No announcement yet.

Flip Top Stands

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip Top Stands

I tested them today (I got two for Xmas) while making trim for the bookcases I'm building for a client. WOW...all that time wasted using those pesky roller stands!! The Flip Tops are genius!

They have a superior system of locking lever on the square tube that holds the holds the tube from two sides and looks to be very sturdy. Most of you have used rollers know that the knob screws can wear out with time since the screw is the only holder. You can lock it in the horizontal position for use as a support while using the miter saw. With the four feet on each one, it's very stable. The other position is canted to catch drooping boards fromt he table saw (which works flawlessly with 1/4" plywood). The lock pin goes into the second hole which prevents the head from falling to the vertical position when there's not a board resting on it. The third position is locked vertically for storage.

I'm very impressed and it won't be long until I buy a third and fourth so that if I need them with the TS and the SCMS on the job, I won't have to "share them".

I highly recommend anyone thinking of getting new stands to look these over first...they are more than worth it!
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Thanks for the great review of the Flip Top stands Kelly... I too, have wanted to get something to help me out when sawing and such... I was thinking one would be nice but I believe you are on the right track with multiple stands... I think I will start with 2 and see how we get along from there... I don't always have someone around to assist me with my projects... The "Flip Top" just might be the answer... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\" gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\"> gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Nice thorough review Kelly. I especially liked the canted part. Ya made me reach for the dictionary on that one.

I looked at these today while I was at HD and I gotta have some. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

A few weeks ago I went to HD and I looked at the flip top and the one that I pulled out had the plastic piece that holds the pin was broken. I found one that was not broken and took it home. Like many others I to like the flip top over all however I do expect that mine to will break at some point. I would like to see Ridgid make that piece a little bit better.

I too have a Flip Top stand and think it's great. My sister gave me a $50 card at HD and I think I'll go get another one and bury my roller stand.

I have 4 flip top stands, and it's a pure miricle for us single person shops.
            I had one that broke at the pin lock also, and HD replaced it without any questions.
            I think I will get some aluminum and make a sleeve that sits over the plastic in this area to prevent future breakage.
            I find that a coat of automotive paste wax applied to the top adds even greater ease in wood sliding over them when used for outfeed supports.
            I also built a 12" wide by 8' long by 2" thick table with 1/4" plywood on top. Used scrap 3/4 plywood and cut it to fit the tops of the stands and glued them in at both ends so the table sits on 2 stands. I use this to support the end of full sheets of plywood on the left side of the table saw when cutting full sheets down. The table stores above the overhead door on the header.
            They hold 250lbs as advertised, and I use them to sit on, on occasion.
            In storage, the 4 I have fill a little nook at the end of the lathe in the corner.
            The best thing about them is they don't have to be perfectly aligned square with the stock coming out of any machinery. They will slide accross the tops in any direction.
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a>

I have been using a flip-top in my shop for several months without any problem or breakage. I like it much better than a roller for catching large boards and plywood from my table saw. It doesn't try to "steer" the cut pieces. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I believe I will wax my flip top next time I wax my table saw with Johnston's Paste Wax to improve the slippage as suggested by UO_Woody. I prefer Johnston's Paste Wax to automobile wax for my shop tools.