell dear knowledgeable one, was missed?

Comment

Originally posted by Canucklehead View Post
        And what part pray tell dear knowledgeable one, was missed?
        The part where it tells you to contact a Ridgid authorised service center for service. You obtain a list of those by going to the bottom of this page and following the Ridge Tool Co. thread. It does NOT tell you to contact Home Depot just as you woud not contact Home Depot for service on a Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, et all.....Ray
        PS-There is a service center listed for Vancuver Island. No worries mate!
        Last edited by roadrashray; 10-14-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Just buy one of the other brands that DOES do a battery swap for you.

Shouldn't be hard.

Comment

can't you just mail the tools to a service center?

i know that you'll be without the tools for a period of time. hopefully you have a backup.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Well Ray, did you happen to read my post? The depot that WAS here but is no longer. I would think Ridgid would find it in their best interest to quickly appoint a new authorized service depot and especially to present a good service front. In the meantime, it would make sense to handle a simple battery replacement through a reseller than make a contractor FEDEX in his entire toolkit.

rofl, Home Depot misrepresented and told me they DID do the battery swap. I have already had to have a couple of battery replacements and that is when I found out they do not.

In any event, it appears you 2 may be typical board rats with senior member status that post only to defend whatever board you are senior on. What Ridgid is starting to do, at least in my area, is going to alienate them quickly and I assume they will go the way a couple of other tool makers have. If you want cheap tools and forever replacement, go to Canadian Tire.

Comment

Well Plumber Rick I see you just posted while I was. I could do as you suggest I guess. I will just take a few weeks off work while they check things out. I guess the fee to ship 100 or so pounds of tools out of country and back can't be all that much.

Why do they want the tools and charger? They need to check if a certain tool is causing the problem. At least thats what I have been told before.

Comment

Ridgid never mis-represented itself.

You got bad advice from a Home Depot lackey. It's unfortunate, but very common. Whatever type of work you do, you probably know better than to take advice from HD employees. Simply extend that wisdom to the areas where you don't know also.

I know they have some good employees, but it's kind of like lawyers. 98% give the other 2% a bad name.

And I don't hardly own any tools that I don't also have a back up for. Not bad for a board rat.......

Comment

Originally posted by Canucklehead View Post
                    Well Ray, did you happen to read my post? The depot that WAS here but is no longer. I would think Ridgid would find it in their best interest to quickly appoint a new authorized service depot and especially to present a good service front. In the meantime, it would make sense to handle a simple battery replacement through a reseller than make a contractor FEDEX in his entire toolkit.

Canucklehead.......Is that a knickname from people who have had to deal with you?
                    Anyway.....Yes, I did read your post and you only refer to "Depot" as something that has closed or whatever. Maybe this is "Vancuver Island speak" for Service Center? In the rest of the world we don't know that.
                    Good Luck at Canadian Tire.....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                      Canucklehead.......Is that a knickname from people who have had to deal with you?
                      Anyway.....Yes, I did read your post and you only refer to "Depot" as something that has closed or whatever. Maybe this is "Vancuver Island speak" for Service Center? In the rest of the world we don't know that.
                      Good Luck at Canadian Tire.....Ray
                      After the road rash clears up be sure to have the concussion checked EH? Read it again and pay attention to the Authorized Service Depot reference. Ridgid still misses the point. There isn't a "Service Center" within a reasonable driving distance. I am not in the sticks but in a major urban area. Its cheaper, as I just replied to a service guy, to buy a new Makita kit than to take a week off to get a battery replaced. Makes no sense to me, I guess it obviously does to you.

Comment

It's amazing how quickly this particular thread deteriorated! Take a breath and count to ten.

Canucklehead,

I understand your frustration with warranty or LLSA service, especially in light of Home Depot's giving you a story that wasn't true. All I can say there, is that Home Depot is infamous for giving their customer's stories that are no where close to the truth. It's a bad situation and one which all of us would like to see corrected.

Regarding an "Authorized Service Center" (we don't refer to them as "depots" down here) needing both the charger and the batteries, it is often the case where the charger is damaging the batteries or at least a principal cause for failure to charge properly. Therefore, a wise technician really needs to check both. However, I see no reason that all the tools have to be sent in too. That I would question with another service center.

But placing all that aside for a minute, I am sure you realize that any tool that you use for making money in your business, needs to have a back-up. While it may not appear affordable, it's really NOT affordable to not have a back-up.... nothing lasts forever or is ever 100% dependable 100% of the time.

Last, but by no means least, you really need to buy what works best for you and in your location. Certainly you can't second guess whether your local service place is going to be there forever, but when that happens, whose fault is that. I live down in New York state. My nearest service center was in Syracuse (a good three hours away). That meant UPS shipment, I sure wasn't going to drive there. They no longer service Ridgid, and now the service center is just eigth miles south of me. Nice, but I'm now moving much closer to Syracuse... guess I still use UPS.

Finally, I like Honda automobiles... but I've never owned one! Reason, the dealer is over an hour away. No thank you, it's too far to drive for service. So I picked another, more neighborly serviced brand! I have to depend on my car and I can't depend on it if service isn't local.

Sorry for your frustration,

CWS

Comment

Very well said Mr Smith.
                          I have never had much a problem with my service place, it's an electrical store that deals alot in the back with big motors.
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                          Be safe out there folks
                          Bob B
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

If I earned my livelihood with my tools, I would either deal with a company that has a local service rep, or have a backup set of tools. I know a lot of guys who utilize DeWalt within my province just because of the ease/location of getting things fixed(under warranty or not). Some guys utilize Milwaukee in certain areas because of this as well. They might be better stocked with their own replacement gear than a service guy that services 10 brands or more of power tool - he would definitely have to order something in.

There certainly is a problem with some of the Home Depot tool guys though - I've heard them countless times talk about "lifetime warranty" when LSA is the proper scenario/terminology.

Then again, I think there still has to be some prep on the owner's part. If you're going to be a heavy user, a backup set of batts and charger is the way to go. At least once a year there's a drill set on special promo that you can grab for an extra set of batts and charger. I've don't it myself and I'm only a casual user.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the customer.
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Yeesh....I just posted the above and saw that CWSmith said it all and said it better before me.

My post should have just been "What CWS said."
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X