X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid - Terrible Customer Service

I bought a model F60 Ridgid bench vise from MSC Industrial. (this is a $400 vise that weighs about 70 lbs).

They package this unit with the handle removed from the vise. The handle is retained by 2 small plastic rings (P/N 67472). They're about the size of a hose washer. One of them is missing and that means the handle will fall right out of the vise without it.

So what does Ridgid tell me to do?

Instead of sending me this minor part they tell me I have to return the vise and have MSC return it to Ridgid.

This is the worst customer experience I've ever had from a name brand tool company over such a minor issue. (it's part number 2 in the image). Most reputable manufacturers would gladly replace the missing part to avoid an open box return.

Never again will I choose Ridgid!!

Last edited by Davefr; 04-07-2010, 05:52 PM.

Re: Ridgid - Terrible Customer Service

I think you just may have gotten the wrong person. Many in "customer-no-service" only do as they are told when they should be trained to get things done. Within reason of course. I'm sure they get a knucklehead daily that wants a free/new "Lifetime Warranty" item that they've dropped 40' onto concrete.

But the piece you describe is a no brainer. And if MSC carries more than one of these they should just rob the part and get it from Ridgid. Happens all the time in the supply house world.

Might have just gotten the wrong person. I would have told them that they had lost their ever loving mind myself.

And why are there plastic parts on a heavy duty vise by the way?

J.C.

Comment

I would pm Josh and see what he can do for you,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks, I sent Josh a PM and will see what happens. I just need a contact at Ridgid with a little common sense.

Comment

you could always have msc order part #2 and save the hassle.

in the mean time, i'm sure a piece of rubber hose or tubing will make a decent stop to keep the handle from falling off.

do you know rookie plumber

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I just rec'd an email from cust. service saying they'll send me the missing part.

Josh was able to break thru the logjam.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you in the end. I hope you will reconsider your vow to never choose Ridgid again. Ridge Tool is a very well respected company and like any company they too can have a hiccup every now and then.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Glad to hear that everything worked out for you in the end. I hope you will reconsider your vow to never choose Ridgid again. Ridge Tool is a very well respected company and like any company they too can have a hiccup every now and then.
                Yes, it all worked out and they eventually did the right thing. Ridgid will remain on my "good guy" list.

Comment

I've said it before

But if I get that response over the phone with any mfg. of product, I instantly go and buy another exact product and rob the parts right off the item I purchased.

I don't play pansies over the phone and listen to I'm sorrys. I bought that product to use and of course; mistakes are made in the production line.

But I'm always going to buy twice and start returning product, let them RTM the product.

Let them enjoy the shrink they deal with in their inventory slag.

I expect reasonable thinking. I expect some products to have an extra one in the back as the sacrificial lamb so when these issues crop up, they keep that customer satisfied for the next sale.

Of course, you cannot do this with all products...not feasible by any stretch of the imagination.

You know these products were bought with intention of daily use, or necessity use. 4-6 weeks?

40-60 minutes tops, I'm in that store.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: I've said it before

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                    But if I get that response over the phone with any mfg. of product, I instantly go and buy another exact product and rob the parts right off the item I purchased.

I don't play pansies over the phone and listen to I'm sorrys. I bought that product to use and of course; mistakes are made in the production line.

But I'm always going to buy twice and start returning product, let them RTM the product.

Let them enjoy the shrink they deal with in their inventory slag.

I expect reasonable thinking. I expect some products to have an extra one in the back as the sacrificial lamb so when these issues crop up, they keep that customer satisfied for the next sale.

Of course, you cannot do this with all products...not feasible by any stretch of the imagination.

You know these products were bought with intention of daily use, or necessity use. 4-6 weeks?

40-60 minutes tops, I'm in that store.
                    MSC Industrial was more then willing to send me a replacement vise and prepay the shipping to have my vise returned.

However, having 75 lbs of freight criss crossing the country over such a trivial part was simply foolish.

I really like MSC and didn't want to see them go thru all this expense and hassle. That just adds to cost and ultimately pricing.

In the future I hope Ridgid empowers their customer service people to make things right. Most manufacturers go all out to avoid an open box return back to the retailer. Ridgid seems to want to default to the other extreme which can be terribly inefficient with respect to the supply chain and frustrating to their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      And why are there plastic parts on a heavy duty vise by the way?

J.C.
                      Exactly my thought. A $400 vise where the handle is retained by plastic collars? What's with that?? A vise is supposed to be a huge mass of iron that is indestructible, no?

That would bug me to no end every time I looked at it.

What happens when you overtighten it and need to smack the handle with a mallet to get it loose?

If I had no choice or otherwise ended up with it, I'd thread the ends of the handle or get/make a steel collar and cross-drill it for a roll pin or something to FIX that.

Plastic on a vise. Sheesh. What is the world coming to?

Comment

Working...
                      X