18 volt hammer drill (junk)!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 volt hammer drill (junk)!!!!

I bought a 18v hammer drill in the lifetime warranty period, The first one, the variable speed went out, The second one the variable speed went out and i continued to use it until it started smoking and burned up. The third one, the chuck broke and you could not put a small drill bit in it and expect it to drill straight. The fourth one, it just quit, no warning, no smoke, I tried different batteries and I heard a click. It must have been a thermal fuse in the batteries that was blowing because they would not do anything in the charger. Every one of these drills i have taken back to HD and have not had much problem getting a whole new kit. As long as i dont have to go to a service center and wait weeks for a repair i guess i will just keep returning them. A brand new line of cordless tools from a manufacturer that has never sold cordless tools is bound to have problems. I have noticed a couple of changes since the first drill and i am hoping Ridgid is continuing to develop these tools and get the bugs worked out. I do not use this tool on a full time basis ,just night/weekend cabinet work. Four strikes is about enough, if this one breaks i will be real tempted to go buy a Milwaukee!!

three strikes is about enough for me! I have the kit, no proublems yet with my ridged set,but if I do I will make a stink about it.

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Be safe out there folks
    Bob B
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

STRIKE FIVE!!!!!!!!! I got the new drill and the chuck wobbled. I put a small drill bit in it about 1/4 deep in the chuck and one of the teeth bent and would not clamp together evenly. I took it back to HD and swapped for a new one with no problem. I should have known to NEVER buy any (MADE IN CHINA) piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have had some bad tool day's also,I fell for you brother!

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B.
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Be safe out there folks
        Bob B
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

ridgid is junk. i have a 18v drill and in less than 3months the charger caught on fire. luckily i saw it and through in hte drive way. no damage to my house. the sander i have goes through hook and loop pads about every 3 months. want something that will last? buy american, buy milwaukee.

Comment

First of all milwakee was bought out by the Home Depot, so I would not suggest buying it. This summer i used the Ridgid SCMS, and what a heap of junk I thought it was. Changing the mitre settings was awkward, and the "laser" was an 1/8" off. So I say buy Hitachi, i have the new 18V combo kit, and it is great, and i look forward to buying the new Hitachi SCMS

Comment

Dave, just to set the record straight, Milwaukee Electric Tools was not an acquisition of Home Depot. Milwaukee was purchased by TTI(Techtronics Industries), who also happen to own OWT(One World Technologies) which makes the Ryobi brand of tools. Home Depot does sell Ryobi and some Milwaukee tools but thats as far as that relationship goes.

BTW, OWT has also been licensed by Emerson, Ridgids parent, to manufacture some but not all of the Ridgid power tools. To put another persistant rumor to rest, Home Depot does not own Emerson/Ridgid either.
              I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

One thing to add for dave. All lasers that are blade mounted project the beam down the side of the blade. Set the beam at the edge of your cut line and it is perfect every time. You can get some with frame mounted lasers that can be set right on the cut line, but they need to be adjusted quite frequently to keep them on line.It takes exactly 2 cuts on pieces of scrap to learn how to use a blade mounted laser properly. LOL
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                X