No announcement yet.

Stuff your lifetime warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The explanation of how the lifetime warranty works has been explained on more than one occassion on these pages by a RIDGID rep. How many times can we expect them to perform that redundant task? Granted it's kind of a PITA to use but there is a SEARCH feature at the top of the page that can be utilized to check and see if a certain subject has or has not been covered already by earlier threads.

Pretty much like the Ryobi forum site, Ridgid has provided this forum for the use of its members and not as a corporate Complaint Dept. If someone has a question that they feel needs to be adressed by RIDGID directly then this is not the place to go if you expect to receive a timely answer. That type of service is the function of the Customer Service Dept. Unlike the Ryobi forum site where you never see any corporate presence whatsoever, RIDGID reps do contribute from time to time on this site.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I agree with Badger dave here. You used the drill and it wore out...now that is not a warrenty issue...you do not get new tires when they wear down!!! The problem here is ridgid is claiming professional grade tools and the best warrenty in the business...but you people that bought into that dont understand what the word warrenty means...it is to cover a company against lemons or defective workmanship...it is not to protect your from user defect. With that said a warrenty does not imply how quickly you get your tools repaired. I knew within one week of the launch of ridgid that service was going to be a problem... The parts are in China and Germany where Ridgid is produced...so it takes time to get it over hear. Not to mention not many people want to service the tools because it takes so long and pisses off customers like your self. The only complaint that you have is that service takes to long...the only two options that you have is to buy a tools with a better service department...DeWalt or Milwaukee or call ridgid and let them know they need to find a way to get there parts over hear quickly. For all of you guys that dropped 4000 dollars on a new unproven tool company like ridgid... I have some beach front property in Kansas...The property has a lifetime warrenty. give me a call

Comment

ought the combo pac dec of 03 . the drill lasted less than 9 months, the batteries never did hold a charge. The morons at home depot are no help.Now I have to drive 40 miles to drop off my work tools for an undisclosed amount of time to be repaired on what I thought was a lifetime warranty. My customers have a problem, I drop what I'm doing to respond and take care of the problem.Tough to do without tools !! I'll be dragging out the DeWalt tools I thought were junk.Another five hundred dollar lesson. How about some fine upstanding lawyer starting a class action suit on behalf of all those that were lied to about this life time warranty,. Home Depot led me to deleave that if I needed service bring the tool in and we'll give you another one,no questions, just show the receipt, in fact he gave me a half a dozen receipts, to make sure I didn't lose one. corporate greed I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER RIDGID TOOL AGAIN,NOT SO MUCH AS A TUBING CUTTER

Comment

I too bought the rigid for the life time warranty. First my batt. died Home Depot said they were not warr. I bought new one $80 dollars.
          that was 4 month's after buing it. One month later my drill quit I took it to a service department that was three month's ago. The motor is still on back order. All I got was I'm sorry.

Comment

Man, there sure is a lot of discussion here and I'm not sure if HD truly understands what is and what isn't covered. With regard to "free replacement" of the tool, I have yet to see that written anywhere. The original "limited lifetime service warranty" advertisement reads, "Includes free service on normal wear items like batteries, brushes, motors, gears and switches." It says nothing about free tool replacement!

With regard to redemption, it further reads, "Bring your tool with original purchase receipt to your local Authorized Service Center for RIDGID Power tools." It say nothing about returning them to HD for replacement or for service handling!

The Ad goes on to state, " Excludes, blades, bits, sanding paper and other Consumable Accessories. Also excludes misuse or abuse." The battery is NOT a "consumable accessory" and therefore IT IS covered and should be replace free of charge for as long as you own/use the tool. However, HD will not do the replacement, but the service center should.

Bottom line is that some HD personnel have tried to be helpful by simply offering to replace the tool (which now would only have the 3-year warranty) in some cases. The biggest problem however seems to be that customers try to take HD to task for a product warranty that they didn't issue.

CWS

Comment

I wanted to add this note, from copy of the original HD advertizement that I have... this was printed in the HD flyer and not on the Ridgid tool introduction insert:

"When you purchase RIDGID Power Tools between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31, 2003, you'll never have to worry about paying for servicing your tool again. The warranty covers normal wear on everything but consumable accessories, so you can replace brushes, switches, cords, motors, gears, fences, even cordless battery packs for the life of the tool. Just keep your original sales receipt as proof of purchase and you're always covered."

Now, that tells me that they won't replace the tool! But, they will repair it...FREE! And, that includes battery packs. And furthermore, in consideration that the motor is pretty much the heart of the tool... they'll even repair that! So, I guess that they'll repair it for as long as I own it... short of total and complete destruction of every component at once. So, I guess I need to keep the tool from drowning, being stolen, or being incinerated.

I made sure I kept a copy of the original advertisements, sales introduction flyer, and of course the original posted warranty. But, all things considered, the warranty is Ridgid's, and not Home Depot's.

CWS

Comment

i have yet to see a power tool that has a free lifetime warranty... the factory might as well close shop if its true..

Comment

Well now you have, for those Ridgid tools that were purchased between 09/01/03 and 01/31/04.
                  I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Labman, you do not get a lifetime warranty with craftsman tools. this RIdgid lifetime warranty covers mfgr defect/not abuse. the funny thing is that as you descibe it, it is a mfgr defect..not normal wear/tear/andor usage. carry it up the chain. in my opinion, if you like the drill otherwise spend a few bucks and replace the chuck with a (jacobs), not sure if the warranty center would need to see the whole product or just the chuck..tell them for the inconvienece they need to allow you to just return the chuck! My friend has a ridgid 18 volt and it is an impressive unit. they came out after i bought my newest cordless and i swear by it. it is the Hilti SF-121 A. yes it is a 12 V model but otperforms (in my opinion they perform better than anythingn 14 volt and above.

bottom line, force the issue, take it as high as it needs to go. everyone has a boss!it may taks some time and headache, but take it to the next highest level until they stand behind it.

i have owned several cordless and got sick of buying a new one every couple of yers, so i bought the hilti and could not have been happier. another qulity brand is milwaukee!

good lick
                    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I like the lifetime warr. this means they will fix my peice of junk for free. I've had it for 8 month's three of which is in the repair shop. I thought that the warr. ment they were selling a product they believe in, not a peice of junk. Rigid told me they had over 200 motors on back order. I just think the repairs should be quick so we can get back to work.

Comment

Some of you seem to think other warrantys or products are better. I've seen Milwaukee listed as better service.

I bought 2 combo packs of Milwaukees 18V. 5 year warranty. Within 2 months I had a drill switch fail. No warranty, since it had been used the failure was wear related. Had two chargers fail within less than two years (the warranty specifically states chargers are included in the 5 year warranty). Because they had been used the failure was wear related and thus the warranty would not apply. Within 1.5 years one of the Recriprocating saws failed.

I've had 5 out of 11 batteries die within two years with an average of 120 - 150 cycles. Milwaukee advertises 500-1000 cycles.

The point is, Milwaukee tools are no better, and their warranty seems to be even worse.

Comment

No warranty, since it had been used the failure was wear related.
                          This is a load of BS - who is feeding you this info. I would be over the counter on this. Wear related - come here and I'll make you wear it....then its wear related.

Big Box stores are really messing with customer service. There edict to make more money more money - at what cost???

Oh btw - as a large scale buyer - I do not get any hassels in warranty items - they either take it back or lose the business. I don't deal with big box stores - I deal with local companies that believe in Customer service - not stores that just promise it.

Take a new look at your smaller local vendors - you might get more respect and service from them.
                          Call Sign: Crom

Comment

I purchased a 18v drill in the lifetime warranty period last year. I had for a little over thirty days and it gave up the ghost, in the middle of a job in a remote location. I cheerfully gathered up the POS and my receipt and marched back to HD to get a new one. I was met with resistance at first, but I was not leaving until I got some satisfaction, ie a new drill. I did leave there that evening with a new drill only to have the tranny malfunction and a shoddy chuck break a couple of bits. My solution was to pack up the new drill that I had fought hard for and take it right back to HD and exchanged it for a Milwauk. The End of My Woes.
                            It seems to me like you all are not demanding satisfaction. Don't ever believe what the Customer Service Rep says at the initial contact. You are negotiating every step of the way. Don't get violent or vulgar, be persistent and don't give in. Since this unfortunate occurence, I have found a nice local Milwauk dealer who takes customer service seriously and I cannot be happier.
                            Vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

thers a lot of interpretation on this so called "lifetime warranty" thing.. depend on who youre talking to..

Comment

As a plumbing contractor..I ahve learned to steer away from buting tools ad the big box stores..They steal your mind by offering lamo warranties only to put you to India when u need customer service..I buy my tools where i buy my plumbing supplies...that way if I have a problem..My salesman will go out of his way to replace my tool instead of losing a customer...

Ridgid has a lifelong lesson to learn in customer service:

A shopper is a person who comes in and buys a tool.

A customer is someone who returns.

Comment

Working...
                                X