X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid cordless drills blow

These cordless ridgid drills suck. The batteries hold a charge for about 45 min. drilling into sheetrock and some studs, if the outside temperature gets above 80* the charger won't charge, and I bought mine in november and it went up in a cloud of smoke 2 days ago. I should have bought a craftsman.

Ridgeds 18V cordless drill has some type of problem where the motor just siezes! I have went through 4 in 4 months. Not even loading the drill, just driving screws. PIECE OF JUNK

Comment

I'm sure glad that I saw that write up on the cordless drill..I was contemplating a new 14.4, or 18vlt drill. The transmission on my makita went out. NOT EVEN A YEAR OLD! Now what do I do...Anyway..Anyone got a good idea for a drill...Thanks in advance...

Comment

Makita has a 1 year warranty on their tools. Check your owners manual for details.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I dont know about you guy's but I got a 3 year warrenty with my stuff and I'm pleased so far!

Be safe out there.
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          Be safe out there folks
          Bob B
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Just bought the 12 volt x2 at home depot, on clearance for $99. A plumber i work for bought the 18 volt x2 combo kit and gave away his dewalts. He said he wont ever go back to yellow.

Comment

Ok, ok, i'll eat my last post. X2s goin back to the big orange box. After a test run, the chuck has noticeable wobble. It was scratched new out of the box, leading me to believe it was "mishandled" over in China. HOWEVER,I built a custom cabinet to hold and display this drill which could pass for art, and I plan to happily bring home a fresh new X2, they (at least the new models) are well built, and recieved high marks from a leading woodworking magazine. Only con was the weight. My PC 19.2 volt is lighter than this 12 volt!! O well, that builds muscle.

Comment

Just bought the R922 4 piece kit back in Nov. I work in air conditioning so I need GOOD tools. So far I've burned up a 12 volt Dewalt, and broke the main shaft on a PC 19.2. All I can say is that this is by far the best drill kit I've owned. My 19.2 volt Craftsman kit just got passed down to my wife (LOL).

Comment

This tool bashing has got me on end.CWS and badgerdave have said how it is about power!If you wana burn up your cordless tools working them like a plug in shame on you.Cordless are for convenience and I still stand by there usefulness,although when I can plug in, unlimited power is the only way to go on the job site!
                  I meny times I wonder if the truth is realy spoken about the break downs with ridged cordless.
                  I know they have a chuck proublem.Mine's not that bad-my co workers Is.I think I'ts the jacobs chuck!!! my arber runs true on the drill.No one on my side of town has had a major proulbem yet. I don't beleave much silly talk till I can see it with my own eyes!!!

Be safe out there folks.
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                  Be safe out there folks
                  Bob B
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I seen this old post and replyed again to closetmaker not very good diging up bones, I looked back and saw the date and said whoops!

sorry folks.
                    Bob B
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                    Be safe out there folks
                    Bob B
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I have multiple ridgid cordless drills and corded drills. I have for one come to learn that Bob B is right. There is a time and place for cordless, and when you should be using a corded drill is not the time. But what do I know. I am just a printer by day, DIY'er by weekend. Thanks for all the posts.
                      \"Somewhere between the computer plans and picking up a hammer, something goes terribly wrong...\"

Comment

ridgidnut, I wish I knew enough about printing, but I think I'll just wake up to a coffee and a hammer in my hands

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B

[ 02-24-2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: bob bridgewater ]
                        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                        Be safe out there folks
                        Bob B
                        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I'm a construction pro, and will tell you this. The following hold up and perform the best:

Cordless Drills: Milwaukee. Performs best by far. I've dropped them off scissor lifts, had them in water, and they still perform.

Circular Saws: Nothing beats a Skil wormdrive.

Electric Sawzal: Again, Milwaukee. It has better control, and holds up better than any sawzal I've ever seen.

Roto-Hammer: Hiliti. The best by far.

Electric Drills: Milwaukee. For heavy work their "Hole-Hawg" is the best electric drill made.

Pipe Machines: Ridgid. I have some argument with their recent quality control, but nothing threads better. I'd buy one over a Rothenberger any day.

Portable Band Saw: Milwaukee.

This is obviously the choice of a pro, and a DIY may not require that type of quality. But as a final note I would suggest staying away from Dewalt and Craftsman power tools. In my opinion neither are worth the money.
                          the dog

Comment

I have burned up and stripped gears in every corded drill I have purchased. Granted these were $50-$100 drills, not $250 professional models.

I have found the 18V Ridgid Cordless I purchased to be more powerful and more reliable.

Comment

bob bridgewater mentioned that Ridgid has a chuck problem. I have had my cordless 18V drill for a while and I have a wobble in it. is their a fix for this? it would seem like all that would need to be done is to simply change out the chuck for a new one. does anyone know if a new chuck is available?

Comment

Working...
                              X