Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 - Belt Vibration

Happy New Year Everyone!

I purchased a TS3650 in December and I love it! assembly takes awhile, but it's worth it in the end. I do have one question.

When I power down the tool, and as the motor and the blade are spinning down, the drive belt vibrates quickly at about 1/3 normal operational speed. I want to know if this is normal or do I need to adjust the tension? Silly question, I know, but I want to make sure everything is working normally before the heavy use kicks in.

Thanks in advance for any info...Glen

Good question. I don't own a Ridgid, but just put together Powermatic last week and fired up Friday. I have similar thing when I power down. I think it's the brake engaging on the PM motor. But I will be calling PM tomorrow. Not much vibration but a teeny bit similar to what you are describing.

Jake

Comment

WoodworkerJake...

Thanks for the response!...I will keep you posted on what I find out...Please do the same.

Thanks! Glen

Comment

Will do. I forgot to ask my vendor today. I was busy aligning my blade to mitre guage. Have you checked your blade being parallel to mitre slot. I was burning some wood and got one of those Dial indicators. My fence was adjusted inward and my blade was .013 out of alignment.

I adjusted trunions to under .001 parallel and got fence toed out to .003 to the right. Cuts like buddah now

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Jake

Comment

Guys,
          If you're going to check with Ridgid tech, I would like to know if they mention "ctitical speed" or "harmonic imbalance" or not. My guess is that is what is causing your coastdown vibration. I have the same thing with my 3650 and I am not concerned with it.

[ 01-19-2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Jake - It's likely the vibration symptom you described is from the v-belt that came with the saw. A link belt typically resolves it.

gzaros - The Ridgid "serpentine" style belt doesn't usually have some of the vibration problems that the v-belts do, so I'd look to see if it's something else. Others have mentioned a vibration due to some bent fan blades in the motor....it's worth checking. If that's not it, there's another issue that Ridgid's tech service should get involved with.

Comment

Just talked with the dealer and he told me that all the Powermatic motors do that. It has something to do with centripital force when the motor slows down. " I remember that term from physics and things moving in circle.. " lol

Anyway, he says completely normal and since saw passes nickel test on startup and slowdown, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Jake

Comment

Man! Everyone, thanks for all your responses!!

Hewood...I assuming the link-belt is a replacement and an upgrade. Do you recommend it?

WoodWorkerJake...what is the nickel test? That's a new one for me... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Has anyone tried the AC2008, the Triple-Cutter Molder Head as a joiner on his saw? I am thinking about buying that attachement, but is it worth it?

Thanks again...

Comment

Nickel test is a test to check vibration on saw.

I've heard 2 ways to do it. One is to just stand a saw on its' side while the machine is on. < I would go nuts if a saw vibrated enough to do this > and if vibration knocks over saw, it vibrates TOO MUCH

other test is. put nickel on its side. and start machine and then let it run then turn it off. If nickel is still on it's end, its good. Since mine passes that test, I'm not worried about link belt.

Link belt FYI is a replacement part for your rubber belt. It is supposed to dramatically reduce vibration b/c the rubber belts have a memory for being stretched out in pattern for while. My machines sometimes are used daily sometimes they sit for a long while. Depends on what's goin on in my life at the moment.

Never used a link belt myself, but I have seen many people who swear by them to get rid of almost all vibration. I would maybe consider one for my bandsaw but it's not really bothering me enough to get one.. lol

Jake

Comment

Looking at purchasing a TS3650. What do you like and dilike?

Comment

Finally got a Link belt. For my bandsaw not tablesaw. My Delta bandsaw had an annoying vibration that wasn't really bothering me but noticable.

while at a Rockler sale, I saw a set for 19 bucks and picked it up. My bandsaw can now pass the nickel test < not during startup > while running. Much better feel from what I was used to. Not getting one for my Contractor saw b/c vibration is not an issue there.

Jake

Comment

Gzaros - I don't really know enough about the Ridgid drive system to advise, but I don't believe the link belts will fit on your saw without replacing the pulleys. Link belts fit "v" type pulleys. I thought that Ridgid uses the ribbed pulleys for the serpentine type belts. ???

Comment

I don't have any vibration problems on my 3650. It passes the "nickel test" just as woodworkerjake's Powermatic does. It is one of the smoothest running saws I have ever seen. Quality is great, even after production went from the USA to Taiwan, like most American companies. I also have the 13" thickness planer, oss. spindle/belt sander and 6" jointer. I love all of my RIDGID tools.

Comment

I had the same problem and asked for help in another forum but all I got was "Re-adjust the belt". Even though some people said "Don't worry about it" I was bothered by this and finally got it fixed. The problem is caused by the motor being off-center in the bracket. Loosen the 4 locknuts on the carriage bolts that hold the motor to the mounting plate and slide the plate about a 1/4" to the right (as you're looking at it), Then go back through the adjustments and alignment. My vibration completely disappeared. By the way, this will put the belt guard almost against the table stand when the blade is fully raised at 0 degrees.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in my response, but "Thanks" for everyones' input. Outrage26, your information was very helpful! I actually spent a while tuning the belt, using the method you mentioned and the one in the owner's manual. I also noticed that the pulley on the motor was loose and I tightend that as well. I have now minimized the belt vibration during power down by about 75% or more. I don't past the nickel test, but the overall vibration during saw operation is minimal in my opinion. I can actually stand a nickel up on end during operation and it doesn't fall over. I believe the saw is not 100% level do to my garage and that is why I have a hard time with the nickel test. Again, the only thing that happens is during power down (as the motor is spinning down after power has been shut-off), the belt "rumbles" and bounces a little bit just before it stops spinning. It was a lot worse before tightening the pulley and verifying the position of the motor, which I believe I could fine tune further. All in all, I love this saw and can't wait to begin using it full time! I've been delayed with my new projects do to my schedule and being under-the-weather. Thanks again to everyone for the input!

-Glen

Comment

Working...
                              X