No announcement yet.

What is wrong with the TS3650's legs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I called ridgid tools and told them about the wobble in the their tables saws.... they said they would send out a rep to "correct the problem".... well they did send out the rep, and the problem did get a tad better, but the table saw STILL wobbles like a bowl of jello......

Me think they know they have lemons on their hands, and hence the recent fire sale discounts on their so called table saw (In the case of ridgind I use that term loosely)...

Comment

Originally posted by smart1:
      I called ridgid tools and told them about the wobble in the their tables saws.... they said they would send out a rep to "correct the problem".... well they did send out the rep, and the problem did get a tad better, but the table saw STILL wobbles like a bowl of jello......

Me think they know they have lemons on their hands, and hence the recent fire sale discounts on their so called table saw (In the case of ridgind I use that term loosely)...
      [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] X 10
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I think scwood nailed it. If its not perfect fix it! As for other people thinking HD has a lemon on there hands, I dont think something that doesn't really present a problem makes the saw a lemon. The problem is you want a $600 saw to be as good as a $2500 saw. Buy a Uni or Jet and look at how solid the legs are for hours on end.

Comment

hi all

i have extensive experience with industrial grade table saws and this are my two cents.

for starters a commercial/industrial table saw will cost you as much as 4 folds more. at the moment this table saw is currently priced at $550 at HD which isn't bad for the money.

the legs are indeed weak and do wobble a bit, in my experience it wasn't much of a problem as it is possible to rip full sheets of plywood if as with any other saw your are set up right. from my observation (and like some one mentioned earlier on this thread) the wobble problem can be helped a great deal with the addition of some diagonal braces and some beefier bolts.

as i am used to working with much powerful industrial table saws i noticed the motor of this saw is noticeable weak but what can you expect from a sub $600 saw? the fence it self is also weak, very weak as a matter of fact but like i said, for the price you're all ready getting plenty.

if any thing, a little bit of ingenuity can cure the wobble, the motor is strong enough to do the job (i can't account for its longevity though) but the fence guide leaves much to be desired. if you absolutely need dead on accuracy then i suggest installing a biesemeyer fence kit.

all in all the ts 3650 isn't a bad table saw for the money

Comment

Hi Everyone!
            I'm new to this forum but i also wanted to chime in about the TS3650's legs. I too have been in the market for a new table saw and considered the 3650 until every Home Depot I've been to has had a display with wobbly legs. The tool guys at those places have also blamed it on poor setup because of it only being a display model. Well, if that's the case then 1.why is every one noticing it and 2.why are the other display models from different manufacturers stable? Do they just do a poor job on the Ridgid saws? If i'm going to fork out that kind of cash I think the stand, which i'm assuming would be the cheapest part to manufacture, would at least be stable. At this point I thinking seriously about the new Craftsman 22114.

Thanks

[ 01-05-2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: scrambler28 ]
            "Semper Fi"
            "A man who farts in church sits in own pew"

Comment

Do they just do a poor job on the Ridgid saws?
              Yes, and the HD people also make a special effort to dig a trough in the arbor of the 3650 so it won't spin a dado correctly.
              At this point I thinking seriously about the new Craftsman 22114.
              You and alot of other smart people in this price range.

Comment

My TS3650 motor went out after about a month. Luckily, an authorized repair center was within 20 miles. Took the motor in (not the whole saw, only after a quick phone call) and had a brand new one back in less than 2 weeks. Not terrific, but at least I didnt have to ship it off to Egypt.

Comment

Re: What is wrong with the TS3650's legs?

What is wrong with the 3650's legs?

Nothing. If you grab the saw and push and pull on it, will the base flex slightly? Sure it will. Is there a practical limit in cost and weight in a contractor's saw base to the amount of material that can be incorporated? Of course.

Does the slight flex ever actually affect the functionality of the saw in its intended purpose? No. In no normal use will you ever exert the amount of side forces required to make the flex. Think about it; you press forward on the saw with only a few pounds force when feeding work into it. The slight fraction of an inch it might move will not be descernable without a dial caliper.

To read the above posts one would believe the saw wiggles like it is supported from a rope.

I really have no idea what the issue is here.

Comment

OK Here is comes, my one cent worth.

How about looking hard for a good used Delta Unisaw or USA made Powermatic model 66 and not have all of these problems? They are out there and I've seen some nice ones in the $600-$800 range. Now you have a real machine that's worth adding to and a lasting investment where if you do need to sell it later on you'll get most if not all of your money back.

Comment

"I really have no idea what the issue is here."

Spoken like someone from the design team(my guess), not a user. Could it be? Or is it just coincidence that you list your location as Ohio, home state of RIDGID.

I don't bother checking people's profiles, people are free to write in there whatever you want, there is no way to validate it. I could say I was a VP of Marketing for Emerson Tool or I could say I am a used car salesman, there would be no way to know for sure for the average user here.

Anyway, what I think most people are seeing and gives them a bad impression of the saw is the poorly assembled floor models you will find in 8 out of 10 stores.

If you went to a car dealers lot and a new vehicle had a nice big puddle of tranny fluid under it would you think twice about buying it? I'll bet you would.
                      How is a shaky display model any different? It's all the customer has to judge the quality of the item they are about to put out a decent chunk of cash for. They're basically buying it sight unseen, you've got to expect people to be hesitant when the display is not assembled correctly or has parts missing or damaged.
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

When I was looking at the TS3650, man oh man was that sucker wiggly, at the store that is. The rest of the saw looked absolutely awesome. I new the bolts were all lose on the stand, because I got down on my knee's and looked. I also new if I had to strengthen the stand up I could, so far I do not need to do that to mine. All in all, absolutely a fantastic saw for that price.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Bob,

You would not by chance wear aluminum foil on your head and hang out near area 51, would you?

Yes, you have caught me. I am a Ridgid engineer who assumes a false identity and makes false claims on websites in a grand conspiracy to deceive people into buying our products. Also, I am new at this, so I forgot to enter a false state.

You should apply to the NSA, assuredly they could use someone with your keen investigative skills.

IButler

Comment

Originally posted by IButler View Post
                            Bob,

You would not by chance wear aluminum foil on your head and hang out near area 51, would you?

Yes, you have caught me. I am a Ridgid engineer who assumes a false identity and makes false claims on websites in a grand conspiracy to deceive people into buying our products. Also, I am new at this, so I forgot to enter a false state.

You should apply to the NSA, assuredly they could use someone with your keen investigative skills.

IButler
                            HaHaaaaa , what is this world coming to.
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I guess you could think I am a Ridgid plant also, because I am very satisfied with the TS3650. There are some prerequisites that the manufacturers do not put in the manual that many people fail to read anyway. (Rant mode: "On" because of some of the drivel I see posted)
                              1. The manufacturer assumes you are more intelligent than the tool. You can prove this by reading the owner's manual. If you read it and do not understand it and post a question: Good on Ya! You have proved you are smart enough to know what you don't know and seek knowledge to understand it. If you are having problems and have not read the manual, please get off your lazy "I want you to hand me everything without me working for it" behind and take the time to do so. Or, take the saw back and consider another hobby.
                              2. The high cost of today's tools are not totally the result of tool manufacturers trying to "screw you". A large part of the cost is due to the people not smarter than the tool, who don't read the manual or have a clue about personal responsibility to "think" before acting that, however, are crafty enough to hire an ambulance-chasing lawyer to sue for megabucks in front of an equally clueless jury who thinks that the government and the supplier should make them absolutely safe from their own stupidity.
                              3. Taking the above two points into consideration, you are not going to get heavy industrial grade power, stability, and longevity in a 110v tool for 1/4th the price.

Realize the grade of tool you have and work within the tool's capabilty. A man who trys to have his one ox pull the load of two soon ends up with only one dead ox and none to pull the wagon.

JMTCW
                              Go

PS The only Ridgid tools I own are several pipe wrenches, the TS3650, and a shop vac. I only have a s much credibility as any other poster on the internet, which is nada. (Rant mode: "Off")
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Wobbly legs on my TS3650 are a non-issue. See my comment #4 on this post.

- djb

PS - No, I am not a Ridgid plant on this forum...
                                sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Working...
                                X