TP1300

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ 11-30-2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by K.M. Delano:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bob Palmateer:
      I purchased the planer recently from Home Depot. Have gone through 3 sets of blades attempting to plane 1" x 6" x 7' used oak horse fence boards. While blades were sharp, excellent. But after only a few passes the blades were dull, ripping and tearing rather than cutting. I need to plane about 130 boards but have so far only been able to complete about 15. Are carbide tipped blades sold for the planer?
      Old boards can have dirt, sand, bugs, nails etc in them that will wear the jointer blades out in little to no time. Also, the depth of cut that you are taking can have an effect on the blade wear.

It has been WELL over a year since I started this thread. I have run sevral hundred BF of hardwood through my TP1300, and I am still on the first side of my first set of blades
      </font>[/QUOTE]Thought of that. All nails had been removed. After the first set of knives were dull after about 8 boards, I used a power washer to scrub the boards before running them through the planer. Not one bit of difference. Your reply makes me think that the 2 sets of knives that came with the unit were defective. And the third set I purchased from Home Depot came in a very dusty, torn package.

Comment

Don't know what to say Bob. I guess I would have to see it kind of thing. I'm still wondering how long I'll go on that first edge.
        Support Our Troops!
        www.mnpatriotguard.org
        www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I purchased my TP1300 from Home Depot in 2002. I have not used it heavily, as I am a weekend hobbyist. In late 2003, I noticed arcing around the brush contacts with the armature. I contacted Rigid, and got no help. I bought new brushes, although the original brushes had little wear. No improvement in the arcing. In February, 2004, the motor died while I was planing some oak. I took it to a authorized Rigid repair shop, which was filled with identical planers with burnt out motors. The shop felt that they could get a new motor under warranty, due to the large number of similar failures. The planer has set on their shelf for over two months waiting on a replacement motor. The shop tells me that "Rigid takes their sweet time in shipping warranty replacements". I am thoroughly disgusted with Rigid.

Has anyone else experienced motor failure in their TP1300 ?

Comment

I just joined this forum so I could search for a solution to a similar problem. I bought a TS2400 table saw last year. A few days ago the motor started arcing badly, smoking, etc. Service center (Portland, OR) says it's still under warranty, but it would be at least two weeks before they can even look at it, and then probably two or three weeks more to get the part(s). I can't be without a table saw for a month or more! Am trying to fix it myself, even if I have to pay for a new motor assembly and have it express shipped from the factory. (Yes, I'm aware of the need to change brushes....) I've really enjoyed this saw—the best I've ever owned—but no more Ridgid products for me, I'm afraid.
            Nolo illigitamati carborundum

Comment

Ive had my planer for about a year.I use it about 5 to 6 days a week . I use only exotic hardwoods ,cocobolo, jatoba, cumaru, honduras rosewood , ipe , etc. And i have yet to have a single problem since set up.great finish , didnt think it would be that good with two blades.Once in a great while when im planeing large amounts at once the dust port will get clogged, but no big deal. I have the ridgid 2in 1 shop vac hooked to it , and does pretty good
              MY biggest complaint is the most common, i cant find blades or anything i need for ridgid tools. I have to get everything over the net and make sure i keep extras around because i know i cant go out and buy what i need from HD. This really needs to be addressed
              \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

Re: TP1300

Over 6 years now and still a great thickness planner.........
                Support Our Troops!
                www.mnpatriotguard.org
                www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I've had mine for about the same time and never had a single problem with it. Can't begin to guess how much wood it has planed down.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

One thing I should add is how long the blades have lasted. I am still on my first set! Had to flip them but they still cut real well! I assume sometime this year I will finally go to the second set of blades. I take very light (1/4 turn or less) passes so that along with the fact that I only pass clean wood through it is most likely the reason they have lasted so long. 3k bf or so I would guess?
                    Support Our Troops!
                    www.mnpatriotguard.org
                    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I haven't posted here in years, but here is the TP1300 getting a workout this weekend. I too am on the backside of my first set of blades, taking small bites on each pass to get a board that needs no sanding. Adding to an ancient post seemed to make sense!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X