No announcement yet.

What is wrong with the TS3650's legs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is wrong with the TS3650's legs?

I've had my 3650 for 8 months. I wheel it in and out of my garage regularly to work with. The legs are quite steady and I do not sense any wobble when sawing.
    The saw cuts true to square and had not had to tighten any components. My fence also locks into place with no movement.

The only improvement I'd like to see is moving the bevel adjuster to a more convenient access point. Stooping down on one knee to adjust the bevel is not my favorite thing to do.

Comment

Have my legs been flexing...yep For the better part of the little over a year I've had my saw there has been an annoying forward and back rocking . Went out last night determined toget to the bottom of it, literally.Crawling around the cold garage floor, I found that every screw that attaches the legs to the saw was loose. A 'couple so loose they just dangled. Once i tightened them down the saw stood rock solid

djame

Comment

just bought my TS yesterday... started the assembly today...the legs are solid!!!

great site....great info
        m e l c h m a n

Comment

Originally posted by imported_smart1 View Post
          Hello,

I was looking at the TS3650 in HD, and the legs seemed very weak. The whole thing shook without much effort. I noticed on the bottom of the legs there is small plastic pad about the size of a quarter -seems rather cheap to support something as heavy as this table saw...

Is this just a poorly assembled HD table saw, or is this thing really that poorly designed?

Keith
          The leg set is a bit shaky but I doubt that a properly assembled saw is as bad as the one on display. There are a few easy tricks to improving the stability of the 3650, do some searching and you should find at least three or four long threads on this subject with some pics of various users solutions.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I just purchased the TS3650 earlier this month and I personally thought the legs are quite sturdy. I don't see flex being an issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by zxaaxz View Post
              At the bottom of this post you can see what I did to stiffen the legs. It was easy and cheap. Should you have to do something like this? /shrug. It was easy and I have no problem messing with things to make them perform as I like.

forum pictures of leg braces
              I don't know what this link is supposed to show it just takes me to the main page and no pictures

Comment

Harrison the link doesnt work because it is almost 4 years old

Comment

I have purchased the TS 3660. By no means is this a piece of junk. Maybe I dont try to be as critical as most of you guys. Sure there are a couple of things I would like to see changed but when it comes down to it I am totally satisfied. Maybe it is just that I am very thankful to have such a good table saw especially since I came from an old direct drive Craftsman. I am a retired machinist and have been enjoying woodworking for the past 35 years. I admit I wish the legs on my 3660 were a little stiffer but sometime in the future when I get time I will remedy that problem myself. Right now I am too busy making sawdust.

Comment

Interesting replies. Most of the complaints/concerns about this saw come from those who have never actually used the saw. Those that have used it don't find the legs a serious issue. Me thinks the guys that have actually used the saw have more credibility.

Comment

I used one, the first model and they were not very stable in my view. The saw could be twisted and I had issues cutting heavy sheet goods. They even had a pic for a while on this site of leg panel type braces, which soon disappeared from this site when we asked if we could get them. The main problems are the countersinking of the carriage bolts leaving little surface contact on the braces which is just a bad idea, and the type or gauge of the steel. My saw base was also an issue in connecting to the legs, it would flex and it would also bow outward at the 45* bevel stop. My older sears emerson saw did not do that. I am much happier with my Unisaw and CM 22124, both with commercial Biesmeyer fences. I personally would not want any contractor saw with the hybrid designs available. The newer saws may be different, but it is a light weight build with zinc alloy trunnions, Al fence/rails. I also did not like the holes in the CI wings. For the money I think you are better off buying a used Cab saw, or hybrid . The LSA is worthless if you have to take your saw over 3hr round trip 2x's to a service center in LA traffic, and I was not about to repair/replace the defective arbor myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X