X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid vacuum

So I get this 16 gal shop vac at Home Depot for $20. Thought it was a great deal until I used to pick up some sawdust. The lid doesn't fit tightly to the bucket. ( There's about a quarter inch side to side play) When you shut it off and go to move it sawdust spills out!

Called the 800 # and was told 2 things. Find some weatherstrip and seal the top or go to the deluxe filter. Why should I pay more to fix a design flaw, and the filter has nothing to do with the poorly fitting top. I can see why they were selling for only $20.

Will NEVER purchase another Ridgid shop vac.

Re: ridgid vacuum

Why not just take it back and exchange it for another?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Because it is much easier to b@#$h and moan then it is to take a defective product back to thew store exchange it for another unit go home and see if there is the same problem, and if the same promblem still exists then have a real reason to be aggervated.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Both my Ridgid vacs (3 gallon MaxSelect cordless, and 6 gallon 1 7/8" hose diameter plug-in) work great - no leaks, sealing issues, or otherwise. Aside from UV discoloration/bleaching to the orange plastic on my 6-gallon corded unit, things are working perfectly with them.

Comment

Well I suppose I'm doing something wrong!

I have the Ridgid 16 gallon unit..the one where you can use the motor as a leaf blower.
          I Paid around $98.00 around 8+ years ago.

I have never had a single challenge using the thing picking up dry or wet debris.

Then, I clean the filter and wipe the entire thing down when I dump the bucket. I wipe the rim especially to ensure a good seal.

My plastic motor clamp did loosen over the years and I never thought about complaining about it. Instead I simply attached a thin piece of felt to reestablish the proper friction fit and it has never failed! And we all know a tight fit is a good fit!

Perhaps we need an area to discuss how to abuse our tools [sarcasm here]

Cactus Man

Comment

Had mine for about 3 years. Sucks the dust from my table saw, band saw, miter saw, and ROS. Sucks the chips from my thickness planer and drill press. Blows the dust out of the garage/shop, as well as all the grass and crap off my lawn tractor in the warmer weather. Yeah, it sucks, it blows, and that's a good thing.

Jeez, some people would gripe even if you hung 'em with a brand new rope!!

Go

Of course, the fact that he got it for $20 may lead to "the rest of the story"
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
              Of course, the fact that he got it for $20 may lead to "the rest of the story"
              Good point. I think we can sometimes be a little quick to jump down a new posters complaint, being that time and again we tend to see someone with only one or two posts to their name complain about a "defect" to a Ridgid tool, and then disappear. I'd suppose that most of us presume this is a person on here only to flame, who knows, maybe employed by another competitor, or a fanboy of another. Who knows - we can be too quick to be harsh (me included).

But then again...it is fun after all.

But good grab, Gofor. The $20 pricetag didn't even really jump out at me. The OP could have picked it up on a clearance sale, for one that was used/cracked/damaged/missing something/etc. But, knowing some people, they'd shrug their shoulders and give a "heh, it's only $20, but it's still a Ridgid" - and then moan and complain when it doesn't perform 100%. I've seen it time and again at any of my local HDs - someone returning something that they bought (Ridgid or otherwise), on a 50% off or more sale for being a "refurbished" or "reconditioned" item (or maybe for being a damaged/missing parts unit), but then they gripe and return it because of a scratch here, or a damaged sticker there, etc., etc.

We want to pay next to nothing for what we get, but we want everything to be 100% perfect - we don't want to absorb any of the costs for actually getting quality.

Okay. Better now. Thanks.

Comment

No complaints here.

Here's mine vacuuming a vent full of rust and scale that broke lose and settled at a 90, 15' down.

I use duct tape to attach a sump pump discharge hose. It took a half hr. but it's all cleaned out and working now. They were planing on busting open walls and replacing. $$$$$$$
                Attached Files
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by thumperal View Post
                  So I get this 16 gal shop vac at Home Depot for $20. Thought it was a great deal until I used to pick up some sawdust. The lid doesn't fit tightly to the bucket. ( There's about a quarter inch side to side play) When you shut it off and go to move it sawdust spills out!

Called the 800 # and was told 2 things. Find some weatherstrip and seal the top or go to the deluxe filter. Why should I pay more to fix a design flaw, and the filter has nothing to do with the poorly fitting top. I can see why they were selling for only $20.

Will NEVER purchase another Ridgid shop vac.
                  Do you promise? This thread has the feel of one of "those". We have several models of Ridgid vacs and they have all been good performers, however if we purchased one which had the problem described by this individual, I guarantee you it would be immediately returned to Home Depot and they would replace it or refund the money. That premise is based uppon years of experience with Home Depot and having them come through with every reasonable of some over the top customer service responses. I don't know where these guys come from.
                  The mystery of the $20 Ridgid vac is solved as I rememberd a 16 gal Ridgid vac on the 2009 black friday sale. See below
                  http://bawaal.com/files/black-friday...preadsheet.xls
                  Friday, November 27, 2009
                  “Black Friday – 101”…Blog.

“Black Friday – 101”…Blog.

Did you get up early… to go shopping today? I was up before 5AM and went to my local Home Depot where I purchased a… “Rigid – 16 gallon ‘wet/dry’ Vac”… for the ridiculous price of “$19.95”. The list was ‘$99.95’ and surprisingly there were about 60 in the store.
                  I don't know what to say about old "Thumper Al"! The vac could certainly have been defective.....we all know those things happen. I don't buy the 800# phone call story. The vac covers are not totaly idiot proof. Putting them on correctly requires finding the right alignment. I just checked one of our plastic Ridgid vacs and there is no gasket or any other kind of seal to get lost. Even if he showed up at HD customer service several months after the fact without a receipt I can guarantee that HD would replace the vac unless there was obvious evidence that it had been run over by a truck, train or other large and destructive object.
                  In fact I am so confident that Home Depot would replace an undamaged Ridgid vac that had the defect old Thumper has described that I will issue the following challange. If he will travel here with the vac and go to any of our local Home Depot's with me and I am not successful getting the vac repaired or replaced I will pay his travel expenses plus $500 for his trouble and time. The only stipulations are the vac must have been purchased new at HD on or after 2009 black friday as new and undamaged and must be currently undamaged. If I am successful getting the vac repaired or replaced at one of our local HD's, old Thumper will be responsible for his own travel expenses and will pay me $500. Is Livonia in our Galaxy?
                  Your ball Thumper....Ray
                  Last edited by roadrashray; 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,

In all fairness THAT may be a valid issue, though I'm not so sure it is one worth such a strongly stated complaint! I have had similar experience with my my older model WD1245 12-gallon vacs.

I have two WD1245's that I purchased on Black Friday, 2004 for about $30 each and these really are great vacs that will literally suck the paint off the basement floor. I use them constantly and still am using the original filters, though have purchased a Hepa for dry wall dust. No complaints and they've never failed me.

BUT... as the "thump" stated, you shut them off and pick them up to move to another room or across the room and they dump dust out from between the lid and the container. I don't see that when just rolling them around, but if you grab it by the handle and lift, dust falls out between the motor and the container. Not sure if it gets trapped in the lip ring or just finds it's way off the inner lid, but it's evidence by some spillage on the floor. If you forget that and carry them up or down the stairs, you'll have to go back and do some clean up.

But, I just figure that's the way it is, there's no soft seal in the design and I suppose if there was one, it would have probably gotten damaged from all the work I put these things through. Especially when dumping or cleaning as I'm not always sitting the lid with filter upside down on the container, when removing/cleaning the filters.

So, while I do find it a bit annoying at times, the annoyance is usually at myself for forgetting that there will be dust under the lip when I lift it. Frankly, the vacs are so good in every other way that it's not worth this simple little gripe. There certainly is NO leakage or loss of vacuum while the thing is in use.

Bottom line, this is one tool that Ridgid makes that REALLY SUCKS!

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 02-02-2010, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X