Ridgid R4510 / 4510 / TS2400LS / 2400 vs Bosch 4100 / 4100-9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid R4510 / 4510 / TS2400LS / 2400 vs Bosch 4100 / 4100-9

One thing you need to be careful of when using a riving knife is a blade that has an extra thin kerf, i.e. the blade cut. I know on the Bosch 4100 they recommend a kerf at least .02" wider than the riving knife or you might get binding of your work piece. Also, the blade width for the Bosch they recommend to be .02" or less than the riving knife or you're negating the purpose of the riving knife. Not sure if you have changed out the stock blade for a thin kerf, but if so that may be something to check. In my case I had to call the manufacturer (Freud) to get the specs on the blade.

If you happen to get a visual on the R4510 please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jlem View Post
      One thing you need to be careful of when using a riving knife is a blade that has an extra thin kerf, i.e. the blade cut. I know on the Bosch 4100 they recommend a kerf at least .02" wider than the riving knife or you might get binding of your work piece. Also, the blade width for the Bosch they recommend to be .02" or less than the riving knife or you're negating the purpose of the riving knife. Not sure if you have changed out the stock blade for a thin kerf, but if so that may be something to check. In my case I had to call the manufacturer (Freud) to get the specs on the blade.

If you happen to get a visual on the R4510 please let me know. Thanks.
      thanks for the reply... but I am using the oem blade (for now), so thats not it unfortunately.

are you located in socal?

Comment

Yes, I live in SoCal.

Comment

The burning can be from the fence not being aligned with the blade. Especially if the fence-to-blade distance / gap is closer toward the back of the blade as the wood exits (in other words, the part of the piece being cut that is between the fence and the blade gets compressed more as it exits the back edge of the blade, versus when it first hit the front cutting edge). A very slightly widenened fence-to-blade gap toward the rear of the blade (between the rear edge and the fence) sometimes helps offset the tendency of the wood to be "compressed". Pushing at an angle (instead of straight through), side pressure at and beyond the leading edge of the blade from the outside edge of the blade (opposite the fence), misaligned knife/splitter can also contribute (as well as contribute to possible kickback). I find using a featherboard helps a lot. Not pushing through smoothly, but starting and stopping during the push, can also contribute (unfortunately, these tops aren't conducive to being waxed, which can help).

added 2-19-10: Found this page re "Why your wood is burning...". Might help. http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/07...-burning-wood/
          Last edited by rcxrc; 02-20-2010, 01:41 AM.
          RCx

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."
          --Theodore Roosevelt, "The Strenuous Life," April 10, 1899

Comment

For anyone interested, I just left the Santa, Clarita, Ca Home Depot and they have the Bosch on clearance for $299.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Two updates re the R4510 I reviewed a while ago.

Some folks have indicated they're having problems getting the zero and 45 degree set screws adjusted into giving fixed, repeatable results. I myself had to tinker for quite a while to get mine fairly close, and the result is "useable". I double check my settings and blade angles regularly anyway, but I know this will annoy those who expect their settings, as indicated on a scale, to be exactly right all of the time. It is a slight issue (one that I' ve simply learned to accomodate), but I just wanted to be clear about what I'm experiencing and hearing back compared to the somewhat idyllic, rosy review I posted earlier. I know, "Hey, it's a portable t-s. What do you expect", but noteworthy still for those considering which model to purchase.

Also, although it hasn't affected me in any noticeable way myself, it has been noted that the blade / arbor deflection observed when one cranks the arbor all the way up to the point at which it contacts the underside of the table top (to get to the 3 1/2" cut capacity) might suggest that the blade's supporting mechanism is less than rock solid and therefore probably more succeptible to inaccuracies when pressure other than direct/forward pressure is put on it.

I have since gone back to HD/Lowes and compared the physical stablility (deflection issue) of the Bosch vs the Ridgid after discussing this issue with others. The Bosch arbor system itself did feel more stable than the Ridgid. Enough to make a difference, with all of the other points to consider? I haven't noted any issues with my R4510 to suggest that it is a problem. But that is just my experience. I would appreciate any other comments / opinions on this.

If anything, this just hammers home the point that these are not meant to be ultra high-precision instruments. Enuf said.

Thanks,

P.S.

Spoke with Leecraft last week to see if their late model Ridgid T-S insert would work with the newer R4510. Was told they are working on one right now, which will hopefully be available very soon.

As far as anyone else has said (or not), Ridgid isn't yet shipping these parts, so this is the only game in town besides making your own.

Just trying to gauge interest...how many would be interested?
              Last edited by rcxrc; 04-06-2010, 03:10 PM.
              RCx

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."

Comment

Thanks for the great review! I am considering this saw (or possibly the Sears 21829) and would be very interested in any information concerning the bevel setting issue and the availability of dado and zero clearance throat plates.
                Last edited by steve_c; 03-29-2010, 10:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Fantastic review! One comment I have not seen anywhere in this thread is what the noise levels are like. I believe I read a review in a some magazine (can't remember which one anymore) and the Bosch 4100 had the best noise level (i.e. not that table saws are quiet, but the Bosch was quieter than the others).

Comment

Steve,

No one seems to be making a Dado / ZCI for this model yet. The outside dimensions of the plate are identical to the old plate, as well as the "late model Craftsman" t-s's, but the depth is all wrong, as the old models used a screw down method vs the newer spring clip design, and the older plate (ala TS2400LS) was a hollow-wall/rimmed version, vs the newer flat plate and longer set screw version (which uses tabs to rest the set screws on, vs the full-edge of the older model). Any adaption of the older ZCI's would require a major rework (I'm not too excited about running a plate of phenolic through my Makita planer). Leecraft is expecting one out soon.

The Dado inserts I ordered through EReplacementparts says "indefinite backorder" (expected, I was told, by June or July or so). Way too long. UPDATE: Apr 7, rec'd email advising estimated availability of inserts is around July 15. FYI.

Gillesroy.., The Ridgid is loud. It runs a quite a few RPM's higher than the Bosch. I read a review/post once where the writer explained the problem of posted HP being a function of high RPM motors, not true HP due to a strong motor running at a lower RPM. I haven't cut anything with the Bosch, so I couldn't comment on if either bogs down any easier than the other.

RC
                    Last edited by rcxrc; 04-08-2010, 02:10 AM.
                    RCx

Comment

Thanks for the very detailed review. I have been reading about and touching the Bosch 4100, Craftsman/Ryobi, Porter-Cable, and Ridgid (R4510?TS2400LS?TS2410). Your great review is what made me look at the Ridgid. Most of my confusion then came from trying to figure out which Ridgid you had looked and and or what it was really called.

In HD they could find no reference to the R4510. The various web sites show different saws with interchangable model #s.

If any of you are interested in this saw check the Serial number tag for the model. Mine says R4510, but the store tag says TS2400LS.

The saw feels better built than any of the others and most reviews put the Bosch and Ridgid on an even keel. My first impression of the Bosch was tarnished by the miter, which looks and feels like it came from my daughters tool box. She is 5. If the miter is trash, and it is out front, then what is the rest of the saw like. Everything on the Ridgid looks and feels solid and I especially like the on board storage (secure and easy).

HD couldn't find the saw in a box so they gave me the display model for 10% off. That and my military discount dropped the price to 404$. Unfortunately the switch lock out is missing, so I can't do anycutting until it arrives later this week.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with the Ridgid. At this price range nothing is going to be perfect, but it's a good start to "get in" at for starters on a limited budget, ltd space, etc., or for whom this saw fits a particular need better than the other options available. Wish Ridgid had more add-on options/accessories up front, but I've managed (like making my own ZCI/Dado insert out of MDF, using a flush trim router bit on the table).

Regards,
                        RCx

Comment

I am another new owner of the R4510. I purchased the saw at the Home Depot in Cranbrook, British Columbia, during a general power tool sale with a discount which was dependant on the amount spent. The regular price of the saw in Canada is currently $CA499. This placed it in the price range for a $50 discount. Raising the amount spent by another $100 qualified me for a $125 discount. Hmmm. The old brain, slow and creaky, goes to work. "If I spend another $100, I get an additional $75 off. Let's see what else I need (want)." I picked up a 12V Lithium-Ion drill-driver to complement my rather heavy and clumsy 18V LI hammer drill. So I suppose I paid between $400 and $450 for the saw, depending on how much of the $125 discount you want to assign to the saw.

I live in Nelson, BC, about 3 hours from Cranbrook. I could have gone to Spokane, but the sale was not happening in the US, and I might have had to pay duty when crossing the border. I believe the "regular" price is the same in both the US and Canada, at the moment.

Unlike some of the US stores (from what has been said here), the Cranbrook store had several of the new model in stock, and the staff in the tools/hardware section knew the difference between the old and new ones, and they knew which saw they had.

I really wanted a nice cast-iron or granite topped hyprid saw, but I don't really have room for one of those. Also, the price of a Steel City or similar saw with a Biesemyer fence in Canada is over $1,000. I looked at the Home Depot hybrid ($800), and I was disappointed with how easily the fence deflected. Anyway, this is a hobby for me and not a profession, so I can work more slowly if I have to.

I saw the comparison/review in Fine Woodworking and decided the Ridgid saw probably made more sense for my purposes. I like the Ridgid over the Bosch, because, outside of the price premium on the Bosch, I prefer the gear-driven bevel on the Ridgid.

The saw measured reasonably true right out of the box, although I don't have a micrometer. The zero on the bevel seems right on (using a 12" try square from Lee Valley), and the fence is parallel to the miter slots. The blade was just a hair closer to the miter slot at the back than at the front, so I tweaked the blade alignment to make the back of the blade a little less than 1/100" farther from the fence at the back than at the front. As recommended, I marked a tooth and measured the same tooth at both the front and the back.

A 40-tooth general purpose blade was supplied with the saw. I haven't replaced it yet.

The fence seems to lock down accurately and securely parallel to the miter slots. Since it locks at the back, it is resistant to deflection. Maybe that partly makes up for the fact that it's not a Biesemyer fence. Partly. The rear fence rail makes it more difficult to add an outfeed table, though.

I have done a variety of rip cuts in pine, fir, oak and plywood. Power seems adequate. The cuts are clean with no saw marks if the wood is fed properly. It takes more care to feed the wood properly than it does with a larger saw like a big cabinet saw, but the Ridgid does quite well for what it is. Repeat cuts are identical (as they should be). Two ripped pieces can be placed back together with one flipped relative to the other, and the outside surfaces will still be parallel (as nearly as I can measure).

I am unlikely to use it for very much crosscutting, since I have a perfectly good sliding miter saw.

I like the tool storage and the fact that the saw folds up quickly and easily.

So far, it seems like the saw will meet my needs nicely.
                          __________________________________________________ _________

Step outside. The graphics are amazing!

Comment

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and a proud new owner of a Rigid 4510 tablesaw. I have a couple of questions about the tablesaw. I am a newbie when it comes to tablesaws so please bear with me. If I were to replace my miter guage with a Incra Miter 1000SE miter guage what is the widest piece of material I would be able to crosscut safely.

Thanks
                            Quest67

Comment

Hello,

As another member asked above, what are the noise levels of the 4150 supposed to be like?

I recently bought one and startup is very noisy and rough. There is quite a bit of vibration coming from within on stat-up. It reduces after a bit but still doesn't seem quite right.

I've checked all internals for something loose, and checked everything is tightened, but no luck.

I'm wondering if this is normal.

Comment

I too would be interested in a noise level comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                X