Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
H-D doesn't sell sleeves for Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-D doesn't sell sleeves for Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander

I thought Ridgid was serious about being in woodworking tools. I've had my eye on the bandsaw for several months. However, that all changed when I went to Home-Depot to buy some replacement sanding sleeves for my Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. Even though H-D still sells the sander THEY NO LONGER SELL THE SLEEVES!!!! UNBELIEVABLE! When I bought this sander H-D had a supply of all different sizes and grits of sleeves. This week, when I went back to the store they wanted to sell me a multi-pack that was designed for the RYOBI. If I want 1 2" sleeve I have to buy 6 or seven - including a 3" sleeve that I can't use - just to get the one I want. And I no longer have a choice of grits. This is totally unacceptable. Sears would never do this to a customer. Ridgid and H-D should not do this either.

I also own a Ridgid reciprocating saw and a Ridgid Shop Vacuum. I switched from Craftsman on both of these items when my old ones wore out because I liked the quality of the Ridgid tools and Home Depot is a more convenient place to shop for me. However, when these tools wear out, I'll be switching to someone else.

I have a Craftsman hand drill that I bought in 1980 that I can still get parts for. I doubt I'll get that kind of support from Ridgid or H-D. Just wish I had known of your lack of commitment earlier.

You're not going to buy the Ridgid BS because you can't get a certain sanding sleeve from HD? You're going to buy a different brand of recipricating saw when yours wears out because you can't get a certain sanding sleeve from HD?You're also going to buy a different brand of shop vacuum when yours wears out because you can't get a certain sanding sleeve from HD? This place doesn't have any BS's, recip. saws or shop vacs but they'll be glad to sell you some sanding sleeves.

[ 08-27-2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave,
      Thanks for the link. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've been looking for a source like that. Have you used the supergrit brand abrasives? Just wondering how they compare to the "name brands". Thanks.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax,

I ordered some H&L discs from them for my ROS and find their quality to be as good as any other paper that I've used. They have a very large variety of product to choose from also. You can request a catalog from them right from their website or call their 800 number for probably quicker service.. Compared to what paper costs at the Big Boxes, their prices are very attractive.

Dave
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

QKPugh,

I understand your fustration. While I wouldn't go so far as to not buy particular tools that I think are good, it does make me wonder who decides what, when it comes to stocking consumable items at HD.

I have a few tools that I have purchased within the last year and simply cannot buy certain items at HD to fit them. No 6-inch sanding discs for my bench top combination sander, and they only have 80 grit belts that fit it. They carry only one "Delta" brand bandsaw blade (3/8th) to fit my little Ryobi 9-inch BS (they don't sell Delta bandsaws). The shafts on the Hickory brand router bits are too short to use with my Router/Table combination. I could mention more, but the point is, I like the tools and HD has the best selection for that. With consumable items, the selection is slim to none, but frankly better quality and price can usually be found mail order. So, that is the way I go and probably a lot of folks do the same. We just have to make sure we have some inventory so we don't run out!

Just a thought,

CWS

Comment

Try this guy out. I've bought sanding sleeves from him before and he's great to work with. He was recommended to me by someone else on the forum.

20 Ridgid Sandpaper Sleeves 1-Inch With Pad
            murph

Comment

Re: H-D doesn't sell sleeves for Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander

This thread is a little old, but I thought I would post an update for those contemplating the EB4424 oscillating spindle sander. Home Depot DOES have replacement sleeves for the sander, although I could not find them on the HD web site. I found them in-store only. The package costs about $14 and contains five 80 grit tubes and five 150 grit tubes in the five sizes. Part number is R28400. The full title is: RIDGID/Sandpaper Sleeve 10 Pack for EB4424. If you are looking for many sleeves of a single size, it looks like HD does not have them, and you will have to try the alternative suppliers in this thread. However, keep in mind that the sanding belt itself is readily available. In any case this does not sound like a deal breaker to me.

Comment

Originally posted by imported_gkpugh View Post
                I thought Ridgid was serious about being in woodworking tools. I've had my eye on the bandsaw for several months. However, that all changed when I went to Home-Depot to buy some replacement sanding sleeves for my Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. Even though H-D still sells the sander THEY NO LONGER SELL THE SLEEVES!!!! UNBELIEVABLE! When I bought this sander H-D had a supply of all different sizes and grits of sleeves. This week, when I went back to the store they wanted to sell me a multi-pack that was designed for the RYOBI. If I want 1 2" sleeve I have to buy 6 or seven - including a 3" sleeve that I can't use - just to get the one I want. And I no longer have a choice of grits. This is totally unacceptable. Sears would never do this to a customer. Ridgid and H-D should not do this either.

I also own a Ridgid reciprocating saw and a Ridgid Shop Vacuum. I switched from Craftsman on both of these items when my old ones wore out because I liked the quality of the Ridgid tools and Home Depot is a more convenient place to shop for me. However, when these tools wear out, I'll be switching to someone else.

I have a Craftsman hand drill that I bought in 1980 that I can still get parts for. I doubt I'll get that kind of support from Ridgid or H-D. Just wish I had known of your lack of commitment earlier.
                I own scads of Ridgid tools, including the 14-inch band saw, 15-inch drill press, 12-inch sliding compound miter saw, 6-inch random-orbit sander, oil-free compressor, framing nailer, 6-inch jointer, and two shop vacs and they all work very well. I also own scads of Ryobi tools.

Anyway, I purchased a Ryobi spindle sander some time ago (a clearance item that allowed the manager to sell it to me for $67 instead of the $100 list). While the Ridgid version has its advantages over the Ryobi (one of those is the belt conversion, which I do not need, since I have a separatge and larger belt sander, anyway) the Ryobi has one nice advantage over the Ridgid: its biggest sleeve is a 3 incher, whereas the biggest sleeve on the Ridgid is only 2 inches. I like that larger size at times.

Unfortunately, HD gradually ran out of sleeves for the Ryobi sander, just as they appear to be doing for the Ridgid in your area (although both of my local stores still have Ridgid sleeves). They do that with many items, such as the replacement blades for the Ryobi AP1300 thickness planer. (Yeah, you can get the blades direct from Ryobi, but the price is highway robbery, since they quote about $20 bucks for each, but the blades only come in two-blade packs, meaning that the two-blade price is actually closer to $40.)

Getting back to sanding sleeves, fortunately, Grizzly offers a huge selection of them in their catalog and you can get all you can use from them. The quality is good. Unfortunately, they do not sell blades for the Ryobi planer, but at least you and I now have a source for sanding sleeves.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

I have not yet had a problem with my Home Depot not carrying the replacement sleeves. Unfortunately they only carry them in full packs, so say if you only need to replace the 1" sleeve, you have to buy them all...

Comment

HD did it again to me with their shop vacuum. Ridgid changed the design of the filter to get rid of the built in bottom plate. Understandable - that was an expensive design. But, using the new filter required a separate bottom plate. Did they have the bottom plate in stock? No. Did they have any of the old style filters in stock? No. I asked the "tool" guy what I was supposed to do. He said "call Ridgid." So I had to wait a week to change the filter. Ridgid did send me the plate free - not even any shipping charges. BUT WHO MAKES THESE DECISIONS?

At any rate - it seems that raising a little heck in posts like these has some effect. I recently found the Ridgid packs of spindle sandpaper. You can no longer buy two-packs of a single size in four different grits. But you don't have to buy the Ryobi with sizes you don't need and can't use. Rockler is still probably a better bet for these. Also, you can get the bottom plates for the vacuum filters in the store.

Just keep pushing back on these folks. They'll either start thinking about the customers on their own or eventually respond to complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Ferstler View Post
                      I own scads of Ridgid tools, including the 14-inch band saw, 15-inch drill press, 12-inch sliding compound miter saw, 6-inch random-orbit sander, oil-free compressor, framing nailer, 6-inch jointer, and two shop vacs and they all work very well. I also own scads of Ryobi tools.

Anyway, I purchased a Ryobi spindle sander some time ago (a clearance item that allowed the manager to sell it to me for $67 instead of the $100 list). While the Ridgid version has its advantages over the Ryobi (one of those is the belt conversion, which I do not need, since I have a separatge and larger belt sander, anyway) the Ryobi has one nice advantage over the Ridgid: its biggest sleeve is a 3 incher, whereas the biggest sleeve on the Ridgid is only 2 inches. I like that larger size at times.

Unfortunately, HD gradually ran out of sleeves for the Ryobi sander, just as they appear to be doing for the Ridgid in your area (although both of my local stores still have Ridgid sleeves). They do that with many items, such as the replacement blades for the Ryobi AP1300 thickness planer. (Yeah, you can get the blades direct from Ryobi, but the price is highway robbery, since they quote about $20 bucks for each, but the blades only come in two-blade packs, meaning that the two-blade price is actually closer to $40.)

Getting back to sanding sleeves, fortunately, Grizzly offers a huge selection of them in their catalog and you can get all you can use from them. The quality is good. Unfortunately, they do not sell blades for the Ryobi planer, but at least you and I now have a source for sanding sleeves.

Howard Ferstler
                      I'm glad to hear it!

I recently got the Ridgid sander off of eBay... It appears to me that those sanding sleeves are permanently affixed to those rubber spindles.

The Manual says to use talcum powder to get them ON...

But, says NOTHING about how to get them OFF...

How do you get them OFF? Cut and take a chance of ruining the rubber?
                      Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

I've been fortunate here in Canada (Northwestern Ontario), our store has a good supply of the Ridge Drum kits (combo kit of coarse/fine) for $30.00 Canadian. They've also got a great supply of belts as well, various grits. (thinking about all of the previous reviews I read regarding lack of supply, I stocked up on them when I saw them!)

With that said, the one item I'm really glad I picked up was the unit itself, I don't know how I managed without it. I've since used this sander on almost every project since.

Dan
                        Thunder Bay, ON Canaduh!

Comment

OK, I guess there are drum refills are available in Canada...

Anywhere in the USA?

I did find some good quality belts from Klingspor... at very reasonable prices too!

Thank you...
                          Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Lyddon View Post
                            OK, I guess there are drum refills are available in Canada...

Anywhere in the USA?

I did find some good quality belts from Klingspor... at very reasonable prices too!

Thank you...
                            Joe, I'll dig out the product number and see if that helps you in the US, I would assume if they number is the same they should be able to order them for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X