X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v X2 drill and Home Depot policy

I purchased the 4 piece kit on 12/23/03 at Home Depot. I am an electrcian, commercial and industrial, and was working on a new Home depot store at the time. I have used every brand of cordless tool there is and own most of them. All of the hype lead me to the rigid purchase, especially the lifetime warranty and replacement promise.

The other day, while drilling a hole in a beam with a 5/8" auger bit, the bit caught and bound up. The drill motor kept trying to turn and started to smoke. I was able to remove the battery--after my brain kicked in and manually backed the bit out. There was zero-nada-thermal overload protection, if I had not removed the battery the drill would have toasted. I continued to use the battery until it went flat, swapped batteries and kept drilling. I charged both batteries and went home for the weekend.

Yesterday, while drilling with a 3" hole saw, the bit caught and it happened again. Motor smoked and I removed the battery. This time the battery was totally flat (on a fresh charge) I changed batteries and nothing. Two dead batteries. Put them on the charger and nothing, charger would not kick in or program, totally dead. Not good.
    I left the job site, went back to my office to get my HD receipt and went to the HD where I purchased the tools. The gal at the return desk called the gent from the tool corral. I explained to him what happened and asked for replacement. He informed me that the entire kit, all pieces, would have to be sent back to the factory and the factory would decide to repair or replace, time--3 to 4 weeks. I sorta went wild, what about the lifetime replacement I asked. Well it seems that HD policy now is to send it back to the factory, so much for the hype about lifetime replacement. The gent told me that this policy was in effect at the time I purchased and I was told about it. NOT SO. I said that I would contact the store manager at the HD that I had just finished and ask him for a courtesy replacement, even though it meant a 4 hour round trip to the next state. That was better than a 3-4 week wait. Then the tool gent said, well maybe we could run it by his store manager. After a few minutes I was told that I was the "luckiest guy in the world", because they would give me a complete new kit. I got my new kit, but I don't need this grief. I purchase a lot of material and tooling from HD in 2 states. This did not impress me and the rigid tools concern me.

Every other cordless tool that I own has a thermal overload to protect the motor and the battery. IS THIS MISSING ON THE RIGID TOOLS?

warden

That is a concern of mine as well, would anyone from RIDGID like to let us know please.
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!!

Comment

Well, first of all, I think everyone has to realize there are 2 companies dealing with 2 different warranties.

Now HD may have whatever warranty they want, but once that runs out, then, yes, you would have to go to an authorized Ridgid Service depot, or have HD send it to one. The lifetime warranty is Ridgid's, not HD's. Perhaps HD was shirking their responsiblities, and maybe Ridgid should know about that, but I don't think you should blame Ridgid. In any situation, you can bring/send the tool yourself to an authorized service center.

Myself, I am lucky, in that there is an authorized center here, so I don't have to go to HD if I don't want to.

I do think the part about sending every part of the kit was completely wrong. What happens if the flashlight gets stolen? Is that the end of the warranty? I do not believe this is the case, as HD is not the company offering the lifetime warranty, but Ridgid. HD is merely interpreting the terms, however right or wrong.

Rixel

[ 02-25-2004, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Rixel ]

Comment

I should clarify, I don't give two shakes about the warranty. Yes it is nice to have, but I think I might buy a new drill if I had to wait 4 weeks to have my current one worked on. I was looking to find out about the thermal overload protection. Thanks
        When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!!

Comment

It would be nice if Rigid would respond to the concern about thermal overload. I got the impression that this board was for Rigid, not some fooozie wannabe site.
          warden

ps. For Rigid, I've got a lot of friends in the trade. We talk, we listen and we buy (that is if it is worth buying and we are beginning to wonder)

Comment

I purchesed a 4pc kit mid Dec and have used it only moderatly. I am happy with the performance of the tools except for two things. The lock system on the recip saw is not top notch and lets the blade slip out under straining situitions. Not a real big deal, However the battery life did not impress me at all. It is a good thing that one battery charges in 20 min because sometimes it barly lasts that long. Today I went to my local HD and asked about getting them swapped out and it was no problem. I took in my batteries and reciept and had brand new batteries in 10 min. I hope I just got a bad set. Anyone else have trouble with this?

Comment

When you say a 3" hole saw what are you drilling through?

Comment

I bought two 4 pc packs in january. One pack gets used constantly - the other....well, it sits, mostly - not for long though. I had a bad battery and Hd replaced it promptly.

The kits work great.....except for battery life. They wear out in 20 mins too with good use. I have another 3 pc kit one of the workers bought for himself, so we have 6 batteries to keep charged at all times....that makes it nice.

I don't know what I would do if I only had the two batteries that came with the kit and were using the drill and circular saw at the same time.

Maybe that's why Rigid is giving an extra away now.

amazonjim9@aol.com

Comment

I thought that everyone put in thermal protection these days, they are cheep enough if you design it in.

I do hope they are reading this, and do fix this, i have B&D rechargables and was thinking of Ridgid for when i have to replace them.
                  but will have to check on the thermal protection before i buy.
                  If you cann\'t over engineer it, you\'re not thinking hard enough.

Comment

About the No Down Time thing... I remember back in December when I bought my first 4Pc, I bought it because the Tim the tool man at Home Depot's sales pitch of the week was "and the best thing of all, if your tool goes bad, you bring it back here and we will give you another one! No hastles.". Boy, from hearing you guys, I guess it was poppycock. I hope not. So far I haven't had any trouble with mine, however, being a DIY'er, I am sure I do not put it to the test that most of you guys do. I own a lot of Ridgid tools from the buying spree I went on because I am remodeling my house. I hope I haven't just screwed up buying them. Oh, well. I guess we will see.
                    \"Somewhere between the computer plans and picking up a hammer, something goes terribly wrong...\"

Comment

ridgidnut if you don't mind me asking,with no disrespect what is a DIY'er. There is still alot I don't know yet!

Bob B

Besafe out there folks.
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                      Be safe out there folks
                      Bob B
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Originally posted by rmurf69:
                        When you say a 3" hole saw what are you drilling through?
                        I have the same question. I've spent alot of time in this forum bashing Ridgid for foreign outsourcing. But let's be fair. In my opinion, this drill went through an ordeal.

That said, this does not excuse Home Depot.
                        the dog

Comment

Working...
                        X